• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking help i7 975

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So at 3.33Ghz it looks like idle temps in the mid to upper 30's C. and Prime95 stress load temps in the low 60's C. This is looking much better. :thup:

When you tried my suggested settings were you booting with just three sticks (3x2GB)??

I posted CPU Tweaker for informational purposes only...

RealTemp GT is designed for 6-core cpu (980X,990X, etc,)... Regular RealTemp is for 4-core cpu like 920/975X.

Nah crap I forgot to take some of the sticks out.

I'll try again with only 3 sticks, see how it goes.

Glad I at least got the temps under control for now :p Will report back with how the 3 stick boot goes :)

These are the settings I've just changed.

DRAM Bus Voltage... 1.650V
CPU VTT Voltage.... 1.26V

CAS Latency Time... 9
RAS# to CAS# Delay... 9
Precharge Delay..... 9
RAS# Precharge.... 24

Turbo Mode.... Disabled.
CPU Multi... 23 X
CPU Base Clock... 161 MHz

Left rest on Auto.

EIST and CxE disabled.

Stuck on CF error again, so if I missed a setting or something I'm not sure, but thats what I touched this time around, 3x2GB RAM this time also.

Set CPU Vcore and CPU VTT under manual mode both to ~1.28v.

Also manually set the memory frequency to ~DDR3-1600(+)... I believe it is the 1333MHz setting in BIOS?

Keep memory installed at 3x2GB.

Try and reboot again...

http://i4memory.com/showthread.php?t=19927

http://img.i4memory.info/reviewimag..._screens/photos/DFI_UT_X58_T3EH8_bios_080.jpg

Link for full size ATX version of your board... info mentioned should be applicable to your X58 Jr.

http://i4memory.com/showthread.php?t=18821

DFI Motherboard BIOS are known for having overclocking/tweaking settings galore... This was before the trend where motherboard manufactures starting developing one button "auto" overclocks.

They were not really designed for the novice but for the enthusiast overclocker looking to get maximum tuning from their overclocks.

You might want to read up on some of the links at the bottom of this post by "eva2000" a very experienced overclocker over on i4memory.com who ran and tested DFI X58 motherboards.

http://www.overclock.net/t/529939/dfi-x58-ut-weird-problem#post_6554772

http://i4memory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80

I'm off to bed shortly but thanks a lot PolRoger, I'll get to reading in the morning and then have a go at it again, hopefully I come back with some better news :)

Thanks again, really been super helpful :)

EDIT - Well I couldn't help myself and I started reading, it all seems like this could get very complicated, not sure I'm quiet up to the level of attempting it, but I'll keep trying til I figure this out...

I think I need to work out my RAM first, and then I might be able to work on the CPU oc... its hard to say with all the possible problems that seem to be possible with this board :(

Last edited:
No one notice this? Your CPU core clock is 3.33Ghz. When you are doing p95 your realtemp show your cpu 100% load but only @1.5Ghz? Every time your CPU load 100% it should be in the 3.33Ghz and turbo boost it.

No one notice this? Your CPU core clock is 3.33Ghz. When you are doing p95 your realtemp show your cpu 100% load but only @1.5Ghz? Every time your CPU load 100% it should be in the 3.33Ghz and turbo boost it.

No F'n idea, I've just noticed this too, tho the other screens seem to show it working 'correctly' the stock screen seems to be way off.

If only I could get past the boot part of this process...

I'll try and go over all that reading PolRoger linked, but all of this stuff has started to make me feel really dumb :p

I have a feeling its the RAM doing this, need to work out the settings its going to like first, just not so confident I completely understand the process, or half the settings for my voltage, etc.

PolRoger says to change the CPU VTT and CPU vcore, but I only see CPU VTT in my voltage options.

I don't know much about your mbo and i7 975e chip. But can you try this. Put your vcore in 1.3v in manual mode and 1.15v for CPU VTT. 1.835-1.875 PLL? High LLC and leave everything else in auto see how it goes. And set your desired Core speed (4.0Ghz-4.2Ghz?)
Also, if your ram is 1.5v, type in 1.5v leave all timing in auto and or you can try using XMP profile.

