• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[HELP]Overclocking Suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Senton

Registered
Hello everyone. I'm new here. :)

I have a good gaming rig so I want to overclock my system.
I would like someone to assist me trough the BIOS settings.
Here are my System Specifications:

P.S. I did some overclocking by myself, but I think that is not enough. :)

Thanks in advance.

Hello Senton, welcome to OCF! I moved your thread to Intel CPUs so it gets a few more eyes on it.

I'd recommend checking out the 3 Step Guide To Overclock Your Core i3, i5, or i7 for starters. You are looking good at 4.5GHz, but you're a bit high on the Vcore side of things unless your chip isn't very strong. That said, you probably won't be able to get too much farther for 24/7 use. My chip would only do 4.8GHz and that was ~ 1.36Vcore IIRC.

Also, any particular reason you're running three sticks of RAM? That's hindering performance by forcing you to run dual channel. I'd pull one of those out so you're running dual channel and taking advantage of that.

For those that dont want to / can't click the link, he's working with a
2600K @ 4.5GHz w/ 1.408 Vcore
ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe
3 x 4GB Corsair RAM (running 1866 / 10-10-10-27

Hello Senton, welcome to OCF! I moved your thread to Intel CPUs so it gets a few more eyes on it.

I'd recommend checking out the 3 Step Guide To Overclock Your Core i3, i5, or i7 for starters. You are looking good at 4.5GHz, but you're a bit high on the Vcore side of things unless your chip isn't very strong. That said, you probably won't be able to get too much farther for 24/7 use. My chip would only do 4.8GHz and that was ~ 1.36Vcore IIRC.

Also, any particular reason you're running three sticks of RAM? That's hindering performance by forcing you to run dual channel. I'd pull one of those out so you're running dual channel and taking advantage of that.

For those that dont want to / can't click the link, he's working with a
2600K @ 4.5GHz w/ 1.408 Vcore
ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe
3 x 4GB Corsair RAM (running 1866 / 10-10-10-27

Thanks for the help and thread moving. So if I understood right, the voltage can be a problem? And I run 3 RAMs because it was a set of 3 all together. If I remove 1 I will have 8GB only .. So better I will buy 1 more, but is very hard to find individual piece. They sell only 2 pieces and so on.
I will check that link with the guide you gave me. :)

Off-Topic: Btw. I want upgrade my graphics, gtx 670 or 690? 690 is pretty expensive and in Sweden is pretty much not available yet.

The 690 would be a much larger upgrade of course but it's hardly worth a grand plus IMHO. The 670 is a very strong GPU. I'm working on reviewing an ASUS GTX670 DirectCUII TOP and it is one heck of a card. Cool running, strong and quiet. If you're dissatisfied for some reason, adding another 670 would make your total $840 instead of $1,000. :thup:

Off-Topic: Btw. I want upgrade my graphics, gtx 670 or 690? 690 is pretty expensive and in Sweden is pretty much not available yet.

IMO, the 670. The couple fps you gain from the 690 doesn't justify the extra $400 imho. Others may disagree.

FYI, I'm running the EVGA 670 superclock and I love it. No problems, but I may take advantage of the recall situation and snag a free FTW upgrade.

The 690 would be a much larger upgrade of course but it's hardly worth a grand plus IMHO. The 670 is a very strong GPU. I'm working on reviewing an ASUS GTX670 DirectCUII TOP and it is one heck of a card. Cool running, strong and quiet. If you're dissatisfied for some reason, adding another 670 would make your total $840 instead of $1,000. :thup:

ATM I have my GTX580 from ZOTAC. Which is the best producer? Should I buy GTX670 from ASUS? So I have set, or doesn't this matter?

IMO, the 670. The couple fps you gain from the 690 doesn't justify the extra $400 imho. Others may disagree.

FYI, I'm running the EVGA 670 superclock and I love it. No problems, but I may take advantage of the recall situation and snag a free FTW upgrade.

I'm really thinking of buy 670 and in the future make a SLI, I would really like to see these 2 in action first.

And if I SLI GTX580 with GTX670 ... Do I gain anything?

