• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4 Memory Dramatically Boosts Gaming Performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Right.. I know that. I am just wondering in what context wingman came up with DDR4 being bought in fours was a requirement.

Last edited:
i dunno ED, his post to me came of differently. As bank is completely different then channel, for me it came off more as. your going to need to buy 4 dimms for it to work or use the pc at all.

i dunno ED, his post to me came of differently. As bank is completely different then channel, for me it came off more as. your going to need to buy 4 dimms for it to work or use the pc at all.
Ranks/banks/channels, either way, it doesn't sound right. :shrug: :thup:

I also didn't mean to say what I posted... edited...

Doubt its the case. All ddr4 promises is more density per ic memory chip. 4-16Gb chips mounted per module.

Cant see why you would need more than one if it contained enough ram with the improved independent handling of each ic mounted per module.

Just pulled this from xbit.

The next year’s enthusiast desktop platform will pack a number of firsts and will naturally bring a significant performance boost over regular desktop platforms as well as over existing and incoming HEDT solutions based on code-named Ivy Bridge-E processor. Intel Core i7 “Haswell-E” central processing units will pack six or eight x86 cores with Haswell micro-architecture and Hyper-Threading technology, 20MB of L3 cache, quad-channel DDR4 memory controller (2133MHz maximum clock-speed, up to one DIMM per channel) as well as Turbo Boost 2 technology, reports VR-Zone web-site, which published the slides from Intel’s roadmap. The processors will traditionally have 40 integrated PCI Express 3.0 lanes, but will lack built-in graphics adapter, which is logical.

---------
Quad channel or one DIMM per channel.

So in a context if you felt the need for quad channel you could.
Or one fat stick will do :)

How much total ram a board could handle and how it will be utilised in the future is the question

Edit: surely you could have enough ram to fit the whole os drives data in memory if they programmed for it then only use the physical drive for modify writes :shrug:

Edit2: looks like zero benefit until the bottleneck of memory controller is updated and incorporated into new motherboards. Also will need those new cpu's to accommodate ddr4.

In about 18-24 months it may be a good proposal... It may be all there is to buy as production and reserves of ddr3 deplete.

Eight cores 140 watt thermal design and programming in mind it will come together... With a two year premium to dissuade. Lol

Spend aside give me low density ddr3 over as many slots as possible suits my needs better (none gamer wise)

Last edited:
X99 is going to have DDR4. Motherboards were just shown at Computex and were shown to utilize DDR4. Its not leaked information any longer.

Not sure if all, but it seems as if 8 DDR4 slots will be pretty standard on X99.

Edit2: looks like zero benefit until the bottleneck of memory controller is updated and incorporated into new motherboards. Also will need those new cpu's to accommodate ddr4.

not sure what platform your talking about, intel has had IMC for a long time. none of the chipsets(or now called PCH's) have a memory controller in them any more, not since X48 has there been one.

not sure what platform your talking about, intel has had IMC for a long time. none of the chipsets(or now called PCH's) have a memory controller in them any more, not since X48 has there been one.

I misread the xbit info :)
The benefit and exploit of ddr4 comes with the new cpu or not as the case may be.

"Ivy Bridge-E processor. Intel Core i7 “Haswell-E” central processing units will pack six or eight x86 cores with Haswell micro-architecture and Hyper-Threading technology, 20MB of L3 cache, quad-channel DDR4 memory controller"

(drunken poster this afternoon. Lol)

Where did you get that from? Unless x79 and IB-E suddenly can use DDR4, I have no idea why they are mentioned. Presumably, x99 will be the first to support DDR4.

Edit: unless you just quoted too much.. lol!

Where did you get that from? Unless x79 and IB-E suddenly can use DDR4, I have no idea why they are mentioned. Presumably, x99 will be the first to support DDR4.

Edit: unless you just quoted too much.. lol!

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/di...ores_Quad_Channel_DDR4_Memory_Controller.html

Looking at the date its some old leaked info from June last year.

And how freaking hard is it to copy a link on android with chrome... I just nearly lost it and put my finger through the tablet glass.... Now I know you have to mess about and copy it from the history... :sly:

Back