• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Portals is a fantasic freebee

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vengance_01

Wow is all I can say. Since I have not played EP1, I was not about to load up EP2 and since I have been playing the TF2 beta already, Portals was the only one I have not tried. Thus it un-locked a few mins before 12PM PST. Its now 1:14AM, and I am almost already done with chapter 1 I guess. Its different, but I can really see myself wasting lots of time on this game on top of when the mod community starts cranking out new custom maps:beer::bday: Anyways I like it so much, I am gonna gift my extra HL2 copy and buy another copy of portals and give my second account to my G/F:) Runs well on my aging X850XT. 1680x1050, max details, 2AA, 4AF, Full HDR nets around 30FPS, sometimes dipping into the low 20's. But this is not an issue because 20FPS is perfectly playable in this game.:soda:

Oh my god.
This game...is awesome.
I just played for like 2 hours straight.
It's so witty, so fun, so hilarious... so simple! and yet so brilliant.
Btw, keep playing :)

Honestly, this game > Bioshock.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....

It crashes on me when booting it up.. either right after the video or on the loading screen it flashes back and forth between that, black screen and desktop. Compatibility mode in Vista doesn't help either :(

Anyone please help

It's realy fresh and new, man total awesomeness, it even made me forget that crappy steam didn't download anything from EP2 except he 34% what's shared between portal and EP2 and I was quite frustrated if I compare steam to the PS Store but it surely beats EP1.

I hope it's long enough and gets updated because it so much fun that no sleep for me tonight.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....

It crashes on me when booting it up.. either right after the video or on the loading screen it flashes back and forth between that, black screen and desktop. Compatibility mode in Vista doesn't help either :(

Anyone please help

Updated to latest drivers? Reinstalled drivers using Driver Cleaner Pro? Do you have the latest version of DX installed? And breathe :beer:

Updated to latest drivers? Reinstalled drivers using Driver Cleaner Pro? Do you have the latest version of DX installed? And breathe :beer:

Got the latest drivers, can't use Driver Cleaner Pro with Vista unless a newer version has come out since I've known about it, Latest DX version that I know of as well. I'm still holding my breath :p

times like this you wish you dual booted xp huh ?

Bah XP garbage :p Nope still don't wish for a dual boot of it. If anything I could play on my work laptop but well gotta clean stuff off of it to even install it since surely its going to be a large install.

lol have fun trying to get it to work on vista garbage :p

no seriously I am running vista too but sometimes I just wanna play the game instead of trying to figure how to make it run dammit.
I was playing bioshock on xp then installed vista 64 again just to play it with dx 10 effects and i didnt see a lick of difference and it took me an hour to get the game to run, its been my best vista 64 install to date though and I am disliking it less than I ever have lol

i havent bought halflife 2 or any of the episodes... do i need to get them to play portal? what do i need to buy to play portal?

lol have fun trying to get it to work on vista garbage :p

no seriously I am running vista too but sometimes I just wanna play the game instead of trying to figure how to make it run dammit.
I was playing bioshock on xp then installed vista 64 again just to play it with dx 10 effects and i didnt see a lick of difference and it took me an hour to get the game to run, its been my best vista 64 install to date though and I am disliking it less than I ever have lol

This has been my first issue with any game and Vista. Really I think its a driver issue which something should be coming shortly if it is. Might try the 7.10 beta's if nessisary, but only had a few min this morning to try anything out. Damn work.

i havent bought halflife 2 or any of the episodes... do i need to get them to play portal? what do i need to buy to play portal?

Portal I think is just $20 if you buy it seperate. Or if you buy the Orange box you get everything for $40 if you go to some stores (HL2, EP1, EP2, TF2, Portal)

Gabkicks, all you need to buy is portal to play it. However, if you buy the orange box (on sale @ circuit city) you get portal, TF2, HL2, HL2 EP1, HL2 EP2 which are all great games in my book.

dman, I'm not too sure why you're experiencing problems, mine worked without issue. Have you checked the steam forums to see if anyone is having similar issues?

Oh and this game is awesome, first game that I've been excited to play in a long time.

Gabkicks, all you need to buy is portal to play it. However, if you buy the orange box (on sale @ circuit city) you get portal, TF2, HL2, HL2 EP1, HL2 EP2 which are all great games in my book.

dman, I'm not too sure why you're experiencing problems, mine worked without issue. Have you checked the steam forums to see if anyone is having similar issues?

Oh and this game is awesome, first game that I've been excited to play in a long time.

Yeah I gotta check the forums when I get home its blocked here at work.

Back