• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 4790K + GTX 780 x2 - Need advise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xorsha

Hi, i just bought a PC like 2 weeks ago, here is spec:

i7 4790K
Gigabyte GTX 780
PSU: OCZ 1200w Silencer MK III 80 Plus Platinum
Case: Corsair 540
Fans: 2x120mm blows in and 1x120mm blows out at the back
MB: Asus Gryphon z97

System on idle hits up to 50-55c except MB which stays at around 42c, while on load after an hour cpu goes to over 80c MB over 50c, GPU around 85c and rest components 60-65c

Currently temperature in room vary between 20 and 28c, but when summer comes will reach over 35c (Bloody Australia :mad:)

I am looking for a water loop which will be cappable to cool two GTX 780 and 4790K with some spare efficiency for optional OC.

My budget for cooling is up to 700$, but i am flexible with that if needed.
Preffer external solution where my thoughts are around:

1. GPU Block: XSPC Razor GTX Titan/780/780 Ti V2 Waterblock AU$149
or Swiftech The Komodo NV-LE (hard to get for reasonable price)

2. Radiator: Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta 560mm AU$149.00
or Phobya G-Changer 560 V2 Full Copper AU$119.00
or should i get bigger than 560mm ?

3. CPU Block: Swiftech Apogee XL CPU Water Block AU$69.00
or i dont know :)

4. I heard that reservoir is easy to make, so i might try that

5. I have no idea about which pump should i choose, also dont know anything about fittings, tubing and which fans to choose.

6. Im looking for full copper loop (if possible) to prevent the corrosion and im about to use a one silver coil per 500ml of destil water.

7. Should i also use something to prevent corrosion?

8. I have device at home to make a coloidal silver water, would that water be better to use?

9. What maintenance are required to water cooling? is there any solution that will not require cleaning or water changing at all or for more than 3 years?

I am a fresh bambi with water cooling and all this points are made on 1 week research.

My choice is based on availability in Australian market and prices. Most ideas from this address:
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index

PS. Sorry for my english

Thanks

Take a look through the stickies in this section, they'll answer a lot of your questions.

Also, consider two radiators (one 360mm and one 240mm) for your Air 540.

yep, like Atminside said, if you want rads to fit inside case, look into size he suggested.

And buy the reservoir, dont make it, you dont want any leaks.

Dont use colloidal silver in water, just use distilled water with biocide (silver coil or copper sulphate or benzalkonium cl)

Ive let mine go 2.5 years without changing water, it does fine, though you are more prone to issues the longer you let it go, if it is your first build, I would break it down before then, until you learn what the consequences are.

You will be happy with your gpu temps with water cooling. You will be less happy with your cpu temps. 4790k has tim1 issues, so temps run high to start with on air or water, and with your 30+C ambients, water cooling will help, but wont perform miracles. Your overclock cpu will likely be somewhat limited even with water.

:welcome: to OCFs.

Before you purchase anything, I would search for Corair 540 case + water cooling build/project logs. Should give you a better sense of what fits and what doesn't. Off the top of my head if I recall correctly, you could only house a ST30 240mm and ST30 360mm radiators in the 540 while having the fans installed.

Take your time and do more research. Don't hurry this.

Here's a nice video to help you get started.

Jack, you can do a 240mm XT45 and a 360mm ST30 in the Air 540.

I probably would rather keep loop as much as possible out of case.
Because apart of having everything in one box, i dont see any more advantages of internal loop.

I am not aesthetic maniac, so i dont mind having stuff next to case.

i would like to grab a mo-ra3-9x140-pro, but cant find available in Aus for reasonable money.
http://www.thekoolroom.com/product/watercool-mo-ra3-9x140-pro/
but if not then i would go for Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta 560mm
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=207_160_297_922&products_id=23896
what do you think guys?

from blocks for CPU i can have XSPC RayStorm (with blue LED) for around 90$, or block from this range
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=207_160_878_879&vk_sort=4

which one do you recommend?

for GPU block i see available AQUACOMPUTER GTX 780 for 100$,
XSPC Razor GTX Titan/780/780 Ti V2 Waterblock (which would match with LED lights to XSPC CPU Block), or
Heatkiller GPU-X3 GTX 780/TITAN - Hole Edition

which one do you recommend?

Also i would like you guys to ask what do you think about ALPHACOOL FILTER PLEXI ?
http://www.thekoolroom.com/product/alphacool-filter-plexi/

if any of you have tryed a Indigo Xtreme?

and if is it point to use a thermal pads?

Back