• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Life Expectancy Just As Good On A Small OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dfox

I have a MSI K7N2 Delta 2, running a XP 3000+ 166/333MHz and Corsair XMS 2x512=1GB DDR400/PC3200C2.

Now given my cpu is 333 FSB I'd like to pump it up to the level of a 3200. My motherboard allows overclocking of the multipliers and FSB, so if I bumped the CPU up around the level of a 3200:

11x/200
12x/210
13x180

Something in this range and took the memory up a notch, which even though it is CAS2, because I'm running a XP right now it only wants to run at CAS2.5 and bump that to CAS2, these small changes in overclocking to the cpu and memory wouldn't really be considered extreme would they, or any overclock no matter how little still can put a big strain on parts?

I have been into performance gaming for years, so I'm not new to any of this, BUT I've never been into doing a OC of fear of shorting the life of my system.

PLEASE do tell.

THANKS

P.S. I have a Tsunami Dream case with side, front and rear cooling:
http://www.thermaltake.com/xaserCase/tsunami/swa/swa.htm

The cpu has a Volcano Silent Boost HSF, with artic silver 5 on it:
http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/volcano/rs/a1889a.htm

So on the cooling side of things I think I have that covered fairly well.

Your computer's lifespan is still good. It's when you really overheat it that the lifespan drops. My celeron 2.0 @ 2.6 has been running fine for a long time. A small overclock like yours shouldn't put a dent in the lifespan.

Thanks

Thanks Dan, I would like to get it possibly a little over a 3200, forgot to mention that, if 2.3ghz or 2.4ghz might not be bad. From what I remember isn't the best always to keep the multiplier low, so for a 3000+ 333MHz it's 13x, so if I want to get close to the FSB of the 3200 and get over the CPU possibly 12x/180 or so might be a good way to go?

Would in the 2.3ghz range of a 400FSB not be hard on this thing?

How far in overclocking can one go on something like this to where you are not pushing the hardware?

For me this looks like a 200-300Mhz increase on the cpu.

THANKS

:welcome: to the Forum!
With an XP system it's best to get your FSB as high as possible. I would lower your multi to 11 and shoot for the XP 3200 clock of 11x200. I can do it with my xp2500, but it takes 1.8 volts to do it. Yours should do it more easily. You neglected to mention your cooling. If you are using stock cooling then I would not want to be giving it too much extra voltage. An 11x200 clock should not produce too much heat. Taking it higher will. I would not go there without some decent cooling.

I have a friend who runs his Athlon XP at 2.3ghz all the time, and it's perfectly fine. I'm sure yours will be fine too.

rseven I mentioned my cooling and Dan ok. What voltage are you talking about rseven?

And to do a OC on this would it be best to keep the multiplier at 11x like rseven said and push it up from there, so like:

11x/210 or tad past 11/215 so I can get around 2.3ghz/400FSB

THANKS

P.S. Forgot to mention would SiSoft's Sandra be enough to stress test the OC to make sure its stable and I'm not getting errors on the CPU? Or what's the deal with this Burn6 or is there anything else, or what's considered the best for testing the system to make sure it's running correct and stable?

Last edited:
So you did. Sorry, I missed it. Then 2300 is a good goal to shoot for. I use Prime95 and Super Pi to test for stability. Super Pi is quick, but Prime needs to run at least 12 hours. I don't figure it's stable till I can pass all of the Prime tests and Super Pi. It takes a while, but the I can rest pretty easy. Good luck.

hmm...so ur saying EVEN with the proper cooling, if ur cpu really doesnt get anyhigher than stock outta the box (or 1 degree or so) EVEN when u raise the voltage...it will still hurt the life of it...? and now, if that's a yes....by how much?

Yes, extra voltage even without extra heat will shorten the life of a CPU. How much? No one can really tell you for certain as every chip is different. I wouldn't get overly concerned about it. Generally the XP's are a pretty tough lot and can handle a fair amount of abuse. If you keep your overvolting and temps modest you should be fine.

Hey, congrats on your first star!

Hmm

One of the OC tuts on the site talks about setting the multiplier very low and test up from there. This one mentioned starting at like 8x Personally that seems a bit overkill.

I thought since mine is on 13x that going 11x like a 3200+ would be fine.

Super PI Ver1.1e is the latest from here?

http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=36

THANKS

oh...:D thank u!

now..for optys...i heard of SO many ppl getting a 3.0GHz+ clock, and with UNDER 1.6v. someone, with 1.4v got a clock to a little over 2800MHz with a 146...but only 1.4v...that's not too bad is it?

Forgot

Forgot to mention is WCPUID and Motherboard Monitor5 good to use?

I've played with them both, but just want some opinons, as well as if there might be better.

THANKS

DasFox said:
Forgot to mention is WCPUID and Motherboard Monitor5 good to use?

I've played with them both, but just want some opinons, as well as if there might be better.

THANKS
They are both fine. There is also SpeedFan for monitoring voltage, temps and fan speeds.

Crap I'm Bumming

I tried to do a OC on my CPU on my XP 3000. NOW I didnt touch the chip as far as trying to unlock it, BUT I read that some BIOS can unolock it, so in the bios I set it to 9.5x/200, now the thing wont boot and I cleared the cmos and took at the battery a few times and I cant get it to boot, the monitor won't come up. I cant believe this would of killed it, damm I'm bumming and if I get this thing to boot I'm never messing with this.

AHHH :(

Try to clear cmos remove the motherboard 3.3 battery and unplug the power from psu for about a min then see what happens when you hook it back up and try to boot. Also you might be able to hold insert while tabbing delete when you 1st power it up to get it to post.

What?

OK QUESTION?

I did not unlock the chip, I read that some motherboards let you change the multipliers anyways in the bios, SO if this is true and all I did was set this on:

9.5x/200

Even though the chip was locked, this isn't going to kill it is it?

I cleared the cmos, took out the battery, unpluged the power cord, still no luck, won't boot, SO hold down what keys while starting it?

THANKS

Sheesh I can't believe that something like this killed it, I mean I never touched anything other then the multi and FSB putting it on

9.5x/200

Take it easy I doubt you killed it. Try taking out the 3.3v battery and unplug the psu and clear the cmos like 30 times in a row. Just pull the jumper off and on 20-30 times, then put the cmos jumper into boot position, reinsert the battery, and power up the psu. This has always worked for me when I tried to boot with incompatible settings on my dfi nforce2 board. Some people have left the jumper in the clear position for several hours also.

This problem is pretty common on the dfi nforce2 boards, and nforce2 boards in general I think. For some reason it can be difficult to fully clear the cmos if you try to boot with bad memory timings or cpu multipliers.I'm assuming that is the case here, but I could be wrong.

There is no way that would do in your board. Remove the battery, unplug the PSU. discharge any electrical charge by pressing your start switch. Then move your cmos jumper and leave it there for a minute or two before moving it back. Make sure you have the jumper set correctly as it's easy to confuse and have it set to clear. Good luck.

Back