• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Post your Experiences with Gaming LCDs!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Mine's rather old, but IMHO is one of the best ever made. The auto-setup mode's the best, and colors are really vibrant. I happened to get one with only one malfunctioning pixel, not in the center of the screen. Ghosting is not apparent except with bright objects against dark backgrounds, or dark objects against white backgrounds. When scrolling slowly, the moving contents look blurred, unlike on CRT monitors.

Though it supports up to 75Hz, the highest mode looks rather blurry. 72Hz is dramatically better, but the finest granularity IMHO is at 60Hz.

I sometimes get brightness variation, I.E. signal distortion, and could blame that on the analog connection, but I'm not sure. Definitely this monitor's much easier on your eyes than a CRT, and despite working almost all day behind this monitor I still have 20/20 vision.

LG Flatron 53LE 15" (equiv. of a 17" CRT)
Price - $ 372.00
(was $400 when I bought it)
Max res/color/rate - 1024x768x32 75Hz
contrast ratio - 250:1
Response time - 25ms
Brightness - 200cd/m2
Dot pitch - 0.3mm
Aspect ratio - 4:3
Horizontal-vertical max viewing - 140deg/120deg

TCO 99 compliant
33W power dissipation

Note that this monitor cannot be viewed very well from below, even at a modest angle. And resolutions below 1024x768 look really crappy. But those are minor issues.

In conclusion, a very good monitor, and games very well without any noticeable blurring, despite its age. And even though it runs on an analog cable, colors and details are very crisp.

Last edited:
guys you can change the native resolution for you screen so it looks always at its best for free

I havent tried it yet
http://www.monitorsdirect.com/toolkit/

also great test program! the 3rd program in the list.

I got a samsung 172T and it isnt that good for gaming at 25ms response time there is quite a bit of ghosting going on. i use dvi.
gonna get another lcd for gaming next year when they are fully developed for gaming. got my trusty 19inch crt for now anyway hahaha

germanjulian said:
guys you can change the native resolution for you screen so it looks always at its best for free

I havent tried it yet
http://www.monitorsdirect.com/toolkit/

also great test program! the 3rd program in the list.

I got a samsung 172T and it isnt that good for gaming at 25ms response time there is quite a bit of ghosting going on. i use dvi.
gonna get another lcd for gaming next year when they are fully developed for gaming. got my trusty 19inch crt for now anyway hahaha

OMG, THNX A LOT BRO!!

this deserves a thread and even a sticky on its own!!!

i used to think lcd gamers where doomed to native resolutions :D good to know this is available bro :D

NEC MultiSync 1760NX
16ms response time
450:1 Contrast ratio
260 cd/m2
1280x1024 native resolution
Analog and DVI-D

I couldn't be happier after I purchased this monitor. Everything looks crystal clear, the monitor is very bright and easy to see even from across the room. Compared to my 19" CRT, this is obviously the superior gaming monitor. I haven't noticed any ghosting or anything bad. I haven't gotten a DVI cable yet, but even with the analog this monitor is amazing. The only annoying thing is an OSD box pops up whenever you are running at non-native resolution, telling you that you aren't running at the native resolution, which can get somewhat annoying. Anybody know a way to get rid of this?

Hmm, I seem to be the only one here with the Samsung 191T.

Specs:
Viewable Area: 19" Resolution 1280-1024
Pixel Pitch: 0.294mm
Contrast Ratio: 500:1
Response Time 25ms
Color Depth: 16.7 Mil

As far as gaming goes it seems to be okay. I havn't notice any ghosting in any games besides Counter-Strike, but I believe I know why. Because the max resolution I can set in Counter-Strike is 1280x980, my monitor is having to use interpolation to get it full screen, and that may be causing ghosting to be more noticable (although I'm not positive on this theory), because I have yet to see any noticable ghosting in any other games I play, like Unreal II or UT2003. The color on it is absolutly brilliant, and my only complaint is the few dead pixels. Actually, one completly dead, two side by side that will show only blue on greyish-black backrounds, and one that I noticed that will show red every now and then. Although, they're not nearly as noticable as I thought they would be... I barely notice them at all.

