• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 7 Update..Does Win Vista need to be installed???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

I'm building a new system.

I own Windows Vista, but I never installed it.

Does anyone know if I need to install it in order to get Win7 Ultimate upgrade pricing?

I couldn't seem to find that on MS's site.

EDIT ALSO, I wanted to know if I should do an upgrade from vista to 7 or do a clean install from vista to windows 7. I wasn't sure if a clean install would be better or not.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Clean install is always better.
You don't need to install Vista first, but you do need to install 7, or vista.
To do it with windows 7 only (recommended)
Install first with the "Custom" install option. Do not enter your product key when asked, simply click next.
Once fully installed, boot back into the windows 7 boot disk and use the "upgrade" option. This time enter your product key. Now you can activate windows.
(Yes, this is legit, and is the only method for upgrading from XP to 7. Tech support actually recommended this option. You can also try to install, and call tech support. They will be able to get it working, but typically much faster to do this two install option.)

Clean install is always better.
You don't need to install Vista first, but you do need to install 7, or vista.
To do it with windows 7 only (recommended)
Install first with the "Custom" install option. Do not enter your product key when asked, simply click next.
Once fully installed, boot back into the windows 7 boot disk and use the "upgrade" option. This time enter your product key. Now you can activate windows.
(Yes, this is legit, and is the only method for upgrading from XP to 7. Tech support actually recommended this option. You can also try to install, and call tech support. They will be able to get it working, but typically much faster to do this two install option.)

I'm not upgrading from XP.

The system I'm building is brand new. I own the Vista discs. I have them so I could get the Win7 update pricing.

This is what I was going to get Win7 upgrade

SO I just buy the upgrade disk?? It has everything needed to install full version of Win7, meaning it won't rely on me having Win Vista installed right?

Yep - you basically have to install W7 twice to "Trick it" into thinking you are actually upgrading.

You can do a full install with just the upgrade disks. Do a search for it with google. I would link but i'm posting from my phone.

I believe the website that has the instructions starts with digital
Edit: http://www.mydigitallife.info/clean...t-key-on-formatted-or-empty-blank-hard-drive/

Thanks for that. I saw something similar around 2009/10, wasn't sure if the info was still current.

EDIT>>> In that page it read with "With the following clean install hacks or custom install tricks,"

If I do this, will I get some sort of dumb errors from MS, when I do SP updates or other updates, like "this is not a Windows Genuine Product" etc etc. ??

Last edited:
But OEM's can only be installed on one computer, plus there's no upgrade pricing availing..Thanks

There is no upgrade from ultimate, but I could see how the upgrade would be better for you at this time as it does come with both 32 and 64 bit disks. You will probably want to stay with 32 bit until you upgrade your system and later go with 64 after you get more ram.

I upgraded my pro OEM from the same mobo that you have now but only the mobo, ram and CPU at one time as I was on a budget. It activated online using the same key about two weeks after the upgrade but probably because I still used the same drives and GPU. I upgraded the rest as I got the money for the video card and SSD's. While OEM's are technically tied to one box, I was still within the limits of the EULA by doing a necessary upgrade and MS is more concerned that the key is only on one system than they are specific hardware.

I would just get this for four bucks more.

I usually avoid recommending the OEM versions, because all too often people don't seem to understand what they're buying. In some circles, people seem to think that OEM is just Windows but at a bargain price, not realizing the limitations. Obviously you're going to, but so many people don't, or think the limitations will just never come up.

There is no upgrade from ultimate, but I could see how the upgrade would be better for you at this time as it does come with both 32 and 64 bit disks. You will probably want to stay with 32 bit until you upgrade your system and later go with 64 after you get more ram.

This install is for an entirely new build..new everything.

I usually avoid recommending the OEM versions, because all too often people don't seem to understand what they're buying. In some circles, people seem to think that OEM is just Windows but at a bargain price, not realizing the limitations. Obviously you're going to, but so many people don't, or think the limitations will just never come up.

I agree, after getting an HP netbook, which has worked great. I did come across an issue w/Win7 Home edition 64bit being OEM.

I won't put OEM on my system at all.

Back