• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Official: What Have I Killed Benching Thread!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
sorry to hear that Jeremy, what happened eh?

Last edited:
Hehe used the wrong VR for a volt mod. It called for a 100K ohm, but I didn't see the K and used a 100 ohm :eek:

The only bad part is it was a review sample, and I hadn't finished the review yet, was volt modding for the final part :bang head

Now I get to ask for a replacement (and a few other items) wish me luck :beer:

Hopefully they'll replace it quickly so you can finish that review...:beer:

Oops :beer:

I tried to kill one of my 4870's the other night, soldered the ground onto the wrong power-connector leg and fed 5V directly into the controller. Card still works great :D

Three Mb's in about two weeks. When I took apart my vapochill I found a little water in the IP35Pro, so I took it outside and sat it on our barbeque to let it dry out in the sun. Left it there till evening--when I went out to get it I discovered the sprinklers had come on and soaked it completely down--I might as well have dunked it in a bathtub. So I dug out the old P5B-E and fired it up and when it turned on it blew a cap clean off the board. Then yesterday, I got in some new ram from newegg and about 10 min after I installed it my EP35-DS3R shut off. Thinking it was a problem with the new ram, and put my ballisitx back in--no dice, so today I took the machine apart and discovered some part in the pwm area had burned up. All this on hardware I haven't even been doing anything near the edge on. Geeze I think my new case is cursed :eek: Or maybe it hates intel....

It appears I've killed my golden Q6600:bang head The one I got my SPI32M golden cup with. It'll still boot 1 of 3 times...but only with "load setup defaults", and then it gets into Vista with only 2 cores enabled, and is very unstable...:( It was working fine two days ago for a 5 hour session on dice. But today when I went to boot on air...it locked up in windows, so I started to investigate, and it seems to be pretty well trashed. Oh well...RIP

Some stuff that I remember:
- some K5 mobo + cpu - both burned, 1st time when I noticed that too high voltage is bad, then it was pain for me :p
- S3 Trio 1MB - 1st time when I noticed that setting PCI over 42MHz can kill gfx :p
- Riva Vanta 16MB - too high oc for longer made artifacts
- GF2 MX - modded bios, was almost good just didn't work ;)
- Radeon X800 Pro - modded to XT, failed vmods - too high voltage, cost about 750$ but made RMA and got new card X800XT
- X800XT - too high voltage, RMA -> got X850XT
- 4 or 5 X850XT , I liked more X800XT, X850XT didn't like so high voltage , all RMA -> got new and for last one I got X1800XT that is still working :beer:
- 2x GF6800GT - some nice scores but I wanted too much and both cards died on too high voltage, from RMA got 2x 7800GT
- 2x 7800GT - failed vmod on one , some water on 2nd and artifacts
- GF 6800 Ultra - vmodded , was working ok but when I sold it one resistor fell off and core burned
- ASUS A8N-SLI Dlx - vmod and smoked after maybe month on higher voltages, got new from RMA that is still working with some vmod :cool:
- Gigabyte K8NS 754 maybe 3x , boards couldn't take higher clocked newcastle cpu and vmod on dimm, all were working 1-2 months and if I find I add burned pcb photos
- Abit KV7, NF-7, NF7-S - overheating on higher oc (later I checked that temps on KV7 passing 99*C start from 0*C so was about 107*C near fets ), got new from RMA and sold all
- 3x DFI LANPARTY UT nF3 250Gb - that board was for me big unknown , had 3 and all died in 2-3 weeks without even higher oc, on last one had some nice scores in that time, sold last one and got ...
- 2x LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D - one the same as nf3 other was working on high voltages for longer, after 2-3 days without overclock stopped to run at all ... got new from RMA and sold
- Biostar nf3 fully integrated ... I liked high fsb for a micro atx board, just board didn't like it :D
- Asus P5W-DH Dlx - after longer work on higher vdimm just stopped to see any memory, asus fixed it and it's working in my bro pc
- 3x hdd 80-120GB - by mistake used 5V cable from cooler and burned 3 hdd
- Kingston BH5 on 4,2V
- OCZ Gold PC5000 DDR1 on hynix chips - too high voltage , funny because I was waiting for RMA for 3 months and finally I got for exchange ... Asus P5E :p
- Cellshock 2x1GB PC8000, 2,9V was too much, got new and its working
- Kingmax 2x1GB PC6400, didn't like anything above 2V, especially 2,6V+
- modded Chieftec 360W - smoked
from other things more from work:
- Abit IC7 - burned while testing on vapochill ( later someone said that IC7 isn't compatible with vapo but we made it work at least for some time :p )
- 2 engeneering samples of 1st K8 cpus from amd - after some tests and taking cpu out of socket we noticed that 2 pins are still in socket, 2nd cpu we sent to press and they did the same ... AMD was mad :p
- 2x WDC Raptor - after travel to press both burned