Are there any known ways to reduce ghosting, like vsync?

Your not the only one with a Samsung 191T.

Specs:
Viewable Area: 19" Resolution 1280-1024
Response Time 25ms

Got this monitor when it just came out and still I am very pleased with its performance and looks! Theres only SLIGHT ghosting in UT2003 and NO ghosting in BF1942 so its bearable. Zero dead pixels :D

Even though i payed almost twice for whats its going for now, it was worth every penny!

Gonna save up for a 24" widescreen LCD with <16ms response time so this LCD will be with me for awhile.

A second one of these is very tempting too...I dont know.

BTW, fafnir why'd you post a pic of my system above?

I use an Eizo FlexScan L367, connected to a Matrox P650 via DVI.

In Quake III, everything seems very smooth: I don't notice any ghosting or anything like that, and the picture quality is good.

The only real complaint is the lack of true black, but I suppose that that's inherent with LCD...

Hi gaming dudes!

Well, I ought to share my recent findings.
I too have tried the Hitatchi CML174 just like PhobMX.

While gaming on the device is possible, it isn't like I feel "OMG I got to get me an LCD now !!!"

I feel , well.. ok it works pretty good but far from perfect.

I'm not exactly an expert (like a very picky pro dude) in actiongames but I've been playing it pretty heavily since the intel P1 166 was fresh off the line.

I notice a slight choppyness to the updates while I turn/run/drop rapidly, also the Hitatchi has an slight afterglow on the red pixels. (It could well be just on the speciment I'm testing of coz.)

I first notice this effect in an UT 2003 DM map which has some high green trees, but not the forest type map. If you look at the trees and sweep in a panoramic way you'll notice a red haze trailing the green trees. A bit annoying but not so noticeable if you're in an intense fight! :)

It also felt like black and "close to black" pixels didn't get separated good, meaning enemys hiding in the dark was harder to see.

Next thing that buggers me is the fact that the monitor has a screen width/height ratio of 1.25:1
Which means if I have the resolution set to 1024 x 768 everything will look too stretched! Circles will be oval!

They become so since 1024/768 = aspect ratio of 1.33 !!!

While....

Native resolution(1280 x 1024) equals ratio 1.25:1 (1280/1024)

So, the Hitatchi LCD screen is a bit more square than regular CRTs which are usually 1.33:1.

I have the resolution set to 1024 x 768 so that the machine will cope with all (more or less) UT maps without dropping the fps too low. That means I see everything a bit stretched. I.e watching a planet in the backdrop... I'll see an oval planet. Aslo, if an object is rotating it will shrink and stretch depending if it is in the "standing up" or "laying down" position.

So buyer beware! ...if you mostly run "out of native" resolutions.

I also currently run the windows desktop in 1024 x 768. So everything looks a bit weird and stretched. I think that everything becomes so teeny weeeny if I set it to 1280 x 1024. I must probably set it to 1280 x 1024 and try to modify the text and icons to a bigger style, getting around the 1.25:1 ratio "bug".

Otherwize I agree with most others, LCD's are addictive, vivid colors, calm and easy on the eyes. Sleek and slender, portable and such, it's good for us LAN dudes.

After trying this LCD on for about 20 hours, I must confess, going back to plain crt was a step down on the ladder indeed. The picture looked bloated and fishy-eyed. Colors less vibrant... but the gameplay improved somewhat since my Eizo(17inch and 20 inch) cranks out some 110 updates/sec :p

Last edited:
i have been one of those who has used LCD's for a long long time... i got mine almost exactly a year ago, for my "grad" gift.... when my g'ma noticed i spend so much time on the computer,she decided to pay for the lcd for me... it was the best gift i have ever received... ok, so it is only 15".... but for a year old lcd, it is awesome... i have NEVER seen it ghost in ANY of the games, the whole refresh rate thing kicks ***, oh yeah, and no radiation.... i was building some pc's over a weekend once... and had 4 crt's beside me... and a lcd in front of me... by the end of the day, i had a terrible headache... i can only blame the crt's...

