• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FireFox3 broken???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
This is what I've been getting more and more :mad:

Nothing but Chinese characters and no images on most links I've been going to lately. Several of the latest stories from Overclockers.com front page are this way now.

㸍ਉउ㱡⁨牥昽∮ⸯ瑯灩捬楳琯楮摥砰㜮慳瀣䉕奉乇⁁䑖䥃䔢㸼戾㱦潮琠獩穥㴢ⴱ∾䉕奉乇⁁䑖䥃䔼⽦潮琾㰯戾㰯愾㱢爾ഊउ़愠桲敦㴢⸮⽴潰楣汩獴⽩湤數〸⹡獰 ⍂堠䍏佌䕒∾㱢㸼景湴⁳楺攽∭ㄢ㹂堠䍏佌䕒㰯景湴㸼⽢㸼⽡㸼扲㸍ਉउ㱡⁨牥昽∮ⸯ瑯灩捬楳琯楮摥砰㤮慳瀣䍁卅⁃住䱉乇∾㱢㸼景湴⁳楺攽∭ㄢ㹃䅓䔠䍏佌䥎䜼⽦潮琾㰯戾㰯愾㱢爾ഊउ़愠桲敦㴢⸮⽴潰楣汩獴⽩湤數㄰⹡獰⍃䅓䔠剅噉䕗匢㸼戾㱦潮琠獩穥㴢ⴱ∾䍁卅⁒䕖䥅坓㰯景湴㸼⽢㸼⽡㸼扲㸍ਉउ㱡⁨牥昽∮ⸯ瑯灩捬楳琯楮摥砱ㄮ慳瀣䍏乔䕓呓∾㱢㸼景湴⁳楺攽∭ㄢ㹃低呅協匼⽦潮琾㰯戾㰯愾㱢爾ഊउ़愠桲敦㴢⸮⽴潰楣汩獴⽩湤數ㄲ⹡獰⍃低呒佌䱅剓∾㱢㸼景湴⁳楺攽∭ㄢ㹃低呒佌䱅剓㰯景湴㸼⽢㸼⽡㸼扲㸍ਉउ㱡⁨牥昽∮ⸯ瑯灩捬楳琯楮摥砱㌮慳瀣䍐唠剅噉䕗匠䅎䐠呉偓∾㱢㸼景湴⁳楺攽∭ㄢ㹃偕⁒䕖䥅坓⁁乄⁔䥐匼⽦潮琾㰯戾㰯愾㱢爾ഊउ़愠桲敦㴢⸮⽴潰楣汩獴⽩湤數ㄴ⹡獰⍈䅒䐠䑒䥖䕓∾㱢㸼景湴⁳楺攽∭ㄢ㹈䅒䐠䑒䥖䕓㰯景湴㸼⽢㸼⽡㸼扲㸍ਉउ㱡⁨牥昽∮ⸯ瑯灩捬楳琯楮摥砱㔮慳瀣䡅䅔卉之⁒䕖䥅坓⁁乄⁔䥐匢㸼戾㱦潮琠獩穥㴢ⴱ∾䡅䅔卉之⁒䕖坓⁁乄⁔䥐匼⽦潮琾㰯戾㰯愾㱢爾ഊउ़愠桲敦㴢⸮⽴潰楣汩獴⽩湤數ㄶ⹡獰⍈啍䅎⁉乔䕒䕓吢㸼戾㱦潮琠獩穥㴢ⴱ∾䡕䵁丠䥎呅剅協㰯景湴㸼⽢㸼⽡㸼扲㸍ਉउ㱡⁨牥昽∮ⸯ瑯灩捬楳琯楮摥砱㜮慳瀣䵅䵏剙∾㱢㸼景湴⁳楺攽∭ㄢ㹍䕍佒夼⽦潮琾㰯戾㰯愾ഊउ़ 愠桲敦㴢⸮⽴潰楣汩獴⽩湤數ㄸ⹡獰⍍䥓䍅䱌䅎䕏啓∾㱢㸼景湴⁳楺攽∭ㄢ㹍䥓䍅䱌䅎䕏啓㰯景湴㸼⽢㸼⽡㸼扲㸍ਉउ㱡⁨牥昽∮ⸯ瑯灩捬楳琯楮摥砱㤮慳瀣䵏呈䕒䉏䅒䐠剅噉䕗匢㸼戾㱦潮琠獩穥㴢ⴱ∾䵏呈䕒䉏䅒䐠剅噉䕗匼⽦潮琾㰯戾㰯愾㱢爾ഊउ़愠桲敦㴢⸮⽴潰楣汩獴⽩湤數㈰⹡獰⍏噅剃䱏䍋䥎䜠䕘偅剉䕎䍅匠䅎䐠呉偓 ∾㱢㸼景湴⁳楺攽∭ㄢ㹏噅剃䱏䍋
IE7 works just fine. I'm about to nuke this and go back to FF2.

Do you have an example? I have yet to see one that does that.

All those links work fine for me in FF3. No strange characters.

Can you take a SS of what you see and post a link to that?

I'm sure you've already checked, but just in case you haven't... View | Character Encoding-->Auto-Detect, and More Encodings--> East Asian. Also try running Firefox in Safe Mode (Start | Programs | Mozilla Firefox | Mozilla Firefox--> Safe Mode.) You could also type the following in the Run box...

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -safe-mode, or firefox -safe-mode

a)
View menu
-> character encoding
make sure 'Western' is selected. (one of the options is korean, maybe somehow you got switched to that?)

b)
Tools menu
-> options

Click 'content' tab at the top

On this menu, check out both the 'advanced' button and the 'languages' button and make sure nothing wonky is in effect.

Character encoding Western & unicode

FF3 safe mode still = 瑯灩捬楳琯楮摥砰㜮慳瀣䉕奉乇 !!!

Attachments

• FF3.jpg
    FF3.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Try deleting your Mozilla Application Data folder.

Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Mozilla

Make sure you backup any bookmarks you may have (although you really ought to have foxmarks).

Sorry for not getting back sooner.

I decided to blow away the entire installation, including user data app folders, because there was a lot of legacy files left over from the FF2 browser I upgraded from.

It seems a clean install is always the best policy when installing software IMHO.

It works great now.

Glad it's fixed, but the fix you used makes me die inside a little. (for my own situation.)

My ff3 install is the latest link in a long upgrade path starting with pre "1.0" firefox. Cookies, saved passwords, etc. I think I would be lost if I had a catastrophic multi-hd failure and lost it. =p

(And I tell people how to do this all the time, so finding out that there is the potential for this sort of problematic result is dissapointing.)

Try deleting your Mozilla Application Data folder.

Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Mozilla

Make sure you backup any bookmarks you may have (although you really ought to have foxmarks).

and just for the record, on vista it should be:
Code:
C:\Users\USERNAME\Application Data\Mozilla

:)

the theme from the screenshot gave it away. you never know who might find this in a google search with the same problem...

*edit: i am doing this from memory as i haven't used vista in about a year

All was not lost. Of course I saved my bookmarks.html file and used that to restore my bookmarks once I was done clean installing FF3.

I lost my cookies but that's OK because I probably needed to clear out all the old ones anyway.

Back