Except maybe 7800GT I didn't break any gfx for over a year, with mobos it's even better ... good because now it won't be so easy to exchange hardware :cool:

It appears I've killed my golden Q6600:bang head The one I got my SPI32M golden cup with. It'll still boot 1 of 3 times...but only with "load setup defaults", and then it gets into Vista with only 2 cores enabled, and is very unstable...:( It was working fine two days ago for a 5 hour session on dice. But today when I went to boot on air...it locked up in windows, so I started to investigate, and it seems to be pretty well trashed. Oh well...RIP

So, I've confirmed the symptoms mentioned above in a second board :bang head...so for sure the chip has issues...what should I do with it? Does anyone want it?

So, I've confirmed the symptoms mentioned above in a second board :bang head...so for sure the chip has issues...what should I do with it? Does anyone want it?

make a key chain???

sry for your loss man.............. Buy a QX from me next week :eh?::D

Run it at stock and fold with it, or put it in a computer for some other purpose where stock is just fine.

Does it work at all at stock? I have 2 chips like that. An E8400 that is in a seldom used work computer that is fine at stock and wont OC, and a Q6600 in my work computer at my desk with the same story (ok at stock wont OC).

Or, like Matt said if its beyond that CPUs make nifty looking keychains :)

Run it at stock and fold with it, or put it in a computer for some other purpose where stock is just fine.

Does it work at all at stock? I have 2 chips like that. An E8400 that is in a seldom used work computer that is fine at stock and wont OC, and a Q6600 in my work computer at my desk with the same story (ok at stock wont OC).

Or, like Matt said if its beyond that CPUs make nifty looking keychains :)

@Russ. It was only working with 2 cores at BIOS fail-safe defaults. Even just turning off extra features on the chipset in the BIOS caused a failure to post. And even at stock settings with two cores, it was unstable.

Well...I decided to try to pop the lid off....but failed miserably. I see now why people don't do it too often. Now the chip is dead for sure :rolleyes:

I just worked slowly around the edge with a jewelers flathead, prying up the lid...it was stuck on there REALLY TIGHT! By the time I got around 360 degrees, I had already put a slight bend into the PCB (so I figured I had already killed it by then). Then I exerted a lot of force to pulled the lid off. half of one of the dies came off with it :screwy: oh well

A few minutes ago :D

oopsbd4.jpg

owie...sorry for your loss there. nanya ICs ..what brand of ram is that Jeremy?

some of those darn spreaders are like cemented on, I know my kingston spreaders do not want to come off...I'm real curious what's under the hood but I don't want this to happen to them....

Ouchie. Just stick the spreader back on the other ICs, it will hold that chip in place :clap:

That reminds me...who was talking about putting something in the oven that got pulled off? I want to say it was on a video card or something.

It's toast, look with a magnifier and you'll see the traces (hair dia. or smaller) are torn to hell. Even if they wern't, you'd need to re-ball it and hope to god you got good joints around :beer:

Back