• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I change the microphone on my headset?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bt1740

So my microphone isn't too good.
So I opened up my headset and saw that it was connected to this sort of green card with one or two wires. I was wondering if I could somehow cut that connection with scissor or a knife or something and take my other microphone and use it's wires and somehow connect it to the green card?
I hope this isn't too confusing. Thank you.

Sure, the mics could be diff specs, might not work. All you need is a soldering iron and a bit of practice soldering. Pick up a small cheapy from Radio Shack and go to town, have fun.

Okay but the problem is that I want to connect a 3.5 audio wire to it

You should just be able to buy a 3.5mm female jack, solder it to your headset's mic wires, and plug in any standard 3.5mm microphone to it.

Okay, hopefully it does work.
What I'm going to do is use a 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male wire, cut the wire in half, use the side that has the wires sticking out, solder it with the wires I cut from the headset, then plug the other side of the 3.5mm wire into my computer. Because I want to play the audio from my computer and have it play through the microphone.
Would this work?
Sorry if it was a bit confusing to understand this

I don't want it to play through the microphone, uhh it's like Instead of the microphone sending my voice let's say over skype when I speak, I want the microphone to send the audio it's given from the computer through skype, that's why I'm connecting it from my computer to the headset.
Do you know what I mean?

So you want whatever sound is output from your computer to be fed back into the microphone and transmitted? Why would you want to do that? I'm not sure if it would work like that or not, something tells me probably not.

I thought from the OP that your mic on your headset was busted and you wanted to replace it without having to trash your whole headset.

Oh, well yes it does work because I've seen people doing it, only difference was that their headsets had a detachable mic. Reason I want to do it is because I'm going to use my laptop's microphone, have a auto-tune software on my laptop, what I speak will go through the auto-tune software, then go out through the speakers (but in our case a 3.5mm wire is connected in the headphone jack), the wire is going to be connected to the headset, and then my auto-tune'd voice will be transmitted. Just to mess with people.

Could you provide us with a video or direct information of other people "doing it"?

I don't think you quite understand what it is you are trying to go for here. If you have a working microphone on your headset, simply use the auto tune software on the pc and when you speak into the mic, it should be auto tuned. If you want to hear yourself while talking (if that's what you have been meaning), go to your Recording Devices, Right click Microphone and go to Properties, then under the Listen tab, check the box next to "Listen to this device".

Doing that will allow you to hear yourself in the autotuned form through your headset.

If that is not what you are asking, I have no idea then. As you don't need to do anything in order to use voice morphing/changing software as far as rewiring a mic, headset, or anything of the sort.

You're right, but Skype was an example. I would do what you said but the problem is that I'm doing this for my PS3, the headset is a bluetooth headset. Sorry I know I left details out, should have been more clearer.
As for other people doing it:
I can't find the video, but the guy removed his microphone from his headset (he had a detachable mic headset), used a 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male wire, conected one end in the jack on his headset, the other end to his iPad's headphone jack, then when he would speak through his iPad's microphone, it would return his auto-tune'd voice to his headset which was connected to his PS3.

Back