• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Maximus V Gene Owner Resources - BIOS, Guide, Reviews, and Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have installed 1604 bios. The error led continuously shows A0 which is IDE initialisation started. Don't know what this means. Nothing seems wrong however when I do a fresh install with win 8 and then try to install 106x sata controller, on reboot it refuses to load os. Anyone have a problem like this?

Well, I'm having some trouble with my board...it won't boot nor show any q-code, no matter what.
I posted a thread at rog forums, here's the link with more info.
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?31378-MVG-not-booting-at-all-80mhz-bclk&country=&status=

Hope someone can chime in and help me revive it :(

Have you tried using the ROG flash to flash the bios to 1707? Might be a bios issue that got resolved. :shrug:

Do you have any context to the issue? What caused it to happen, and what were you doing when the issue sprang up (was it during overclocking, or did you just reboot the system?).

I explained it in that thread...

I left the pc folding and when I got back home the system was off.
Tried booting and nothing, fans seemed to start spinning but nothing happened. no q-code, no nothing...
So, I checked different things:
-Continuity using a dmm: all fine except for pll
-Psu rails: 5v and 12v where in spec (using the psu now powering my p4 775 rig)
-Different ram slots and single/dual channel.
-Removed the gpu, placed the gpu in the other pci-e slot.
-usb bios flashback to latest beta posted this month by Shammy.
-rog connect, rc tweakit from a laptop, to change bclk (which was at 80mhz, and voltage at 0.8v, dram 1.2v)
-Removed board from case, in case there was a short.
-Removed cmos battery for a while
-Cleared cmos via rc tweakit, pressing the button and jumping the battery contacts.

Neither of these helped!
I suspect that my old 8400gs might have died and killed the board, cause it was running oced as my video output. (mvg only has hdmi out and my CRT only has VGA analog input)

Any ideas?
I think I'm gonna have to ship this board to my buddy Horrerblade in Tx for RMA. (he bought it for me there)

Which bios did Shammy post? If you haven't tried 1707, I would definitely try it before shipping the board out.

Ps. If you're still trying to use the 8400gs, find a new card to test with just to be sure.

I tried flashing version 1707 already. No good, I'm certain it was that POS 8400gs generic card of mine. Sucks so hard :(

I'm not trying to use that card...I have yet to test it with the dmm. Don't wanna burn my now main rig (d945gccr and p4 631 with onboard gpu)
I'll be getting a 5770 soon for LTC anyway. That will play my mmo's fine till I can get the MVG rma'd in Tx.

I tried flashing version 1707 already. No good, I'm certain it was that POS 8400gs generic card of mine. Sucks so hard :(

I'm not trying to use that card...I have yet to test it with the dmm. Don't wanna burn my now main rig (d945gccr and p4 631 with onboard gpu)
I'll be getting a 5770 soon for LTC anyway. That will play my mmo's fine till I can get the MVG rma'd in Tx.

When you use ROG flash then LEDs on board are blinking or something ? Main question here is if board actually flashed other BIOS or not.
Try to use integrated gpu only.
I bet that you already removed battery etc.
Check if board is acting the same with CPU and without. You can even flash it without CPU.
Try to flash old BIOS, something like 0904 or older. It will rewrite some parts of BIOS that are not being updated by newer versions.

so I have heard that you only update BIOS if there is a problem with the current version you have... is that true?

Depends what is happening. I had no issues with about all BIOSes since 0880 beta. For newer Intel series there are sometimes Management Engine issues or something else that causes BIOS corruption ( once again strange that it's not common for AMD boards ;) ).

I decided to test the psu to see if that was the problem.

Installed my 775 backup rig inside the case and fired Win 7 with my dual d9 ddr2 sticks.
I had some bsods under load at stock, so I decided to prime and test with a dmm.
12v and 5v were in spec!

I removed my d9 ram sticks and used a known good 1gb ddr2 samsung stick and primed away happily.
So it was the sticks failing, not the psu.

As for my MVG I think the 8400gs gpu I was using killed it, died suddenly and took the board with it.
Do you think I can RMA with Asus cause of that? (not exactly Asus' fault...)

(I'll try flashing again once I can get a pendrive to do so...I borrowed one for that)

I would contact Asus and describe the problem. The board isn't booting and it wasn't user error or modifications that killed it. :shrug:

I'll try that but in order for me to do that the board has to go back to the US where I got it.
Gonna have to mine with the p4 631 rig and a gpu once I have one...hopefully LTC/BTC will net me some money for upgrades and shipping while at it. :/
Thanks Chance.

Back