• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sandy Died :( Force upgraded to Haswell.. So happy with it!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadInsane

Hi all,

So I'd been running my sandybridge i5 2500K at 4.5ghz for ALMOST 3 yrs. and it just literally died out of nowhere 2 weeks ago. dead as a doornail. Psu wouldn't even turn on. RIP. :mad:

My pc shut off in the middle of doing something. just DEAD. thought it was my PSU. bought a new one, returned it. Bought a new mobo (p67 pro) nope, the CPU LED lit up on that one to red. Anyhow turns out it was my CPU and so I jumped ship to Haswell and an Asus z87-a board from a local PC shop. Got it up and running at 4.4ghz and 1.2v rock solid. Feels more solid than the sandy chip, everything is just much snappier. I'm sure the sata3 ports are better, better support for SSD's etc. Just overall a better build. anyhow, I hope this post was worth the 12 seconds of your life. :popcorn: Haswell is awesome! the benchmarks dont tell you about having a "snappier" system. they just say 10-15% increase over sandy. Anyhow I think it's worth it. :bday:

I had enough of sandy after 3 dead CPUs and 2 dead mobos ( +1 for 2 months on RMA replacement to B3 rev ).
It's pretty good chip if it's running @4.4GHz 1.20V.
Regarding performance it's from 0 to 30% faster clock to clock, depends what are you using but games and other things are really working good even at lower clocks.

What voltage were you running your 2500k at? I am just curious because I have a 980x that has been at 4.2ghz @ 1.28v for the past 2.5 years 24/7 and now I am worried!

The voltage he runs his Sandybridge based CPU has nothing to do with your previous generation Hex core voltage. That said, its fine... almost at stock honestly...

I realize they they aren't the same generation, but I have wondered about degradation in general! :p

You think 1.28 isn't too bad for 2.5 years then? Sorry I am done with the threadjack! :(

Like I said, "almost stock" so you are fine. I wouldn't run that CPU much over 1.4v for 24/7 so you are plenty fine.

Now that's surprising.

Normally the CPU is the most difficult part in a PC to kill. I've actually seen systems where the power supply blew, took out every part in the system (PSU, motherboard, memory, graphics card, hard drive, optical drive), and the CPU was the one thing still working. Usually you can't kill a CPU unless you give it a lot of voltage for an extended period, have it run way too hot for an extended period, or give it way too much voltage for a short period with insufficient cooling so that it burns itself up.

Also surprised your new Haswell is that much faster than Sandybridge, I'd always heard that the performance differences between the two weren't that great (up to 10-15% from what I've read).

It varies 10-20% depending on the application used to measure... that said a 'butt dyno' is subjective. ;)

I realize they they aren't the same generation, but I have wondered about degradation in general! :p

You think 1.28 isn't too bad for 2.5 years then? Sorry I am done with the threadjack! :(

Once you go over 1.375vcc then you have gone over "stock" voltage

Niiiiice!

Edit: I was curious as to when I actually got my cpu, so I checked my message log. I received this cpu on October 25th 2010! So its been running at 4.2ghz @ 1.28v for about 3.5 years, 24/7, aircooled by a Noctua NH-12U!

Crazy.

Last edited:
What voltage were you running your 2500k at? I am just curious because I have a 980x that has been at 4.2ghz @ 1.28v for the past 2.5 years 24/7 and now I am worried!

i was running my chip at 1.35V at 4.5ghz 24/7 basically. I rarely ever turn my PC off since SSD's have trouble with hibernate and standby.

This ALL comes down to temps and your cooling my friend.

A 28c chip running at 1.5V is better and will last longer than:

A 80c chip running at stock speeds and 1.2V with a crappy cooler.

Bottom line is it's all about heat.

Ya dig? :thup:

My 2600k is still eating up 1.488v after 3+ years of hard service.

I was also running some other aggressive settings to get my 2500K Stable at 4.5 I had the profile on "extreme" and CPU load line at 130% and like 2 other maxxed out settings on a P67 pro. It was stable, but got up to almost 80c load during prime. Im sure this had something to do with it running 24/7

Now that's surprising.

Normally the CPU is the most difficult part in a PC to kill. I've actually seen systems where the power supply blew, took out every part in the system (PSU, motherboard, memory, graphics card, hard drive, optical drive), and the CPU was the one thing still working. Usually you can't kill a CPU unless you give it a lot of voltage for an extended period, have it run way too hot for an extended period, or give it way too much voltage for a short period with insufficient cooling so that it burns itself up.

Also surprised your new Haswell is that much faster than Sandybridge, I'd always heard that the performance differences between the two weren't that great (up to 10-15% from what I've read).

I would chalk to up to the new Z87 chipset. It's just rock solid and awesome. Much much better than p67 chipset. It just talks to the components much more efficiently IMO. :attn:

edit.png

:thup:

I too am enjoying Haswell. Too many variables to really compare to my other machine with a 2500k, but it does feel solid and "snappier". XMP profiles seem to work better (or at least, work as the should) as well.

i wanted to mention that i have had my 3570k overclocked to 4.4ghz running at 1.2v for around 2-3 years. i want to also mention that i using offset voltage isntead of just "static voltage". i have to disable all C states except c4 (i think) state and speed step. those two are what have been making this overclock work great.

temps go around 78c max, but i guess thats because the nzxt t20 isnt the kind of cooler for these kinds of overclocks:)

The i7 4770K is the only viable upgrade from an i5 2500K. Anything else and, you now the saying: 'A fool and his money are soon parted'.:blah:

Sure. If one is video editing or running benchmarks. I don't do either. I didn't think it was worth the extra $120 or so for absolutely no gains in gaming. I assume you do a lot of video editing or photoshop stuff. To each his own! :shrug:

You could have stayed with the same socket and got a 3570K or 3770K... unless the motherboard went too.

Back