• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

o/cing bh-5 but..........

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pieros

Registered
Happy new year to all!
I am going to buy 2 x 512 Hyperx with bh-5 chips

but if u see in the pics here there is a difference in the voltage!
One has 2,5v and the other 2.6v!
My problem is that i can only buy that memory with 2,6v!
Will this bh-5 o/ced as well as the other with the 2.5 v?
Please reply only who is knows!

1st
06_3.JPG

2nd
kingston1.jpg

Thanks in advanced!

No human being can predict an overclock for you. Every stick is unique, so some will overclock more with less voltage and others will overclock less with more voltage. Only one way to find out.

The differance in voltage is just a general market trend to decrease RMA returns. Kingston increased it across the board on their products from 2.5V to 2.6V. Increased voltage allows for increased stability. Increased stock stablity leads to less RMA returns.

Speed_Mechanic2 said:
The differance in voltage is just a general market trend to decrease RMA returns. Kingston increased it across the board on their products from 2.5V to 2.6V. Increased voltage allows for increased stability. Increased stock stablity leads to less RMA returns.

This is correct which leads to there is no longer any guarantee that those markings(2.5v/2.6v) mean those are bh-5 chips, unless you got it in writing. I'd say there is a good chance one of those is ch-5.

Grandpa Dan i was told that all this chips are bh-5 because they have the stepping KHX3200 A01

hyperx 3200 non-a

I got KHX3200K2/1G and both say 2.6, and both have the .A01 stepping so sounds like I got bh-5 ram too?

Pieros said:
Grandpa Dan i was told that all this chips are bh-5 because they have the stepping KHX3200 A01

By whom? I've looked and I cannot find anything in writing that guarantees any of the hyper-x to be bh-5. Unless you get a vendor who can verify it in writing it may or may not be bh-5. I know that kingston is out of bh-5 so none of the stuff currently being produced has it.

This is from their website.
Kingston Technology reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to at any time make modifications, improvements or changes to the Products, or to discontinue the sale or disbtribution of any Product.

I havn't heard of a single confirmed, and confirmed is key :), situation where someone purchased KHX3200 (non-A - w/o A in product code) memory and not received Winbond BH-5 chips, or relabeled Winbond chips.

The voltage does not tell the tale, but the product code is still good to go by. Kingston HyperX PC3200 (and only PC3200) shipping without an "A" in the product code, and labeled for 2-2-2 timings, are shipping with Winbond BH-5 chips. All Kingston HyperX PC3000 is also shipping with Winbond BH-5 or relabeled Winbond chips, until otherwise confirmed not to be the case.

problems

I have the same ram thats in the attached image on 1st post, but having problems getting it to work at 200mhz, I tried 2.6 and 2.7 volts still problems, I have absolutly no problems at all with 1 stick of crucial 2700 and can even OC that 2700 well past 333, been as high as 370ddr with no errors, but cas 3 timings, when the KHX3200K2, even using only a single stick wont boot at 200mhz(400ddr), even with relaxed timings (2-3-2-6) it surely wont boot at 2-2-2-6 like it should, but will at 166(333ddr)mhz with 2-2-2-5 timings with 2.6 volts.

TIA

Last edited:
Speed_Mechanic2 said:
I havn't heard of a single confirmed, and confirmed is key :), situation where someone purchased KHX3200 (non-A - w/o A in product code) memory and not received Winbond BH-5 chips

I don't doubt this for a second. My point is more that Kingston does not guarantee them to be bh-5. Then I also refer back to this quote from their website.
Kingston Technology reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to at any time make modifications, improvements or changes to the Products, or to discontinue the sale or disbtribution of any Product.

I am 99% certain they have no more bh-5 in their production stock. Meaning the current run of memory does not use bh-5. I'm sure there is still product available that does have it, but it's gonna be hit and miss.

Here is kingstons reason if it doesn't work:
Resolution: The default SPD timings on the HyperX KHX3200/xxx modules are too aggressive for the motherboard. There are two possible resolutions:

For Expert System Users:

Enter the BIOS setup screen for your PC or motherboard and check whether you can change the memory timings. If you can change the memory timings, you need to change the following parameter:

RAS-to-CAS (also called RAS-to-CAS Delay or tRCD) to 3

If your BIOS setup does not allow you to change memory timings, then please use the solution below.

For Non-Expert Users:

Please use Kingston's KHX3200A/256 and KHX3200A/512 memory modules instead. Their timings are verified by Kingston engineers to be compatible with i865 or i875 motherboards.
Notice: All Kingston products are tested to meet our published specifications. Some motherboards or system configurations may not operate at the published HyperX memory speeds and timing settings. Kingston does not recommend that any user attempt to run their computers faster than the published speed. Overclocking or modifying your system timing may result in damage to computer components.

I'm calling BS on that...Too aggressive? Hah! There are numerous sticks of ram by various providers that do 2-2-2-5 with an 865 chipset. What they really mean is it will run at our given spec "sometimes".

Back