Thanks Burce. This is where I'm getting slightly confused.

You say vcore and CPU VTT... and PLL

>Voltage Settings
- O.C. Shut Down Free.......... [Enable O.C.S.D.F]
- CPU VID Control.......... [Auto]
- Power Saving.......... [Standard]
- Super VID.......... [OFF]
- VCore Auto PSI.......... [Disabled]
- OCP.......... [140A]
- DRAM Bus Voltage.......... [1.560V]
- DRAM PWM Switch Frequency.......... [Nominal Frequency]
- DRAM PMW Phase Control.......... [2 Phase Operation]
- CPU VTT Special Add.......... [Auto]
- CPU VTT Voltage.......... [1.21V]
- VTT PWM Switch Frequency......... [Nominal Frequency]
- VTT PWM Phase Control.......... [2 Phase Operation]
- CPU PLL Voltage.......... [1.80V]
- IOH/ICH 1.1V Voltage.......... [1.11V]
- IOH Analog Voltage.......... [1.10V]
- ICH 1.5 Voltage.......... [1.5V]
- ICH 1.05V Voltage.......... [1.05V]
- DIMM 1/2 DQ/DQSTB Bus VREF.......... [-00.0%]
- DIMM 3/4 DQ/DQSTB Bus VREF.......... [-00.0%]
- DIMM 5/6 DQ/DQSTB Bus VREF.......... [-00.0%]
- DIMM 1/2 ADDR/CMD Bus VREF.......... [-00.0%]
- DIMM 3/4 ADDR/CMD Bus VREF.......... [-00.0%]
- DIMM 5/6 ADDR/CMD Bus VREF.......... [-00.0%]
- CPU QPI Drive Strength.......... [Normal]
- IOH QPI Drive Stength........... [Normal]

I see the VTT and PLL, but which of these is vcore?...

I've read over all those links from PolRoger, some great info, but sure as hell a lot of it.

I think I've got some idea of where to begin, but its all really a little above me at the moment, I'm sure I'll start to understand a bit better soon enough, but for now theres still a few areas where I kinda am not sure what I'm doing, or what I change and how its actually affecting things.

But I'll have a good at this again shortly, any last minute tips or ideas would be helpful, I think its the RAM and Voltage, either not getting enough or its getting too much, but we'll find out I guess. Wish me luck :p :)

Did you ever try just raising the turbo multipliers without touching the BCLK? And the CPU VID Control option adjusts the Vcore based on the default VID (Voltage ID), and the settings of the power-saving options like EIST and CxE. With it set to Auto, post the Vcore as shown by CPU-Z both at idle and while running Prime.

No I haven't tried just raising the turbo multi, I was under the impression turning it off and working out the rest first was the best way to go about it...

OK, I've just reset everything to optimized defaults, CPU VID is on Auto, I'll open up CPU-Z and RealTemp, take a screen and then run Prime and report back... 10 minutes or so of prime should be enough I'm guessing..

EDIT -

Not sure whats going on... Was fine, I tried to run Prime, and my PC turned itself off... Should I just reboot and try again?

Last edited:
Your first objective should be finding the max. stable overclock. Worry about DRAM frequency, timings, etc. later. The only thing you should alter as far as the memory goes is making sure the effective DRAM frequency is at or below it's rated frequency. So at the default BCLK of 133, just make sure the DRAM multiplier is set to 12 or below for DDR3-1600 (all timings on Auto; 133 x 12 = DDR3-1600). This removes the RAM from being a cause of instability while trying to find your max. overclock. And you can just post what the voltages are in CPU-Z... don't really need to see screenshots right now.

Ok at idle my core voltage goes from like 0.900v to 1.230v

With Prime running my Core Speed goes up to 3.6Ghz and voltage of like 1.26v...

BUT my PC just shut itself down again when I tried to run Prime even with the optimized defaults...

