• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Talk me into, or out of the 4930k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The 5820k should absolutely destroy the 4930k
I doubt that. It will likely be the same difference as is between Ivybridge and Haswell... a few percent clock for clock. :)

I doubt that. It will likely be the same difference as is between Ivybridge and Haswell... a few percent.

$/performance ratio? The 5820k is absolutely leaps and bounds ahead of the 4930k, pending these speculations are correct that is. 25% more cache is pretty appealing, as well as including AVX2 which should boost performance even more.

I shouldn't have said "Destroyed" in the "it will be night and day difference" sense, but the cost-benefit ratio is hugely in the favor of the 5820k.... pending motherboard and ram costs of course. We'll see!

Wait for X99. Unlocked 8-core.

Don't remember, but I know the entry-level chip will be 6-cores for X99.

Yeah, the 5820k (article was a typo) may be exactly what the doctor ordered. Retail is apparently expected to be around 400$ which is perfect (as long as I dont need a 500$ motherboard.....)

15mb L3

:eek:

That octo-mom you're talking about is indeed expected to be in the 4 figure range, so thats not really an option for me. Probably dont need 16 threads anyway xD

edit: launch date is in 2 weeks... I can certainly wait :)

Holy crap. Talk about blowing my Sandy chip outta the water! :shock:

If you can swing the wait, I think it'll be worth it :thup:

$/performance ratio? The 5820k is absolutely leaps and bounds ahead of the 4930k, pending these speculations are correct that is. 25% more cache is pretty appealing, as well as including AVX2 which should boost performance even more.

I shouldn't have said "Destroyed" in the "it will be night and day difference" sense, but the cost-benefit ratio is hugely in the favor of the 5820k.... pending motherboard and ram costs of course. We'll see!

and we only have biased reviews of the 5820 to base assumptions on...
chances are it may have a couple areas where it may excel in but it wont be like night and day,they dont want to crash sales of the 4930/60

and we only have biased reviews of the 5820 to base assumptions on...
chances are it may have a couple areas where it may excel in but it wont be like night and day,they dont want to crash sales of the 4930/60

Well the real kick in the pants... even if it is ZERO% better, it's expected msrp is 100-150$ cheaper. Makes that decision an absolute no Brainer!

Well the real kick in the pants... even if it is ZERO% better, it's expected msrp is 100-150$ cheaper. Makes that decision an absolute no Brainer!

sorry,im just being practical
this same type of hype went on with the 3770 vs. the 4770

6 core cpus are a good buy. For shear horsepower quads cant touch them. I would go for the 8 core as the last hurrah for a great desktop cpu :D

If I lad a leather couch for a wallet. :rain:

sorry,im just being practical
this same type of hype went on with the 3770 vs. the 4770

As I said, hype being taken out of it, even if they perform exactly the same, the 5820k is CHEAPER dude haha. :thup:

Took me six months to decide on a GPU, this won't be an overnight decision my friend :) :attn:

6 core cpus are a good buy. For shear horsepower quads cant touch them. I would go for the 8 core as the last hurrah for a great desktop cpu :D

If I lad a leather couch for a wallet. :rain:

Right haha. Im a huge fan of the cost/benefit ratio, and that 5960x is not there for me xD

X99 is simply a no brainer at this point,

2011 is a dead socket , I can not come up with any reason other than getting an x79 platform for pennies on the dollar off someone moving to x99

X99 is simply a no brainer at this point,

2011 is a dead socket , I can not come up with any reason other than getting an x79 platform for pennies on the dollar off someone moving to x99

dead-not hardly
superseded by another-yes
better?-not likely but we can only speculate

after all are these dead?
2600 series
3700 series
4800 series

Dead as in, there are no other chips coming out for it and there is no upgrade path. If you go X79 now you are stuck with the chips already available. If you go with X99, there are future CPU's to come out on the platform at least. So, yes in that light of having no upgrade path, 2600(SB), 3700(IB), are dead.

As far as if it will be better. It will, there is no doubt about that. The question is how much. If it is anything like IB-E was to IB (which it should considering its the same type of move), This will be around 5-10% again.

Dead as in, there are no other chips coming out for it and there is no upgrade path. If you go X79 now you are stuck with the chips already available. If you go with X99, there are future CPU's to come out on the platform at least. So, yes in that light of having no upgrade path, 2600(SB), 3700(IB), are dead.

As far as if it will be better. It will, there is no doubt about that. The question is how much. If it is anything like IB-E was to IB (which it should considering its the same type of move), This will be around 5-10% again.

So a possible 20% coming from a Sandy chip like me then?
(10% SB -> IB E -> X99)?

You can't compare really as there are more cores going into it. But yes, clock for clock, It would be around 10-20% difference.

dead-not hardly
superseded by another-yes
better?-not likely but we can only speculate

after all are these dead?
2600 series
3700 series
4800 series

25% larger cache and AVX2 implies its already "better". Again, a 4930k costs 580$. The larger cached, avx2 instruction holding same amount of core haswell e is purported to cost 350$. Theres absolutely no denying its "better" on every level. The only drawback will be cost of ddr4 and the "unknowns" of how this thing will overclock or heat up.

That chip also has a 100MHz clock deficit to overcome... but your point still remains. ;)

It is also a new SKU compared to the matching/parallel 5930K.... apples + apples there. If there was a 4920K with 100Mhz less it would be right in that price range. So, new SKU, not apples to apples.

These chips are also soldered.. or at least past generations always were so I wouldn't worry about temps.

Last edited:
Back