• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7990 news

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Probably a g-note like the 690 would be my guess.

6GB of RAM 'total', I wonder if they are adding the two cards together or if it will actually be a 'usable' 6GB of VRAM (usable in quotes because I can't imagine anything actually coming close)

So they are trying a different approach to power management, this will be interesting to watch.

It will need insane power, althoug a 1200W PSU surely will be fine to run this. Still... crazy stuff for crazy people.

The advantage? Dunno really, even a 7870 is enough of power for me, i can play any game i own at 1080P maxed and with sufficient FPS. I surely find it most important to decrease noise and heat.

Last edited:
There is just almost no software out for making it a true benefit. Hardware is to far ahead of its time.

Just to bad that picture quality, as soon as 1080P has been passed, mainly comes down to the quality of the screen, not to the amount of pixels. Thats my experience, but others may have different experiences, we probably didnt have the same software.

Of course, i dont say its useless and its "uses" is personal view. But i feel that the gain is marginally, and very dependable on software, thus, its a high price to pay for a few software out there.

Could you explain more in depth what you mean by "quality of the screen" please Ivy?

What if you use 3 high quality monitors?

There is not much LCDs able to provide high quality (according to my eyes and my mind, its not same for other people). At least not the small ones, with a few unknown exclusions. But i dont know any, as good as any LCD got some weakness which my eyes can see and they are unnatural at colors (white detail usualy good, but black detail is a mess). But depends on the game, i play EVEonline and a Plasma totaly owns at all those dark space... but i like almost any space game, so i have high benefit from black detail performance. My 2, actually 3 most favorite games is RPG, Strategy (such as CIV) and space shooters, thats where i need "true" performance.

We may in some future see some superior screens such as OLED/PLED and how they called. Currently, Plasma is the only screen im satisfied with. Laser TV is another option, but never been released in europe. I dont trust those computer baby monitors to much, its better to have one single screen with outstanding quality, than a lake of small ones with average quality.

Eyefinity might be fun, but when to close its impossible to see the whole screen at once. So the tech works by providing lot of unnecessary room which cant always be seen. Yes thats reality (no one can see entire reality) however, its not practical because i always need to have my character in viewing angle, else im gonna die. So a screen perfectly shaped to my viewing angle is more practical for gaming and movies, so i dont miss certain elements. A single screen can provide the perfect viewing angle. Of course, a character is always in viewing angle, but left and right side of me is kinda a underused space with elements i dont actually have gaming benefit from, its just some enhanced area with stuff i rarely see. Eyefinity is fun, never told different, but its not to practical i feel. If i go eyefinity, i would try to attach several huge TV to each others.. but thats just not realistic because to expensive (im not "rich" at money, but prehaps rich at brainpower :))

What will change in the future for me? I will use some sort of OLED (probably up to 60-100 inch size) with 4k resolution for gaming, thats the advancement we will meet someday in future. Currently im satisfied the most with a single 42-60 inch 1080P Plasma screen.

Last edited:
I dont get that statement either manu...

I suggest, Ivy, to look at some reviews of the 6990 and 690 and see those results vs a single card at multi monitor resolutions. Clearly this card isnt made for you, however, its quite obvious to see who this is made for.

OK, even if I don't agree with you on some (distance is adjustable, and so the viewing angle), it's a fair point of view.

I dont get that statement either manu...

I suggest, Ivy, to look at some reviews of the 6990 and 690 and see those results vs a single card at multi monitor resolutions. Clearly this card isnt made for you, however, its quite obvious to see who this is made for.

I think Ivy is meaning he prefers playing on a very high end monitor instead of a multi screens setup, and can't find the quality he is looking for.

27" IPS panel (Catleap, Yamakasi, see thread!)... Looks incredible. FAR better than TN panel. 3 of these would require a 690/7990 AND look great.

OK, even if I don't agree with you on some (distance is adjustable, and so the viewing angle), it's a fair point of view.

Your eyes is not 3:1 or 4:1, its more like 2:1. So it makes no sense to attach 3 screen sidewards, unless you gonna have a 6 screen setup, but its just way to pricy.

I studied that stuff for way to long, so i know the deal of whats practical and useful and what simply not. I dont say that anyone have to "follow" but i can express why i do think that way... doesnt hurt. The perfect resolution according to my view is 4k2k. 1080P is a transistory-technology because we arnt able to jump to 4k as a new standart nowadays. 720P was the joke of the world for TV/Console entertainment but has been outdated far to quick, for good reason.

PC monitors usualy are a own standart with way to many different standarts but its rather pointless to have so many standarts.

At the same time, people should pay more attention to what a sound device is capable of. Most got inferior products barely able to properly taking over the ringing of a phone. A good audio device is just as important for great experience and good hearing. That device need to focus the waves to the user, everything have to be perfectly shaped to the user and room. That stuff is not something to play around with, its mesurable and adjustable and its either perfect or inferior for practical uses and measurable performance. I would never call a PC HTPC of THX quality if i didnt implement those natural physics.

Last edited:
@ ED / manu

Some screens can look a little washed out if they are not running at there native resolution :)

Back