• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KB won't work in setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DocClock aka MadClocker

Hello everybody,
I was given a Compaq Presario SR2020NX
AM2 3000+
ddr2 and sata hdd

The unit had a broken heatsink bracket, so I replaced it, and the cmos batt was missing so I replaced it and booted the machine and while the keyboard will work under normal circumstances, it will not work in the cmos setup program....the navigation keys are the most important but like I said, nothing works in setup.
The unit came with PC Doctor 5 installed and ironically it has a keyboard test prog and the kb passed..all keys work as they should.

I do not have an USB board to try, and I cannot find my USB to PS/2 converter.
I am wondering if a bios update would clear up the problem, or should I just save up for a USB keyboard?

Anyhow, I could live with the problem for now, as it plays some of the more demanding games that I have, but I would like to be able to set the time and date, and poke around in the setup to see if there is any tweeking that can be done. For now, this will be my "out in the shed" computer.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions,
Doc

You can pick up a USB keyboard for $10 easy. It sounds like PS/2 support has been disabled in the BIOS for, well, dinking around in the BIOS. Pick up a USB keyboard and you can enable it. Otherwise, just stick to the USB one for BIOS purposes.

I can't imagine why a dead battery wouldn't clear the CMOS, but have you tried clearing via the jumper, if it has one? If a PS/2 keyboard works in the operating system, that means the hardware is functional.

Back