• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

couple drives in RAID 0 with a nightly backup on another drive??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Relentless_Engr

For my new build I'm looking to go with a SSD boot drive that I'll configure first, and once set up add 3 or 4 mechanical drives in RAID for storage.

I was wanting to put them in raid0 for speed and have software keep a nightly (or whatever specified time) backup on another mechanical drive (obviously 3 or 4 times as big as the rest).

Is this possible to do?
I am assuming I will need a raid controller, my understand is that on board raid is just software and not that great.

What controller would be the best for my needs?
Would an Asus raidr SSD boot drive, 3 or 4 WD black drives in raid and a large WD red drive for backup work well for this?
What would be the best software to handle making the backup and will it do it automatically?

The rest of my system will be:
Mobo: asus rampage IV black LGA 2011
CPU: Intel i7 4930k
Ram: g.skill trident X
GPUs and PSU are still undecided.

Thanks!

Its possible, sure.

Onboard RAID should be fine for your needs, actually. But it is tied to the board/chipset. So if you want the flexibility of that setup in another system you would want a discrete card.

YOu can get a RAIDR if you are all about the bling, sure. But there are less expensive drives that perform quite well (Samsung 850 Pro..OCZ 150, etc).

Acronis is solid as far as back up software but there are others as well (tons of threads on those here already... give the forums a search).

I'm planning to have my case be a desk with a glass top so "bling" is a small factor.

I'm probably going to go with a controller card, any suggestion on which ones I should be looking at?

Back