• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about Seagate 7200.10 drives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

icantfindone

I have 4 of these in my computer. 3 of them are in raid0 runnings windows. I just got a 4th one in the mail the other day, to install linux on. I noticed that when I took it out of the packaging, it had a jumper on it, which apparently limits it to 150 mb/s operation, instead of 300. I also noticed that the 3 already installed in my computer have the same jumpers on them.

Question: Can I simply turn off my computer, and remove these jumpers, turn it back on, and everything work? Just faster? Or would I have to rebuild the array, reinstall windows, experience crash, or other disaster?

Thanks.

I think you can remove the jumper safely. It will just change the SATA mode to SATA2. No data will be erased.

I can see you're using Intel ICH7R Raid from your sig.

The fun part, don't remove those jumper 1st, do some benchmark and save it. Now remove it, and do the same benchmark again and compare ! :D

Fyi, that jumper is limiting your transfer speed to 1.5Gbps, and by removing them it will goes to 3.0 Gbps. Yes, I know the mechanical part in the drive system won't congest even that 1.5Gbps, but it will definately improve your drive performance when the mobo hit the onboard memory/cache in those drive.

Yeah, I hadn't noticed the jumper when I first installed them and removing it didn't cause any problems. However, while it might improve HD benchmarks, there was no noticeable improvement in any aspect of system performance.

>HyperlogiK< said:
Yeah, I hadn't noticed the jumper when I first installed them and removing it didn't cause any problems. However, while it might improve HD benchmarks, there was no noticeable improvement in any aspect of system performance.
So I guess theres no reason to go digging through the firehazard I call wire management to see if mine has on aswell is there?

freakdiablo said:
So I guess theres no reason to go digging through the firehazard I call wire management to see if mine has on aswell is there?
Correct, there should be absolutely no difference if that jumper is there or not. HDD technology right now can't even max out the bandwidth of a single SATA 1 line, let alone come even close to saturating a SATA 2 line...

yeah I wouldn't have said so, bing is probably right about there being some performance boost as far as hits to the drive cache are concerned but I'm not convinced that this is noticeable in most 'real world' situations.

Last edited:
I don't say you'll get 100% percent boost ! But again it cost icantfindone nothing ! :)

I think you guys missed his fine print, he is using 3 7200.10 drives in raid 0 on Intel ICH7R chipset, which is well known to access those in drive cache efficiently.

Assuming those are with 16MB cache model "EACH".

To icantfindone : Just simple one pic will explain it all.

7200.10 jumper.PNG

And please don't say it doesn't make any difference "AT ALL". That is misleading.

Last edited:
bing said:
And please don't say it doesn't make any difference "AT ALL". That is misleading.
I'm sorry, I'll reword it. :bday:

You will never notice a difference as the bus of SATA1 CANNOT BE SATURATED with HDD containing today's technology. There should be absolutely no difference.

Better? :p

EDIT: On your picture. What do I 'want' the lines to limited at? Of course, 3Gbps. Does it matter which one it is? No. Also, are you thinking that when you RAID, the RAID partition (many HDD) are on 1 SATA channel...because that is false. Each HDD has its own SATA channel regardless if it is in RAID or not. I'm not saying don't remove the pins, I'm saying if they are buried in your case, it is not worth it to tear everything apart to remove something that doesn't affect performance. :bday:

if you went through the effort to set up raid you might as well take the time to remove the jumper. If you only had one 7200.10 drive running windows there really is not that much of a reason to remove it other than benching.

Removed the jumpers, and my computer didnt recognize the array anymore. Said the volume wasnt bootable. So I threw the jumpers back on, and it works again. Oh well. . .

Sorry to hear about the raid. If it was Raid1, you could just recreate the mirrors... You could try removing the jumpers and see if you can recreate the raid. Go into your Raid utility just after POST.

icantfindone said:
Removed the jumpers, and my computer didnt recognize the array anymore. Said the volume wasnt bootable. So I threw the jumpers back on, and it works again. Oh well. . .

I'm sorry to hear that, I didn't have any problems when I did it.

Back