• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 + Amd FX-9590 Freeze/Unstable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Most likely it has something to do with that Kingston ram, I said earlier it just doesn't seem to play well with the FX. Have you set the ram up at all?

Very good possibility also, try setting the ram to 1600 mhz and see if it changes anything.

Actually, no it isn't.

The original H100 gets beaten out on AMD by the NH-D14, NH-D15, PH-TC14PE, SD128264 Aegir, Thermaltake Frio, and NH-U14S.

I stand corrected thanks for the info on this!

(Have never used air cooling once I built a custom loop very several years back. In average, hundreds of mhz where gained. Have beaten every overclock that was done on air with liquid cooling and therefore more used to the results of liquid being better than air with the proper set up of HW at my house. These results may vary as when I test a New cpu, the stock air cooler is on the shelf. The last cpu I bought new was originally posted with a waterblock over TEC and OCed quite well frozen. I use much larger tubes pumps and rads in comparison to AIO and usually clock higher than these types of coolers as well. That being said, when liquid doesn't cut it, I go colder. As mentioned to me on the phone, I often forget about reviews done with these air coolers and also forget that most peoples daily rigs don't change quite as often as mine might, but the cooling involved is always the same, far superior to most all air coolers and most all AIO liquid coolers. I will try and remember my place as an extrem cooling addict and let you do your thing!)

Many regards,

ŞɧʁɨmǷβʁɨmЄ

I stand corrected thanks for the info on this!

(Have never used air cooling once I built a custom loop very several years back. In average, hundreds of mhz where gained. Have beaten every overclock that was done on air with liquid cooling and therefore more used to the results of liquid being better than air with the proper set up of HW at my house. These results may vary as when I test a New cpu, the stock air cooler is on the shelf. The last cpu I bought new was originally posted with a waterblock over TEC and OCed quite well frozen. I use much larger tubes pumps and rads in comparison to AIO and usually clock higher than these types of coolers as well. That being said, when liquid doesn't cut it, I go colder. As mentioned to me on the phone, I often forget about reviews done with these air coolers and also forget that most peoples daily rigs don't change quite as often as mine might, but the cooling involved is always the same, far superior to most all air coolers and most all AIO liquid coolers. I will try and remember my place as an extrem cooling addict and let you do your thing!)

Many regards,

ŞɧʁɨmǷβʁɨmЄ

No worries :)
The H100i is better than the H100 by just enough to barely pass those air coolers, but the H100 is "meh" on AMD.

No worries :)
The H100i is better than the H100 by just enough to barely pass those air coolers, but the H100 is "meh" on AMD.

Not enough copper in them water blocks. The only thing they got going for them is the 120.2 rads. With a little push pull mod, they seem to work out pretty well for most guys.

Some time ago for my AMD stuff, I got this old quad heat pipe Opteron cooler.... nice little Tornado fan mod... yea it was good for cooling. I can barely remember those days. The dangers of that fan, man let me tell you how it takes skin off a finger so dang fast..... A buddy of mines entire finger nail on a similar fan lol.... Don't think I want to go back :rofl:

Luckily, my water block stuff hot swaps from AMD to Intel any time I like :thup: and it's easy and safe to touch and grab any way I like :thup:

EDIT: just double checked the post and newegg says...
Thank you for visiting newegg.com. We are truly sorry for any inconvenience but we are currently experiencing problems on our server. Please try again at a later time.

If you have any questions, please contact us and our helpful staff will alleviate any concerns you may have.

Any how this 80mm fan is 14$ at newegg and 85CFMs

Not enough copper in them water blocks. The only thing they got going for them is the 120.2 rads. With a little push pull mod, they seem to work out pretty well for most guys.

Some time ago for my AMD stuff, I got this old quad heat pipe Opteron cooler.... nice little Tornado fan mod... yea it was good for cooling. I can barely remember those days. The dangers of that fan, man let me tell you how it takes skin off a finger so dang fast..... A buddy of mines entire finger nail on a similar fan lol.... Don't think I want to go back :rofl:

Luckily, my water block stuff hot swaps from AMD to Intel any time I like :thup: and it's easy and safe to touch and grab any way I like :thup:

EDIT: just double checked the post and newegg says...

Any how this 80mm fan is 14$ at newegg and 85CFMs

Nah, not enough copper at all.
I have to say though, that Kraken X60 I have is pretty impressive! Not as good as the Apogee HD, but custom is always best!

Update:

If you're getting freezes, I would replace the CPU!

It looks like AMD has a faulty run of FX-9590s. :mad:

Someone tested my buddy's system and reported that even with another motherboard, still freezes! Reported that the CPU was tested as bad.

Update:

If you're getting freezes, I would replace the CPU!

It looks like AMD has a faulty run of FX-9590s. :mad:

Someone tested my buddy's system and reported that even with another motherboard, still freezes! Reported that the CPU was tested as bad.

So how does 1, possibly 2 bad CPU's constitute a faulty run?
Link to proof of said 'faulty run' of AMD CPU's please.

So how does 1, possibly 2 bad CPU's constitute a faulty run?
Link to proof of said 'faulty run' of AMD CPU's please.

I said "looks like" which means I'm pointing toward that. I dunno. But, I'm watching for more crash reports with FX chips at stock.

I said "looks like" which means I'm pointing toward that. I dunno. But, I'm watching for more crash reports with FX chips at stock.

Or, it could be the fact that his CPU cooler wasn't up to snuff...

I'd love to hear your explanation of how a faulty CPU causes crashes sometimes at idle, but not at load or during boot.

I seriously doubt that "RJARRRPCGP" is going to say how a shop diagnosed his buddies cpu as defective. He is just a third party actually. Not so sure he should have even mentioned the 9590s might have issue though without more background. 2 known cpus do not indicate any sort of trend.

I might have said a bud of mine had his system in the shop for crashing at idle and the shop diagnosed the cpu as bad. Not sure how it will turn out because he is waiting on a cpu or whatever.

Yes there are 9590s crashing at stock settings when going into turbocore mode. The users have set bios where turbocore is off and cpu is limited to 4.7Ghz and not try to go to 5.0Ghz by turbocore. That has worked for some.
RGone...

Or ram incompatability or cooler or motherboard .....

His was at stock. And this suddenly started. Looks like something degraded.

Was working fine a month ago.

His was at stock. And this suddenly started. Looks like something degraded.

Was working fine a month ago.

Stock. At speeds higher than most people OC their FX-83XX to.

Seriously, the chance it is a CPU issue is almost zero.
More likely is heat, motherboard, or memory.

When you can find dozens of threads saying the same thing with the solution being to swap the CPU out, I'll believe AMD had a bad run.

Most of the issues we have seen in the forum have been Heat (inadequate cooler, no airflow in case) #1 and poor ram choice as #2. If they have an ASUS board with 2133-2400 ram and especially if you up it to 16G and new bios it's nothing but trouble. See it all the time.

Stock. At speeds higher than most people OC their FX-83XX to.

Seriously, the chance it is a CPU issue is almost zero.
More likely is heat, motherboard, or memory.

I was told that the motherboard was changed and still freezing.

I haven't heard back any more about this. Stay tuned.....

Back