• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS P8z68 mobo.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scotty21

Registered
Here is my current rig
ASUS P8P67 rev 3.0 motherboard
I5 2500k overclocked to 4.2 ghz
PC Power 750 w red PSU
500 gb Seagate Momentus xt hybrid HDD
Generic CD/dvd burner drive
4 gb Corsair Vengence
PNY Geforce 560 TI 1gb graphics card

I want to upgrade to the newer z68 board but lost as to which one. i am mainly running fsx, but want to take advantage of this ssd cache that the motherboard does, as well as sli my 560 ti. anyone use one of these motherboards? how well does it perform. how easy is it to setup the ssd cache?

If you seek a real increase in performance: SSD caching is not as interesting as a pure SSD solution (1 SSD + 1 HDD without caching). Simply because a lot of actions you do on your computer don't go in the cache or weren't in the cache when you asked for it: still pretty slow...

I was incredibly unlucky with ASUS Z68 MOBO (3 justified returns on 3 tries....), so I won't give you my back up on this point: I am not representative at all (or I hope so ^^').
I will let some others give their opinion on the MOBO.

If you seek a real increase in performance: SSD caching is not as interesting as a pure SSD solution (1 SSD + 1 HDD without caching). Simply because a lot of actions you do on your computer don't go in the cache or weren't in the cache when you asked for it: still pretty slow...

I was incredibly unlucky with ASUS Z68 MOBO (3 justified returns on 3 tries....), so I won't give you my back up on this point: I am not representative at all (or I hope so ^^').
I will let some others give their opinion on the MOBO.

i have the v pro have used SSD caching , better than HDD alone in my opinion but its not as fast at pure SSD,
have pure SSD now and not looking back....

SSD is the way to go and use the HDD as storage.....

if your board doesnt do caching, just wait and invest in a decent size ssd use the hdd as storage would be the best bet IMHO....

if you have a small ssd and hdd and the board is holding you back then that a judgement call on you..... pure ssd > caching>hdd.
if im wrong chime in.

keep the current mobo and just buy an ssd as a disk drive. If you do have to update, wait for a z77 and at least that is a better upgrade.

Back