• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg's Eggxpert Review Program

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Will do IMOG. Just hope I can do a good job... I guess it's time to start reading up on some reviews to see how the pros do it.

SOunds same like "Amazon Vine" program. Amazon is doing this for last few years. I had received a few items. Amazon mostly want to send you some crap books. Some other items I received were used once a twice before they died or broken.

SOunds same like "Amazon Vine" program. Amazon is doing this for last few years. I had received a few items. Amazon mostly want to send you some crap books. Some other items I received were used once a twice before they died or broken.

I shall revert back to the quote in my first post about what my grandmother said when I was young. :rofl:

Just got an email wanting me to review a Seagate laptop SSHD, which as far as I can tell will work just fine in a desktop anyway, so I'm going to accept it.

The email starts out:

"We have received this product from vendor for EggXpert review. Please reply no later than March 6th if you would like to take this assignment. Please decline this invitation if the product does not match your expertise or your computing environment."

So, it looks like they just don't send you things at random, but rather make sure you are in fact able to review it properly before they send it. Good deal... so long as somebody who doesn't know any better doesn't get sent a PSU to test and review. D:

So, it looks like they just don't send you things at random, but rather make sure you are in fact able to review it properly before they send it. Good deal... so long as somebody who doesn't know any better doesn't get sent a PSU to test and review.
And that is the thing.. there are 'reivews' there showing a high level of expertise but clearly its just not there...some of those people were chosen and will accept things they dont know how to properly test.

So...anyway, how do you plan on testing the SSD?

And that is the thing.. there are 'reivews' there showing a high level of expertise but clearly its just not there...some of those people were chosen and will accept things they dont know how to properly test.

So...anyway, how do you plan on testing the SSD?

Well, since it uses "adaptive memory technology", I expect it will take a little time for it to actually get the necessary files copied from the HDD to the SSD, and so I will probably restart the computer a few times for the OS files to be moved, then, the only programs I own that I can think of that I would be able to measure a hopefully noticeable degree of improvement in loading times are games... so I might try a few different games, start them up, play them for a little while, close them, start them back up, play them all over again, etc. and compare that to my experience with games on my personal SSD and 7200RPM HDD to see how it stacks up against non-hybrid drives.

I will of course run a hard drive benchmark, and run it a few times to see if it improves. However, I'm not sure if the benchmark will really show the SSD portion of the drive's speed, because if I understand the adaptive memory technology correctly, it does not place any files directly on the SSD, but directly on the hard drive, then it determines from the programs, files, etc. that you use the most what files need to be written on the SSD, and I'm not so sure any sort of benchmark will be able to utilise that. I won't really know until I test it though.

I've already researched the drive to find out it's a 500GB 5400RPM HDD with only a 8GB MLC SATA drive... so anything that has to be read or written directly to the HDD will suffer much more delay than what gets placed on the SSD.

If there's any way I could do it better, or anything I'm missing out, I would appreciate any suggestions. :)

That's right... I forgot about superfetch. Thanks Bobnova.

Looks like I'll just be running a few different benches then instead of programs.

Wow found this thread at random. Heyas
Just a couple days ago I got a PSU offer and declined it. :)

:welcome: Welcome to Overclockers.com!

It's good to hear from someone else in the program. I'm glad you declined the PSU offer since you don't have the proper equipment. That worries me now that I know they are sending out PSUs. Do you have a link to the product they were wanting reviewed? I would like to read other Eggxpert reviews on it when they're available to see just how many improper reviews there are of it. :rolleyes:

Also, how long ago were you invited into the program, and have you reviewed any other products yet? :)

Ugh... scary.. Unless I know the person, Im putting these in the same bucket as newegg user reviews (comments).

Where do these reviews end up posted? I looked around a bit and couldn't find any.

They post them directly in with the regular customer reviews. Here is a link to one of the items that has some Eggxpert reviews down at the bottom: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148903
:facepalm:

Do the best YOU can and feel free to ask for help on anything (as you have). This is... this is not any better than regular reviews.

Newegg, you blew it. Let the pro's do their job and maybe link to a couple legit reviews. The blind leading the blind isnt helping much of anything. :-/

I'll try not to blindly lead people into a confusing cycle of consumerism and regret. :D

By the looks of it, any legitimate and detailed "Eggxpert" reviews will only get buried by ridiculous amounts of average Newegg reviews with an Eggxpert tag under their name.

BTW, I'm glad this forum has so many knowledgeable people willing to help, and that the reviewers do such a superb job with the products they test and are willing to help me out and point me in the right direction for product reviews. Thank you to all the helpful people on this site!

Back