• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

water additive.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Outer

Registered
I orderd some water additve from sidewinders . The black stuff. unfortunatly they use ups which sucks. Wont deliver if you dont have a mailbox . And it hasnt been but 10 hours and they sent it back . Now if i were sidewinders and i wanted to keep my business i would of had it overnighted . but they didnt so they lost anyone i knows business. Like the freaking thing would fit in a mailbox .WTF . FEDx has no proublems i just had 400$ drooped off here 2 weeks ago withno mailbox . Any way my proub is that i havnt added any additives to it and i dont want alge . What can i do ? plz help before i go beat the crap out of ups lady.

only need the iodine, nothing else unless you are mixing metals

Not totally true. I will never use just distilled water and iodine, no matter if I have mixed metals or not.

Additives generally give you better heat dissipation properties.

that's a common misconseption, water transfers heat better by itself that polluted with other chemicals, the only reason cars use antifreeze is to raise the boiling point and lower the freeze point of the water, it cannot carry heat at all. Such as back in the day watercooling gurus used waterwetter, but was later found to hamper cooling performence instead of helping as stated on the label, with our kind of cooling sytem it's designed to work better with just water and biocide, would be different with alu rad and blocks as those coolant additives are designed for alu and not copper. That's why most people now-a-days will order just a dye and a biocide, such as ptnuke, iodine, etc.

Cheers, sax

that's a common misconseption, water transfers heat better by itself that polluted with other chemicals, the only reason cars use antifreeze is to raise the boiling point and lower the freeze point of the water, it cannot carry heat at all. Such as back in the day watercooling gurus used waterwetter, but was later found to hamper cooling performence instead of helping as stated on the label, with our kind of cooling sytem it's designed to work better with just water and biocide, would be different with alu rad and blocks as those coolant additives are designed for alu and not copper. That's why most people now-a-days will order just a dye and a biocide, such as ptnuke, iodine, etc.

Cheers, sax

Matter of opinon then, I have always had better results with an additive over plain distilled water.

Additives generally give you better heat dissipation properties.

My understanding is just the opposite. Pure water has the best thermal transport properties, and any addition to it alters that essential nature. That's not to say that unaldulterated water is the only way to go, though. As far as dissipation, isn't that a function of your exchanger and fans?

How can it be a matter of opinion?

Precisely because there are so many opinions when it comes to coolant mixtures. Water-cooling is in the final analysis simply a form of thermal management, but it's also a hobby for many of us. This being true, people ARE going to try different things, regardless.

exactly, also because not everyone is in a controlled enviroment things may not be as they appear, just one small change in any giving thing can throw any type of measurements off, for example same set up, just taking off and reseating a lock will give you different temps.

I use either 90% distilled, 10% antifreeze, or 95% distilled and 5% Zerex Racing antifreeze, and have never had any buildup or growth problems. Zerex does stain cheap tubing though. A drop or two of Dawn to help reduce surface tension helps too.

I run my setups for 6-8+ months without servicing, folding 24/7. The inside of my Swifty 6002 is damn clean. :beer:

One solution to additives, run black Tygon tubing with 100% distilled water, and flush your system thoroughly before putting it together. If sunlight can't get to it, it can't grow. :)

silver tubing works great, or a small block of silver in the res works just as the silver tubing, also just a quick fyi, antifreeze doesn't stop algae, just metal reactions, antifreeze is only harmful to critters with livers and kidneys.

I have NEVER had a problem with running 5% Zerex and algae.

What about a good clear water additive? I was looking at Petra Nuke. Opinions?

works just fine, an aquarium biocide works just as well too, on a side note, antifreeze, straight, grows algae, as that's what we use for coolant at work, course we run the temps of it at about -10c so straight antifreeze is a must, even at those temps, algae forms in it

Back