• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any of you guys using Xen?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
We use it at work, my thoughts are it serves a purpose im not over enthusiastic over virtualization myself

Pain in the butt to set up IMHO. I'm very comfortable doing Gentoo installs, but Gentoo + Xen frustrates me to no end. Never used it for more than a few minutes because of that :p

JigPu

ya i been using vbox on a debian machine, and remotely see them by using ssh -X... not sure if by using xenserver or kvm i may be able to get better speed?

Right now my server is on VMware Server. Too lazy to migrate, but otherwise I would have switched to Xen many decades ago.

I mean... do they really expect people to pay for ESX or whatever after they have tried the free VMware Server??!

Sluggish web-only interface (opening the management console takes about 2 minutes, and every page about 1 minute to load - server is unloaded and on LAN), where a simple operation like "adding a new datastore" would take half an hour due to freezing/"operation failed"/reloads. Very buggy "remote console" (for viewing the guest screen, as a browser plugin), crashes all the time on Linux, sometimes won't load on Windows... I seriously think they would do much better without VMware Server, instead of letting people get this kind of first impression.

My advice if you want to try it - just don't. Not worth the time.

I am going to switch to something else, anything else, next time I reinstall my server. Probably Xen.

I've seen VMware Server ran on RHEL and it's stable as can be. And as for the web interface it should be very fast. faster than the VI client for ESX. I run the current version on a windows 2008 server and it's very stable.

SuperMiguel, if your going to dedicate hardware just for virtual machines, go to Citrix and download the free version of XenServer. As for Virtual Box, it has a GUI front end and accelerated driver too from what I can remember, why do you ssh -x to access your servers?

Well I have run it on 3 machines, 1 P4, 1 P4 based Celeron, 1 Core 2, on Debian, Windows XP, and Ubuntu Server. It's nowhere near fast (or stable) on any of them, even when no VM is running.

Back