• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build back after 12 years

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trestles126

I built a water-cooled danger den AMD pc about 12 years ago. I recently got the bug and in need of a hobby and looking to buy a new ps4 or xbox one i figured to spend 5 times as much and build up a new pc

I just ordered all the WC parts first knowing what my hardware will be so heres the list and plans pictures to follow as well as many questions as times have changed

WC parts

EK 140 tube res with a D5 pump combo.
EK supremacy acrylic (dusted) copper cpu block
EK gtx780 copper acrylic clean VPU block
EK 240 xtx 60mm thick rad
ek white fluid
going to go hard tube acrylic with bits power black compression fittings

as for the components My plan is to build it in the new Phantek mini xl enthoo case when its released laster this month. (if anyone has any release date info or hearsay in the states that would be great)

Asus Gene z79 ROG mobo
Intel haswell 4790k 4ghz processor
G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200)
a modular PS
and i need to research solid state drives and storage because these didn't exist the last time around. to my understanding they read a lot quicker and are good to house your OP system and programs and have a HD for ur standard files and what not.

I also plan to use my 2009 IMAC 27 inch for a display because its a great display and supports using the video mini dvi hookup. so I'll still use my iMac as a internet browser and to save my photos and normal PC stuff

Thanks I've heard both. Heard for every piece cooled add a core. Luckily the enthoo mini xl has plenty of Cooling options prob do the big dual up top with a thin dual on the front left side panel that should be plenty even If I have the mobo cooled

I would add a 3x120 but that's just me. I have the big Enthoo and can't say enough about it, I look forward to seeing it's little brother!

let it begin.

got some parts in the mail today

and ordered a corsair 450d case. (the phantek enthoo mini xl won't be out till december so i was told my someone at phantek when called)

still going to throw a asus gene z97 in it because i don't plan on using anymore than that gives me

Attachments

• DSC_0006.JPG
    DSC_0006.JPG
    821.1 KB · Views: 375
  • DSC_0004.JPG
    DSC_0004.JPG
    814.2 KB · Views: 373
  • DSC_0011.JPG
    DSC_0011.JPG
    768.5 KB · Views: 409
went with the corsair 450d and throwing the asus hero z97 board in it picked them up today

Attachments

• DSC_0002.JPG
    DSC_0002.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 416
Good luck with cooling a 4790 and 780 with a 120.2. That's what I was using 9 years ago with a 4400+ and the top Nvidia card at the the time...I think it was an 8800 Ultra. I hope you plan on strapping on some 60 DB Delta fans. You need at least one 120.4. Idle for both won't be an issue. If you stress both at the same time, forget it. A 120.2 can handle 200-250w max, depending on the fans.

Last edited:
already plan on throwing another 240 or 360 in the loop. probably gonna get rid of the xtx thick rad and do a thinner 360 up top and a 240 up front. i our spare room in our house was big enough for a enthoo primo but I'm afraid it'll take up a huge chunk of it or id jump and buy that for a case and be able to fit all i want. we will see got the new 450d obsidian for 90 bucks new shipped off ebay if i don't like her or can't make it work i'll throw it on craigslist

So back 11 years ago I wanted a aquatube resivor badly in my first wc project then it was near impossible to get ahold of one in the states. It would be purely aesthetic seeing that I already have a d5/ek140 pump res combo.

My question would adding a aquatube res below the res/pump combo work? Would it affect the performance? it would fill up full and act just like a tube would it not?

I plan on having a 240 rad up front or in the bottom or on the right side of the case as the enthoos allow, a 360 up top with a CPU and gpu block in the loop.

If it'll work and not affect the loop ( not caring that it's necessary I want to spruce up the second window with one of these if purely only for nostalgia!
image-13.jpg

Got another package. Installed the aquatube resivor In the enthoos side panel. Purely aesthetic but in pretty stoked on it. Also recieved my second 240 radiator. So I'll have one at the bottom with the 200mm fan blowing cool air in then the fans sucking the air down and exhausting out the bottom. Then the top will have the big 240 rad sucking air out. Ordered all of my white bitspower fittings and my gtx 780 back plate. Also ordered some textured white carbon weeved vinyl to cover the psu cover and possibly the side panel up front

B53FBDDF-90A2-4FC1-BB20-BA445AB2CBDB.png

D17D38DD-DDB8-4CF9-92C6-18FAF5E99873.png

19BDD3F6-74D0-4D94-BA90-DEA8F5A9CBCD.png

FD1BB7A4-FC18-4933-B5E9-14FD80F9EE09.png

Looks like its coming along nicely. I like the Aqua reservoir mod you did to the side panel there as its visible through your window.

I will say, I would rearrange the airflow. I would do intakes on the front and bottom (assuming those areas are filtered as well) and use the back and top as exhaust. If the top is filtered too, change it to intake and just use the back as exhaust. You'll create the positive pressure needed on the filtered locations of your case and use the unfiltered back and possibly top to exhaust it all. Should leave your internals dust free for a long time.

First time with acrylic...really first time at all of this. thats a wrap for this evening. Im happy with it. may redo one or two pipes but overall they are pretty damn straight. I have a bits power on off valve and two male to male fittings for the bottom radiator so i can add a drain port.
D74ED0B6-C5B9-45B5-9E07-BB38039C1BAC.jpg
1A293C4A-C378-4753-B103-5E70F7C2AE56.jpg AA1550CA-BBA7-42D8-8E96-605CB132B31B.jpg D24AC602-434D-4258-9B1C-0B280741269C.jpg

Back