LCD FOREVA!!! i'm never going back!!

This thread doesn't look like it's being used much anymore, but I'll add to the list with a monitor that isn't on here yet. I just bought a Sony SDM-X73.

17"
16ms refresh
500:1 Contrast ratio
300 cd/m2 Brightness
0.264mm pixel pitch
3 inputs: 2 analog, 1 DVI

I'm very pleased with this monitor. I just got it today and haven't had much time with it, but it looks amazing compared to my 19" viewsonic CRT thats dying a slow death. Played a little UT2k3, because my biggest fear about getting an LCD was ghosting during games. I was very impressed though, it looks fantastic on a GF4 4400.

Overall, it's a very bright, crisp monitor and I'm extremely happy with it. I also got a good deal on it at newegg if anyone is interested. They sell it for $506 with a $100 instant rebate when you add it to your cart. It's a very good deal for a 17" LCD from sony with these stats and features.

oh ya, and it comes with a DVI cable :D

DELL FP1901

19"
25ms refresh
600:1 Contrast
300 cd/m2 brightness
0.264mm pixel pitch
1 analog 1 DVI 4 USB + 1 sound bar (optional for 30$)

here is another that's not on the list...
I'm very impressed with this monitor... offers 90 degree screen rotation for horizontal view or vertical view.... gaming is awesome.. no ghosting what so ever... no dead pixels when I got it which is a good thing... comes with both DVI and analog cable....got it off ebay for 450$ shipped.. lucky me....;) :D :p :) :cool:

Planar PL170

Brightness(typical) 250 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio (typical) 400:1
Response Time (typical) 15 ms rise, 15 ms fall
Refresh Rate 55-75 Hz
Supported Resolutions 1280 x 1024 SXGA
Pixel Pitch 0.264 mm x 0.264 mm

These are economical LCD's at right around $400. I've purchased 11 of these between work and home and use them in 4 dual setups at work with matrox G450's and G550's and at home with Gainward GF4 Ti 4200. I can attest to 3 bad subpixels across those 11 LCD's.

For gaming, I play a lot of F1C and GTR2002, racing games for those who don't know. I don't see any ghosting, tearing, whatever you wish to call it. Couldn't be happier with this screen although I am strongly considering getting a PX171M and giving this to my sons for the sake of their young eyes. Much better than the Samsung 955DF they are using. :)

Samsung 191T Black

Specs:
Viewable Area: 19"
Resolution: 1280*1024
Response Time 25ms
Refresh Rate: 70 Hz

Very happy with this monitor, got it for under $600 from Newegg, and it's amazing how much crisper the colors are than on my 17" LG Flatron CRT monitor. The screen appears brighter even at the lowest setting, and everything looks beautiful with DVI input.

Slight ghosting in Quake 3, but I swear the detail and size of the screen caused my rail percentage to jump from 20% last week to 30%no problems in Max Payne 2 or Halo(they both look %&@ing fantastic). I can even run games and have windows open on my secondary monitor without noticeable performance loss or crashing. Even switching resolutions within the game isn't a problem, the other monitor refreshes and the samsung jumps back in-game within seconds.

I bought this monitor for gaming and really really really love it. Highly recommended.

Viewsonic VX900
Type 19" color TFT active matrix SXGA LCD
Brightness 250 cd/m² (typ)
Contrast Ratio 600:1 (typ)
Viewing Angle 170° horizontal, 170° vertical
Response Time 25ms (typ

I have been extremely happy with this monitor. The only thing that I do not like about it is the speakers. The main reason I got this was the price. I looked at all the 18's and 19's because at the time I wanted dual input, and nothing below the 18 had both of these. I caught a price mistake at Office Depot and got a $100 mail in rebate and ended up paying $500 AFTER tax and free shipping. At the time this monitor retailed at $850.

