• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU decision

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c64

Registered
I'm trying to decide between 3 PSU's.I've already figured out what size I'll need, but I'm having a hard time deciding.These are the 3.

Corsair TX750W

Thermaltake Toughpower 850

PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad

Thanks for any help:bang head

Last edited:
All three are good units. Pick the cheapest one. Based on regulation at full capacity, I'd rate them as:-

TT 850
PCP 750Q
Ultra X3

But, here I'm splitting hairs. All three are good quality units. :)

often times you can get the PCP 750w for only $160 shipped on sale on various websites, imo from that list you provided i think it's the best Value/Quality ratio

often times you can get the PCP 750w for only $160 shipped on sale on various websites, imo from that list you provided i think it's the best Value/Quality ratio

PCP was the one I was leaning towards because of quality.

I know 750 or 850 might be overkill. what could I run this setup with some head room?

My rig
ASUS MAXIMUS FORMULA
Core 2 Quad Q6600
Zalman CNPS9700
Radeon HD 3870
mushkin 2GB (996533)
2 74gb raptors
4 sataII HDD
coolermaster cosmos 1000
X-Fi Xtreme Audio

For that rig, in theory, you can get by with a good 550W-600W PSU like the Corsair VX550, HX620, Silencer 600W, Evostream 600W, Toughpower 750W etc. The simultaneous spin-up draw of those HDD's have to be accounted for in all your calculations (say a worst case of 2A on the 12V and 1A on the 5V).

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/storage/hddpower.html

I've been using OCZ 620 for almost 2 years,do you think I can get by with this?

Yes, but your ability to overclock may be hampered a bit. The OCZ unit does not like to be cross-loaded. Try it before you spend any money on something else.

Yes, but your ability to overclock may be hampered a bit. The OCZ unit does not like to be cross-loaded. Try it before you spend any money on something else.

Thanks for the info.core2duo 6600 has been OC for a year now with no changes and stable.

Core Speed 3411.7 MHz
core voltage 1.560v
temp 29c

Back