• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well there is a DVI-to-HDMI adapter that I use. I got it from a old HD 2600XT radeon card. But it worked fine on the cheap ECS motherboard. And I mentioned this in the ticket, that if I uninstall the VIA drivers, the Windows driver that installs itself outputs sound through SPDIF and through my videocard to my receiver lol. The problem with that though, is its just 2channel. I know sound cards are better than onboard. But I'm not a audiophile so I want to get this SPDIF output working so I can give my brother my ASUS soundcard. I will also respond to that ticket and tell them to read it again and open a new one. Maybe it'll increase my chances of getting someone with a brain from GigabyteUSA lol.

I'm surprised one didn't come with the card! I'm no expert on this subject though.
One question though when you install drivers for that card does the package include a HD sound driver? If so uninstall it. When I install my vid driver I do custom and drop the 3D crap and the sound driver. It might just be a conflict.

Gave that a try and performed a clean install of my videocard drivers, I thought for sure I seen it mention sound drivers before, but I didn't see it this time. Still couldn't get it to work. It's fine though, I bought a Toslink cable. Would have been nice to just have the convenience of 1 cable for the sound and video, but ohwell, I wasted too much time trying to troubleshoot this. But if not even the optical sound works, I will be so annoyed at Gigabyte lol.

FYI-On pretty much the same setup, I have a SB Audigy2 ZS 7.1 running great. Creative actually had the driver for it.

Nice job on the OC. :thup:

Cool. Yeah I haven't messed with overclocked in a few days, but at least this board works unlike the previous Gigabyte one. I haven't done much tests myself yet, but increasing the NB voltage from 1.200 to 1.250 caused only 3.92GB of RAM to be usable. increasing the CPU vcore by .025 causes the 4GB RAM thing. And also changing the RAM timings to the XMP values of 9-9-9-25-2T causes the same problem. (27 works). So I'm honestly not sure what could be the cause. Also rasing the NB frequency to 2400 or 2600 causes the 4GB RAM limit. I could try increasing the HTLink, though it is said to make things less stable. But maybe I just have one of those setups that prefer a increase to the HT voltage or frequency.

You did fix it. It allowed me to achieve a stable overclock of 3.9Ghz. But now I have that problem above where if I increase anything, it seems to not like it lol. I will try with giving the RAM .025 less and more voltage, to see the effect

"moccor" are you still using the FA bios on that REV 3.0 mobo? Or is it REV 3.0? I would think it is if you just bought it. The FB bios is for memory compatibility and helped a user big time over in the AMD CPU forum section.
RGone...

Yes it is Rev 3.0 and I am using the latest BIOS which is FC. I should try FA or FB before the memory changes. Because it actually came with FA I think, but I immediately updated to the newest BIOS after installing drivers and such for the mobo.

What does this mean?

So I took a break from Overclocking for a while due to being busy and wanting to test the one in my sig. After about, 2 weeks I finally got a BSOD. It was at a weird time though, I was on Skype and League of Legends (neither of which is too CPU intensive). I might have minimized the game and loaded Google Chrome, I don't remember. But still, those aren't very intensive. Especially since I ran Prime95+ League of Legends + a Skype call and it went fine for hours like that. Well, I forgot to check the BSOD file with 'WhoCrashed' and I erased it with CCleaner lol. So I am back to testing some overclocks. After looking at other's settings ( I know it's not good to copy overclocks ) I decided to try a voltage of 1.350 and a overclock of 3.8Ghz. When The CPU is being stressed, voltage goes down. When the CPU is idle, voltage goes up. I don't get it lol. I had LLC set to regular and Auto when it did this. Soon I will try Extreme. Also I tested previous BIOS versions and different RAM slots, my RAM was still being finicky. I tried many settings, but most of the time it seemed to max my RAM @ 3.98Gb. I dropped my vcore to 1.330 and the RAM had np with that, it used the full 8GB. I raised it by .025 and again it decided it wouldn't use the full 8GB. The timings were and are @ 9-9-9-27-35-2T. I chose 35 just to give it some room and to yield better compatibility hopefully. So atm the settings are, 3.8Ghz @ 1.350-to-1.330Ghz (it goes from Higher to lower instead of lower to higher lol) , 2200NB @ 1.200, 2200HT @ stock voltage, 1600Mhz 9-9-9-27-35-2T @ 1.50v. Most people seem to just go into their BIOS out of the box and raise the multiplier to achieve 3.8Ghz, but something in my setup is being very very picky...

Edit: after trying so many different settings to try and get the overclock more stable than previously, I lowered the RAM to 1333Mhz and 9-9-9-24-1 @ 1.550 and tried 1.600v. That was giving me Prime95 errors instantly. I reduced the voltage to 1.500 and it's fine with the timings... Why does my setup have to be so picky lol

Last edited:
Back