• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

asus M5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i did not spoke with the guy, but he has only 2-3 bad transactions out of 60. Plus he will only sell the board with testing,with 17 months left of warranty and full retail package.And he only deals with mobos and cpus

the prices:
new saber- 223 dollars
used CHV- 213 dollars
new 990Ext4- 195 dollars
new GD80- 230 dollars

Heck you wrote them down in the exact order I would list them for my choices. Full warranty for 10 Usd more? That sounds pretty good to me. I will say that a good CHV is a clocking board with good cooling being a 'must' but then 10 Usd for full warranty. Heck man glad you got to choose and not me.
RGone...

if i decide to get the used CHV what should i look for? i'm guessing all ram slots working,all usb working give it a kick with prime to see how it handles it, PCI slot check,lan check, sata check, any more_

EDIT: here is the list of what the seller has now on offering.
my guess is that he benched it. o_O

Last edited:
All of that but make sure the NIC works when FSB overclocked. That was the only thing I really know of that has been an issue at all. By the way, don't put the Ai Suite on that thing. That software is a real joke until now and I have tried the latest version. That suite thing gives me the hives. Hehehe
RGone...

How much of an FSB overclock are we talking about? 1-2-3 mhz enough to test it? Because it's not my sh*t to play with till i pay it.

How much of an FSB overclock are we talking about? 1-2-3 mhz enough to test it? Because it's not my sh*t to play with till i pay it.

No I really had in mind 30-35Mhz. You could drop the cpu multiplier and make sure the ram is not then overclocked and the cpu in the socket would hardly be overclocked at all for safety if that is paramount.

I only mentioned it because it has happened to a few folks. I don't have the problem with my original CHV board. I run 235FSB all the time. It is one setting I use everyday. Chance of your having such problem? Probably less than 0.03%. Something like a 3 in 10,000 chance. Not much really. I wish I had not mentioned it at all but I try not to ever sugar-coat something and just be a fan-boi. This Asrock Fatal1ty mobo is freeken awesome and it cost 70Usd less than the CHV non-z I have. Either is good for clocking the crap out of a cpu. Had I had to choose new...heck man I don't know. They are that close in clocking an 8 core cpu.
RGone...

Last edited:
the thing is.... i'm leaning toward the tried and trusted Asus brand...... last time i said"how bad can a gigabyte be?" as it turns out very....and i am so tempted to get the used one CHV to see what is so good about it..... it won't have a very long life if i go get a pot and some DICE.....

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=724953
Testing does FX-83xx seem to flat line after 4.3GHz

You go read that thread. Look at what is done. Older FX-8120 then newer FX-8350. The only thing to remember is that I have VERY good water cooling. Not by any means average. Then just know that there was zero drama in walking those cpus thru their paces. Bios on the CHV is sensible. There are writeups done by Asus technicians that can be found that when read and understood, work for most AMD boards with the same settings. You are just in better hands today with a top of the line Asus board.

There are more HWBot entries for CHV and CHV-z boards than ALL the other Asus and Other Brands of mobo put together for AMD cpu use. That is a lot of 'lean' in one direction.

From those that have CHV and Sabertooth 990FX non-R2.0 board, they are close to each other. The CHV may just push a lttle harder. I would not trade my CHV for the same series of Sabertooth, but today with what I know, I could have saved some money by going Sabertooth. IN your situation though you are not paying retail for the CHV, you are buying it under retail. So there is a money differnce.
RGone...

going for the chv. i will call the seller tuesday and ask why is he selling it(the majority of people celebrate easter this sunday and monday here in Ro).

going for the chv. i will call the seller tuesday and ask why is he selling it(the majority of people celebrate easter this sunday and monday here in Ro).

Good deal man. At least we have some in here that use it and can tweak it.
Happy Holidays and Be Well.
RGone...

thanks man . till then i'll torture the giga:D hopefully she blows up and i get a new MB (gotta love the warranty system in RO)

ok... the chv is on it`s last mile......boot issues, ram slot 4 is dead ...so i didn`t buy it.....the saber is out of stock again.....

ok... the chv is on it`s last mile......boot issues, ram slot 4 is dead ...so i didn`t buy it.....the saber is out of stock again.....

At least you did not get stuck with a used and defective motherboard. The Sabertooth will be back in stock.
RGone...

yeah but its 30c ambient with ~51c vrm temps at idle.....i need something 'cool' :rofl:

forgot to add one more thing to the list:
10. bios goes back to FA version(from FC) every now and then

forgot to add one more thing to the list:
10. bios goes back to FA version(from FC) every now and then

What a hoot. I guess that is the GiGGle dual bios for you. Man I am glad it is you fooling with that POS and not me. I would not have much left of my gray hair. Hehehe. They took what was a pretty fair mobo with a VRM that could handle 6 and 8 core FX processors with a LOT of hair-pulling, tweaking and made a mess of it. Well maybe it was not as good in the VRMs as we thought since you said the FETs were giving up. So now they have it where you cannOt put a load on it to blow a FET. Awesome shett for sure.
RGone...

if she blows....i have warranty and i`m sure that they don`t even check them out,they just give you a new one or give your money back :rofl:

Well since you would like to have it give up so you could exchange it against a Sabertooth when they come in...we know it will not bite the dust. Hehehe.

RGone...charter member ILHOC and mobo police.
attachment.php

oh sh... the 5-0 :clap:

Thanks man. I hope you can get you a good board soon. Those FX-8350s are pretty dang powerful for real work like video editting which I use mine for at 4.8Ghz all the time. It will walk thru that real work and then you can disable 2 modules = 4 cores and kick it on up to about 5.0Ghz with real real good cooling and work most games to a frazzle. Good luck on getting a board soon.
RGone...

attachment.php

Back