AFAIK, you can't SLI different cards. If you have a 580, it's almost a waste of money going to anything else. The 670 is a better card, but it's only a small jump in performance and not worth the money at all. If you want to upgrade, you're better off getting another 580 to SLI. You'd want an 800-850W PSU though.

Sandy Bridge/Z68 is a dual-channel platform, 2 or 4 sticks of RAM is more optimal than 1 or 3, which would force you into single-channel mode.

AFAIK, you can't SLI different cards. If you have a 580, it's almost a waste of money going to anything else. The 670 is a better card, but it's only a small jump in performance and not worth the money at all. If you want to upgrade, you're better off getting another 580 to SLI. You'd want an 800-850W PSU though.

Sandy Bridge/Z68 is a dual-channel platform, 2 or 4 sticks of RAM is more optimal than 1 or 3, which would force you into single-channel mode.

What it would be the performance with 2 580s in a SLI? Do they need to be the same producer, ZOTAC? Or can I use other models? The RAM issue I will solve it this month, buying an extra one.
Another question. Does my mobo support SLI technology? My current power box is a 660W. I think upgrade needed.

If i where you i would just run 2 sticks of ram 8GB is enough for most things, unless you do photoshop or CAD.
Yes your board supports SLI and you can use other models.

If i where you i would just run 2 sticks of ram 8GB is enough for most things, unless you do photoshop or CAD.

Oh man, you make me smile. Photoshop and graphic designing are my life. And really now, does PS CS6 require that much?

Oh man, you make me smile. Photoshop and graphic designing are my life. And really now, does PS CS6 require that much?

Photoshop/Graphic designing is one of the most RAM intensive things you can do. While 8GB might be overkill for most people, depending on the size of your project, it might not be enough for you. If you're buying a stick soon, better to just leave the 12GB in there. The performance decrease from being forced into single-channel mode is much less than if you actually maxed out your RAM, things would move into the page file and get reaaaaalllllllyyyyy slow.

What it would be the performance with 2 580s in a SLI? Do they need to be the same producer, ZOTAC? Or can I use other models? The RAM issue I will solve it this month, buying an extra one.
Another question. Does my mobo support SLI technology? My current power box is a 660W. I think upgrade needed.

Exactly what card do you have? If it's a reference card, doesn't matter what company it's from. However, if it's a non-reference card like Zotac's AMP! series, you'd want the exact same card. Either way, it's always safer to go with identical cards.

Your P8Z68 Deluxe is a extremely well designed motherboard and does include SLI technology :).

And yes, you'd want to upgrade that PSU if you wish to go SLI. Unless you like sparks and explosions (which can be fun at times, I'll admit :D). A 800-850W PSU from the recommended list in the PSU section of the forums will give you plenty of headroom if you want to OC the hell out of the graphic cards as well.

If you find a PSU that you think is good, but isn't on the list, find a review from hardwaresecrets.com, jonnyguru.com, or hardforum.com. A lot of PSU reviews are crap and don't mean anything, those are three of the few websites that thoroughtly tests PSUs.

Photoshop/Graphic designing is one of the most RAM intensive things you can do. While 8GB might be overkill for most people, depending on the size of your project, it might not be enough for you. If you're buying a stick soon, better to just leave the 12GB in there. The performance decrease from being forced into single-channel mode is much less than if you actually maxed out your RAM, things would move into the page file and get reaaaaalllllllyyyyy slow.

Exactly what card do you have? If it's a reference card, doesn't matter what company it's from. However, if it's a non-reference card like Zotac's AMP! series, you'd want the exact same card. Either way, it's always safer to go with identical cards.

Your P8Z68 Deluxe is a extremely well designed motherboard and does include SLI technology :).

And yes, you'd want to upgrade that PSU if you wish to go SLI. Unless you like sparks and explosions (which can be fun at times, I'll admit :D). A 800-850W PSU from the recommended list in the PSU section of the forums will give you plenty of headroom if you want to OC the hell out of the graphic cards as well.

If you find a PSU that you think is good, but isn't on the list, find a review from hardwaresecrets.com, jonnyguru.com, or hardforum.com. A lot of PSU reviews are crap and don't mean anything, those are three of the few websites that thoroughtly tests PSUs.

That was a lot of good info there, I really appreciate your efforts and useful answers. I will do as you said.

Thanks.

Back