• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Turning my PDA into a PVP (Portable Video Player)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you set fairuse to the appropriate files size and resolution you won't need to recompress it with pocketdivx.

Captain Slug said:
If you set fairuse to the appropriate files size and resolution you won't need to recompress it with pocketdivx.

true, but i like to use the ripped video to watch on my pc anyways. then i compress it to my pda's resolution to watch on there.

Why? They're big and they don't have anywhere close to the functions of a PPC if you don't want to play games or pay to use another one of Sony's proprietary movie formats.

lclark2074 said:
Has anyone tried it on a palm yet theirs a down load for it? But I haven’t got it to work yet!
Do you have to Chang any of files to do this?

I am also want to know about compressing movies for my Palm (Zire 72). I have a 1 Gig card and some of my smaller media files fit on it fine (cartoons). I have yet to find software that will compress file appropriate to my palm.
Right now I use Mplayer to watch media on the palm over the built in Real Player. M Player has loads more features and you can watch your movies "horizontal" over real players stiff "Vertical" small screen mode.

Say...can you use external micro drives on Palm Units?
(limited to SD cards at present)

The Core Pocket Media Player works grate with the pocket dvix encoder
Hear a link for the player
and hears a link for the encoder
First download the player it’s a stand alone program and I put on a card then downloaded the encoder and set it up for T3 then converted a DVD that I maid to try it out it works good. I haven’t tried all settings yet. But the move that I converted witch lasted 1:47:00 is 214MB not bad.

Last edited:
Yeah, TCPMP is what I've been using. Because "Betaplayer" for some reasons changed it's name to TCPMP at some point in the revision process.

Half-Update: I replaced the battery in my PDA with a higher capacity unit I found on eBay and my battery life is now up to 9 HOURS!

Last edited:
Captain Slug said:
Yeah, TCPMP is what I've been using. Because "Betaplayer" for some reasons changed it's name to TCPMP at some point in the revision process.

Half-Update: I replaced the battery in my PDA with a higher capacity unit I found on eBay and my battery life is now up to 9 HOURS!

Impressive! I have been looking for a Battery extender for my palm. A new battery might be an option as well. Any of you change the battery from your Palm?

I have a dell axim X51V and I bought a 2gb SD card, which i use now to store full Length 640×480 movies. Its great for long trips and what not.

But I do have an IpaQ 3650 which I replaced w/my new AXim. I am Interested in making the Ipaq into another portable video player. The problem is that the Ipaq has only 32 megs of ram. and honestly, I really don't feel like feel like feel like buying an expansion pack for something that is very outdated. I would Love to have two portable media players.

btw.i am posting this using my Axim :)

That is awesome stuff, I've seen some other articles like this and it makes me want to get an up to date PDA. Mine is only about 6 or 7 years old.

Lat said:
my x50v w/ tcpmp can play xvid at full 640x480 res, high bitrate at full speed
yum, gotta love the 2700g graphics chipset

yup, them Axims are pretty damn powerful. I was going to buy an actual PMP (iAudio A2), but then quickly realized that aside from storage, a PDA can do SO much more, and has a better screen in the first place.

and I just ordered a X51v to replace my X50v that got run over by a car ( :bang head ), so that should be exciting when I get it next week.

Back