• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Refridgerator Case ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=197769 <-- concerning condensation questions

and for the drives, i'd make a plexi/lexan box mounting the drives on top of the fridge, and put a fan blowing through to cool the hard drive. then cut a hole through the top of it, and run cables through there (unless the fridge's cooling system is in the top. dont wanna drill through the evaporator! lol) then you just hope the fridge is enough to cool the heat load of 2 CPUs, the MB, and whatever else will be in there. i would keep the power supply and drives out of there, to keep the heat load down, so the cpus can get more cooling. and you'll want decent HSF's in there, and strategically mounted ducting and fans (take the cooled air straight to the HSFs)

oh, and on the OCability of those chips, i've heard that they OC to higher speeds than the 2100 i killed. if so, you'll be able to run 150x13 fine. 166 wouldnt suprise me at all. especially on the cooled air goin to the HSFs

four4875 said:
oh, and on the OCability of those chips, i've heard that they OC to higher speeds than the 2100 i killed. if so, you'll be able to run 150x13 fine. 166 wouldnt suprise me at all. especially on the cooled air goin to the HSFs

He's got them on a MSI K7D Master-L, so they're unlocked thru 12.5x (without blowing bridges), and the board limits him to 150FSB. 1875MHz (12.5 x 150) should be a walk in the park for them...might even see that at default vcore, I think...

B.

You should be able to buy a spray on "conformal coating". It will keep condensation off of the motherboard, the only thing i haven't figured out yet is how to insulate the physical connections (CPU pins, AGP pins, PCI pins, etc...). I know DuPont, and 3M put out the product, but I don't know of any store that would normally carry it.

I don't think mini fridges are designed for the load your going to try to put on it. My bets are that you kill the compressor inside of a week.

-no offence intended. just this has been tried so many times before.

I for see SERIOUS condensation issues with a fridge if you decide to run with it install a hydrometer on the out side of it to keep track of the humidity and personal i like peltier cooling its the only way to go in my humble opinion ;)

Hey four4875 .... you seem convinced that there will be no condensation.... I wish I could believe that... have you seen any other articles to back yer theory up? I still want to go for it.... just not with my newest rig.... and I wasn't gonna hack up the fridge for an old pent 133mhz that I have to smash around.

I'm inclined to agree with zabomb4163 on this one. 'Fridges were designed to cool stuff like milk and apples. Milk and apples don't exactly get hot enough to the touch to burn you just from sitting outside the fridge; I saw this done a long time ago with a lower end P3 setup (not exactly a lot of heat by today's standards), and the fridge couldn't even come close to keeping up. The compressor will probabally live a very short life in this configuration; I'd poke around the extreme cooling section here and look at what kind of compressor/condensor setups people're using now.

Another thing, milk and apples don't continually generate heat, either. If you were to seal a computer inside a mini fridge, the heat generated by your components would have no place to go. I would say condensation is the last thing you have to worry about.

BAKING SODA!!!! Baking soda cures anything, condensation, bad breath, black plague......
There is also something like it at your local uhaul but I can't remember what it's called, also if you wanted to be really good with the mod....hack apart a dehumidifier and throw all your extra pieces inside of the fridge with your components. Never waste what you kill, so, use the dehumidifier case as a house for your boards and drives for a future mod project.

Back