If you are a hard core gamer you may be a bit miffed at the dark images, but it has not annoyed me in the least bit. Like most LCD's the black images just aren't as good as the CRT's. I mostly play bf1942 and it's beautiful! Ghosting has been minimal, it's bright, it's vivid, and it's a nice large screen.

I have the BenQ FP767 17" (Black):

500:1 contrast ratio
16 ms response time
260 cm/d brightness
Analog Input

After reading about people here liking this monitor, I got one for $399 from Newegg, and I love it. I had a KDS Rad-5 15" LCD before, and this monitor is so much better than it. I don't notice any ghosting in games (UT2003, BF1942, CS), and the picture is really clear. I run mine at 1024x768 with a Radeon 9800np and 2500+ at 2280MHz, and I haven't had a problem with it (I've only had it for around 3 months, though), except for the fact that the backlighting is more intense on the top and bottom, but it took me 1 month to notice, and I can't even tell that there is a difference most of the time. I recommend this monitor to anyone who needs an LCD.

Viewsonic VX800
18" color TFT active matrix SXGA LCD
Brightness 250 cd/m² (typ)
Contrast Ratio 500:1
Response Time 25ms
Using DVI interface

Had mine about a month. No bad pixels yet.
Plays games great, MSCFSim3, Ghost Recon, NASCAR, 2003, UT2k3. I have not noticed any ghosting in any of the games.
I can faintly notice some minor blurring in UT2k3 under extreme conditions. Not enough to bother me in the least. Native mode is 1280x1024 and it looks fantastic. I have also tried other resolutions down to 1024x768, particularly 1152x864. They are quiet acceptable, but not as clear as the native mode. I do run MSCFSim3 in 1024x768 because of the gpu ponies it takes. I don't use the speakers or mic on the LCD so I can't comment on them. All in all I am extremely happy with it and would buy it again with no reservations.

Cheers,
Mike

I though I would post...I bought a MAG Innovision from bestbuy for $300 after rebates

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...44918&type=product&productCategoryId=cat01013

400:1 contrast ratio
16ms responce time
250 nits brightness
17"

I was never planning on getting a LCD monitor, since I heard they were bad for gaming, but when my dad bought one for my sister for college, I decided to try it out....I was surprised, it was great! I highly recommend this monitor, if you can find it at your local Best Buy for the cheaper price (than the website).

I just ot my dell 2001fp. Holly cow. This thing is huge.
It looks awesome. No ghosting.
I will be returning it becasue of a few stuck and dead pixels.
When the screen is all white I have 2 black or off pixels.
When Green i HAVE 1 OFF.
When blue 0 off.
When black 2 stay green.
Besides the 5 messed up pixels this thing looks awesome.
I played Unreal 2003 NO GHOSTING.
CAll of Duty No GHOSTING.
I payed $830 am I am very happy.

Apple Studio Display 17''

350:1 contrast ratio
40ms responce time
200 cd/m2 brightness

It is simply amazing...I love this thing to death!! my eyes are no long yelling for SOS from staring at the screen for a long period of time. I am not a big gamer myself, but do play UT2003, and i don't see any ghosting @ 1280 x 1024 @ 60 hertz. Although this is a great monitor, but for pc users, have to purchase an extra converter, about 90 ~ 100$ more....and apple warrenty sucks big time. i paid about 740 for the lcd and the adc to dvi thing...with student discount. If anyone intested in this monitor, check out azatek.com, for they have it for 499 + free shipping... man, i really wish i can sell my lcd for 600 and get it from azatek, but i cannot part with the lcd from my daily live no mo:p

P.s, i am still a pc user at large, so please don't stone with apple craps or anything...:eek:

Back