:( BIOS update might not have helped as much as I thought

Is it a power saving thing because I've left those settings on, or is my PC full ****ting itself? :(

EDIT -

Did some searching, since it ran Prime before the BIOS update fine with default settings, I'm guessing the BIOS update has changed something... That or my PSU is dying :(

Last edited:
Small update.

I haven't tried to run Prime again yet, but I was able to get windows to load with the BLCK set to default.

But I changed the QPI Multi to 18, the UnCore Multi to 24, Mem Multi to 12, manaually set the timings, and changed the voltage to 1.590v (1.6v says on RAM) will try 1.605v next, since 1.600 wasn't available.

But with the manaual RAM settings, seems to be working, with all 12GBs (6x2GB) sticks in.

I'm going to run a memory test to confirm that the memory isn't the shutdown issue, and with these new settings working, I might be one step closer to getting the oc to work, if I can work out this shutdown issue.

Tried again, complete default like last night, it ran for a few moments longer, I was watching HWMonitor, nothing seemed to go too extreme, heat was barely hitting 60c voltages stayed pretty close to the max voltages that had shown for me running the PC for 30 minutes no stress test, so as soon as it starts to do something intensive, it shuts itself off...

Definitely starting to think its the PSU, or the BIOS update has changed the way some sort of power saving function works, although I turned off C-States and it still happened.

EDIT -

Spoke too soon, blue screened before I could do anything, BIOS settings stuck and it actually reloaded for once, so I went back in upped the CPU VTT to 1.23v (probs not a factor but why not), and the RAM up to 1.605v, blue screened again but now its running a windows repair thing, so will see if that fixes anything.

Last edited:
Without knowing what the errors were in the BSODs, bump VTT to 1.35-1.45v w/ 12GB of RAM installed. Above PolRoger suggested you bump it to 1.28v w/ only 6GB installed, so I'm not sure why you have it set to 1.23v w/ 12GB installed. And yes, VTT is definitely a factor when more RAM is installed, the DRAM frequency is increased, or the timings are tightened. Leave the QPI multiplier, Uncore multiplier, etc. on Auto. Just adjust the DRAM multiplier to x12 at a 133 BCLK, and leave all the timings on Auto. And boot to Memtest86+ to verify RAM stability before attempting to boot into the OS.

Thats the thing there was no BSOD, just a shut down type thing.

Starting to understand the voltages a bit better now and yeah lol not sure why I set it to only 1.23v...

If I can get the PC to stop shutting itself down every Prime test, even on default settings, then I'll try these new suggestions for the RAM. :)

Reverted the BIOS...

3 minutes or so now of Prime with no errors and no shut down...

I am noticing my CPU at 100% load goes from 1.6GHz to 3.6GHz, it stays pretty consistent at one or the other, so I think some reason it drops to the lowest multi at some points.. Is this normal?

Will get a screenshot after an hour if it stays up and try catch both 1.6 and 3.6 so you guys can examine the rest of whats going on.

But for now the BIOS seems to have stopped the shut down issue.

Half hour in and no shut down. Heres the screens, 1.6Ghz, 3.5Ghz, and a screen of CPU-Z Memory tab.

Hopefully helps determine some potential settings as well as perhaps you guys can tell why its jumping from 1.6 to full 3.6 at points...

EDIT - Stuffed up the upload, will fix up the 1.6 screen in the morning, any suggestions on where to begin with my next attempts at overclocking would be great :)

Attachments

• BIOSRevert1.png
    BIOSRevert1.png
    52 KB · Views: 119
  • BIOSRevert2.png
    BIOSRevert2.png
    58.2 KB · Views: 118
  • BIOSRevert3.png
    BIOSRevert3.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Check out these two BIOS settings... See if you can manually set/save vcore in BIOS and also change your memory multi settings. Does your actual BIOS look the same?

Attachments

• CPU VID Contol.JPG
    CPU VID Contol.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 117
  • DRAM Frequency.JPG
    DRAM Frequency.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 118
Back