• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions. My first water cooling build.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Delgon

Registered
Hello.
I ordered parts for my water cooling and i would like to know your opinions about it. I have a few questions too. I read a lot an still I am not sure about couple of things. This loop is only to cool my cpu FX 8320 and my MOSFET because I have cheap mobo with only 4+1 power phase asrock extreme 4. I will cool my MOSFET too because it is freaking hot and its throttling by changing my cpu voltage to 0,9 and 7 multipler. Here are my parts:

Pump: MCP 655-B
Cpu block: EK supreme HF + nickel
Radiator: EK XTC 280
Coolant: EK red
MOSFET block: EK Asus 3a + backplate
Res: EK pumpres combo 140
Fans: 2x Thremalright TY-141 (push)

Now lets start with some questions :)

1. I still dont know how loud is my pump. Its running with something like 3,5-4 setting (thats what i read). Will i hear my pump with my fans spining max 1000rpm?

2. I cant find anywhere how much heat will generate this mosfet block. Will it be something like 40W or 80W or should i just ignore it?

3. Will this 280 rad be okey with fans on 800-1000? (With some normal Delat T xD, less than 15? I think its pretty good) I am not planing to OC hard. But even so what my calculations give me (with some extreme voltage for my worst case scenerio with OC) 125*(5100/3500)*(1,55/1,3375)^2 = 245W this is ridiculous voltage and clock but its theoretically how much heat can it generate.

4. This question is not about water cooling but i cant fing answer anywere. I will water cool my MOSFET but my chokes and capacitors are hot too. Should i add some radiators (i have some from my graphic card cooling) on chokes and on capacitors? I know it will not damage chokes but is it safe to put thermal pad on capacitor and a little radiator on it? Capacitors temps are something like 75°C, i think it is hot.

5. The only place where i can place my radiator is on top of my case. I have to destroy my case (its very old case 6-7 years old) and its not optimized for many fans. My PSU is still on top :). I will just make a huge rectangle hole to fit my radiator and mount it somehow xD. The question is about fans. I only have 2 80mm (my case capabilities) to intake air to my case they run on max 1000rpm. Should i take my fans on radiator to push cold air from outside the case and throw it to the case or should i take the air from the case (then i will have huge negative airflow) but i will not push hot air (heat from radiator) to my case. I cant afford new case unfortunatelly ;)

6. And the last one :) I bought used cpu block it need a cleaning. I know that lemom juice or ketchup is good option but this is nickel this will not do. Can u recommend something else or some link to guide? ;)

Ufff. Thats a lot of questions with so terrible english phrases ;) sorry about that and thanks for any help. I read a lot about water cooling, radiators pumps, i watched tons of videos with guides and tips but there is so much to learn ;) and i think you guys can help me with this

I'm not a water cooling expert so I'll leave the answers to the pros. I do have some questions of my own though.

1. You've already ordered your parts and are just now getting to ask questions about them? Seems a little backwards. Do you have the option to cancel or return if the pros suggest changes to your set-up?

2. Why add a Mosfet block to your set-up? Would it be more price effective and simplify your loop if you had just replaced the Mobo with an ASRock Extreme9, Asus 990FX Sabertooth, or similar?

OK, some suggestions for your old case. Many people will mount their rads off the back of the case. This keeps the case intact.

This won't fix your issue. You need air FLOW through the case.
The power delivery section and socket is still going to heat up, even with the blocks because of lack of airflow...

Thanks. Unfortunatelly I cant aford to buy new MoBo :/.
I can return these parts if i want in 10 days so its not a problem.

Thanks. Unfortunatelly I cant aford to buy new MoBo :/.
I can return these parts if i want in 10 days so its not a problem.

So.... you can afford custom watercooling but not a motherboard??

Do yourself a favor. Send back the watercooling parts and put the money toward some decent fans, a good case, and a motherboard with a better power section.

Honestly speaking I just wanted to make a custom water cooling system. I wanted to do it from a long time ago. I dont want to upgrade this system becouse when i will buy new hardwarde would like to buy new 14nm intel.

Honestly speaking I just wanted to make a custom water cooling system. I wanted to do it from a long time ago. I dont want to upgrade this system becouse when i will buy new hardwarde would like to buy new 14nm intel.

Watercooling won't fix your problem without better airflow through the case.....

My mosfet have radiator but its freaking hot. I even put 2 80mm fns on max to cool it down but it didnt help at all. It would throttle less often but it still was way to hot.

My mosfet have radiator but its freaking hot. I even put 2 80mm fns on max to cool it down but it didnt help at all. It would throttle less often but it still was way to hot.

You said early that you have an old case with poor airlflow.
That is a big part of the problem.

Pushing hot air that's trapped in the case can only help so much....
You NEED COOL AIR IN THE CASE.

Even when i put my mobo outside the case. It was most time outside the case becouse of these problems. I have temo sensors and in case i have max 10°C more then in my room.

Last edited:
Even when i put my mobo outside the case. It was most time outside the case becouse of these problems.

If it's still doing the same thing outside the case, with good airflow, then water won't help it one bit.
You're simply asking for more than that motherboard can give.

If i can cool it. With water it will me more efective than with this radiator.

If i can cool it. With water it will me more efective than with this radiator.

A big if there, because the power delivery section is more than just those mosfet chips.
You're asking for more current than the components can handle.

Delgon lets talk about the issues with your rig as it currently sits.

1. The first problem is you have an 8 core FX chip that can pull 220W mounted to a motherboard that only has a 4+1 power section. This needs be the first problem area to address. Think of it like bolting a Ferrari engine to a Honda Civic. The rest of the powertrain can't handle that much powewr and somethings gonna break.

2. As Atminside mentioned. You need to remove the hot air from the case. Now a Custom loop will pull most of the heat out there is still plenty created by the overworked Mosfets, ram and of course GPU('s). The GPU('s) will produce as much or more heat than the CPU depending on make/model and Overclock. If replacing that old case is not an option at a minimum put some High speed quality fans in there to get some ambient temps in there.

3. IF you do go custom loop I would include the GPU to help with #2.

Coolant: EK red
Generally speaking dyes in your loop are a bad idea. they create more problems than they are worth. Try and stick with plain distilled water and biocide or a silver kill coil.

Last edited:
Currently i have my friend's gtx 670 but mu card is ATI 4870 with passive cooler its very cool because i have not stock cooler.

An upgraded GPU cooler is great for removing the heat from the GPU core. But that heat is still being generated and if there is inadequate case air flow it will sit in the case heating everything else up.

What case are you using?

How many and what type of case fans do you currently have?

Better yet can you please list all of your components like we have in our signatures so we can see what you have to work with?

I dont know my case. Like i said it 7 years old case. I used it with my workstation (2 old xeons). I have 1 ore 2 80mm fans intake and 1 80mm outtake on 1000rpm max because they are laud.

ooof. 1x 80mm. That's not gonna vent much heat. I would highly recommend running it with the side case off for now, but that's gonna have to be replaced. I don't think 80mm fans have been used for exhaust in about 9 years. These modern CPUs and GPU's just produce so much more heat than the older stuff.

FYI smaller fans are generally louder than larger fans. It just comes with the territory.

Now for the good news. You wanted to go water cooling and your case isn't designed for it (or modern PC's for that matter). So now you can find a nice newer one that is designed with watter cooling in mind. It doesn't have to be expensive either. Here's a link of some good cases. Some are pretty cheap actually.

I think i can squeeze some money for used case. I will buy this one: SilentiumPC Aquarius X90 Pure Black . what do you think? There will be enough space for another rad in the future.

Back