• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is HD5870 overpriced?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yea it could be buggy.. The first Stalker game was SUPER buggy!

what kind of score does your setup get you in 3dmark06 with no changes to the test?

Yea it could be buggy.. The first Stalker game was SUPER buggy!

what kind of score does your setup get you in 3dmark06 with no changes to the test?

I ran the test at 1920 with all the stuff turned up, but not the advanced.

06 scores are on the sheet...

Attachments

• oking.jpg
    oking.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 145
3dmark06 run @ 1920 x 1080

I ran full 3dmark06 test again..

1920 x 1080, you can see the settings in the jpg

3dmark06run2.jpg

Tokae, put your system specs in your sig...I forget what you are running. :D

I looked around to add a signature.. but I couldnt find where to! I was under my profile and saw the 'about me' spot.. but I didnt have the option to make a sig.. Can anyone help me with this? :(

updated 3dmark06 run

Well I went out and bought another 920, a D0.. Cranked the bclk up to 200, re-ran the test,

3dmark06d0i7.jpg

Another 2000 points roughly!

Keep your "worth every penny" commentary in your own book!!!

Paying 3,5X more money for a card that only delivers 2X the performance is the most stupid thing i could think off... Unless you really have so much money that you don't care.. In my book i call it - irrational . Especially considering the fact, that for ATI it is only like 1,2X - 1,5X times more expensive to make a HD5870 than HD4870. And they sell it like 2,8 times more expensive - a total rip off.

This is the same case when NVIDIA released GTX280 and you could buy two 8800GT cards for less money and get the same performance - i see the same stupid pattern in ATI now.

The man who bought a HD4870 1 Gb for a 100 bucks must be the luckiest son of a gun in the world..

Instead of responding directly to your post, as other have already said anything I would have said, I will again respond directly to the title of this thread.

While the 4870 1GB is currently a great deal (especially used) and it is no slouch, is it the 5870 overpriced? No.

You pay top dollar for a 5870 but you get top performance and graphics out of it as well. We're looking at close to double the performance of my 4870, WITH DX11 SUPPORT (that the 4870 does not have) for about 2.5x the price. (when comparing new vs new). I only had to pay $250 for mine, as the reselling of the "old" card helped towards the new card cost. I have done this when upgrading my hardware for a while to stay top of the line. I rarely own a video card for longer than 1 year, let alone 6 months.

I personally don't have or like motherboards that crossfire (16/16) and I don't like any possible issues that can happen with crossfire or honestly the power usage/heat. My energy bill is already $70 for a single person in a smaller apartment that is rarely lived in.

All in all I would make the purchase again and feel very happy with it. Unlike how I felt about my 8800 Ultra purchase at $650.

If I wanted the best bang for my buck deal, while still staying top of the line, I would definitely get a 5850. I encouraged my dad to upgrade his 8800GTX when it died to a 5850 and he has been extremely happy with it.

For a super tight budget (like mine) there is always the open box option.

There was a 5870 2GB ASUS, that went in the matter of minutes at $377.

Just remember you only have a 15 day return policy though.

GLTY

Back