• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Overclockix Revived

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Possible splash Screen

Just something i created from the template you provided :cool:

Attachments

• OverclockKiX-final640x480.PNG
    OverclockKiX-final640x480.PNG
    32 KB · Views: 193
working on adding debian-installer-launcher assuming it stops being a pain. keeps giving me 'no suitable d-i initrd image found, aborting.'

installing it in the chroot and updating the initrd image doesn't solve it either. gonna have to mess with it more...

I didn't read the thread because I'm lazy so excuse my ignorance. But is F@H included? I have had a lot of trouble with F@H and ubuntu, I might start folding on more computers if F@H is included and easy to use. By easy I mean just clicking an icon lol. In ubuntu I had to reinstall F@H every time I wanted to launch it. Total pain.

Hi Matt,

any chance of having nautilus-open-terminal added?

I use it a lot to right click on the desktop and open a terminal where i am at

I didn't read the thread because I'm lazy so excuse my ignorance. But is F@H included? I have had a lot of trouble with F@H and ubuntu, I might start folding on more computers if F@H is included and easy to use. By easy I mean just clicking an icon lol. In ubuntu I had to reinstall F@H every time I wanted to launch it. Total pain.

yes, f@h is installed with an install script in /opt/fahinstall. if you use the usb-hdd image on a usb drive, you can set up persistence so that your changes are kept between reboots on that same usb stick. there are instructions in the first post on how to set that up. you can set up persistence with a iso-hybrid image, but you can't use the same device (ie - can't apply the image to a usb drive and have persistence on that same usb drive). i haven't don't a whole lot of testing of the f@h scripts myself but a few others have tried them and they have said it works fine. let me know if you have any issues and we can work around em.

Hi Matt,

any chance of having nautilus-open-terminal added?

I use it a lot to right click on the desktop and open a terminal where i am at

sure, why not. it's a pretty small package.

f@h is actually simpler in Linux than Windows, an article I posted a while back shows a straight-forward f@h install in Ubuntu(or Debian?) using mainly the GUI tools:

http://www.overclockers.com/linux-folding-setup-guide-gui-method/

Using strictly CLI is even more to the point:

Stanford's Linux SMP client install guide

As always- anyone needing help getting the f@h client going can find help in the Folding Forums section. ;)

I used Overclockix to recover a broken system yesterday/today... well mostly recover.
I had no internet access so these things should be included (i think) to help

I noticed several things I think should be addressed. I had the .010 version so I dont know if this is slated to be covered later or not.

First there was no XFS support. On the up side, my raid was recovered at a much faster rate than any other method/disk so props on that matt (or maybe debian newest packages? :) )

At any rate, I was trying to get files off it and I realized there is no file sharing ability such as NFS or SMB. I think one (or both) should be included incase one needs to extract files and doesnt have/want ssh on the other side.

Overall I found most of the tools well suited for the job aside from not being able to mount my xfs partitions and not being able to extract files in the manner which I wanted

Good job Matt keep it up

I used Overclockix to recover a broken system yesterday/today... well mostly recover.
I had no internet access so these things should be included (i think) to help

I noticed several things I think should be addressed. I had the .010 version so I dont know if this is slated to be covered later or not.

First there was no XFS support. On the up side, my raid was recovered at a much faster rate than any other method/disk so props on that matt (or maybe debian newest packages? :) )

At any rate, I was trying to get files off it and I realized there is no file sharing ability such as NFS or SMB. I think one (or both) should be included incase one needs to extract files and doesnt have/want ssh on the other side.

Overall I found most of the tools well suited for the job aside from not being able to mount my xfs partitions and not being able to extract files in the manner which I wanted

Good job Matt keep it up

thanks for the feedback! i will have to look into why there is no xfs support as i thought i had included that.

i would probably thank debian for the faster raid recovery time since i'm pulling from wheezy :clap:

as for the file sharing ability, i was able to connect to a share on another server but i hadn't thought about sharing directories from overclockix. i will definitely add nfs and samba support as those could definitely be useful.

i was going to upload a new version today but i forgot to copy the images to my external drive to bring to work. i will put that off and make some updates with your suggestions. :thup:

Just in the way of comparison, with Mint and then Ubuntu (both installs and then live cds) the raid repair was slated for over 5210 hrs. With the overclockix disk it completed in approximately 8.5 hours. Overall since I didn't have a Gentoo minimal disk it was quite useful last night

just fyi, i was trying to reproduce your problem in .010 with xfs not being available to mount a partition but i was able to mount a xfs partition just fine. i suppose i should try to create a raid array and see if it can mount it on a md device but i don't think it would be a problem.

*edit: i was able to create a md raid array, format it with a xfs file system and upon restarting with a fresh .010 iso, it automatically detected the array and started it up for me. i just had to mount it and it was able to see some temp data i threw on the array.

*edit2: this was also done with the i386 image. i will have to also try this from my server at home since my computer at work is running a 32 bit os

*edit3: also confirmed that it works ok on the amd64 image. i'm curious as to why it wasn't able to mount your xfs partition...

Last edited:
I dont know... bad burn?

it also didnt have xfs_repair xfs_check etc which are normally standard in the xfs packages

I will re-grab the image.

In the case that those utilities are there i withdraw my criticisms :) and that would be a real shame because my computer could be running xfs_repair right now

EDIT:
I found the problem sudo doesn't tab complete the /sbin directory. I guess I got to used to using ubuntu my mistake

Back