• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting a old game to run on XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jetster220

Hi guys, Ive got a couple of old classic games from Maxxis, Im sure you all remember SimTower and SimCity 2000 :), well I got a itch to play them but not sure what to do to get em to run on XP.

If right-clicking the shortcut and running it in "compatibility mode" doesn't help, go Google for a freeware app called "DosBOX". It will make your world much easier :)

If they are windows games, then running in compatibility mode (2k or 98, etc) should work.

If they are dos games - http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net/ download dfend, which is just dosbox with a nice front end. Install it, and then put the games in c:/program files/dfend/virtual harddrive/ (Which becomes c: when you start dosbox via dfend.)

I found a copy of VMware and got it running on WIndows 98 through that, but I think I discovered my whole problem was the CD I originally had was no good because I still couldnt install it to 98 off that CD, I ended up finding a free copy online that worked, so I may give it another go getting it to work on XP.

Back