• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

K.I.S.S. - hassle free mining tips.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xsuperbgx

Benching Team Leader
While mining profits can be greatly increased by constant switching and by constant oversight, I have decided that I have too many other obligations to constantly watch over my rigs. I am working to get my rigs as hassle free as possible to reduce the time needed for maintenance and coin switching as well as mininmize downtime. Also, I am planning on moving my dedicated miners to a more remote location as soon as the weather warms up, but I need to make sure that I can handle any problems remotely before I move them out.

Cgwatcher and Cgremote have been very helpful for this, so far. I have used cgwatcher to restart miners if production slows or stops and used cgremote for easy monitoring of machines.

I have used team viewer so that I can easily change settings, miners or config files. It is very easy to copy/paste files or text between files and different computers.

My main issue is how to restart a rig that is hung up at restart or has locked up in windows and can't be restarted with cgremote or with teamviewer. Any tips for that would be helpful.

I am hoping to look into cgremote and cgwatcher a little more in depth. It seems that there are many components of them that I do not use. I want to set them up so that I can easily switch between hash algorithms and coins easily, so that a couple mouse clicks is all that it takes to swap.

Post your tips for hassle free mining.

Use Arduino to have a network attached device that hooks up to the reset switch of the computer? If you've gotta do a hard reset then you need some other device to reset the computer, preferably network attached.

The functionality you are looking for is either remote reset mentioned above or a hardware watchdog timer. Basically a device that expects to get a signal every so often and if it doesn't get it reboots whatever its attached to. This google search has examples of what I'm talking about.

The functionality you are looking for is either remote reset mentioned above or a hardware watchdog timer. Basically a device that expects to get a signal every so often and if it doesn't get it reboots whatever its attached to. This google search has examples of what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the replies guys. I do see a usb watchdog at ebay for less than $20, it seems like you need one for each computer. Perhaps it could be configured to watch your api output of cgminer for activity.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-WATCHDOG-PC-RESET-BERKSHIRE-/121273410651

I might pick one up. I am also looking into making something with a ras pi.

STONITH
was also looking into APCs that had remote reset/power on abilities.

as for cgwatcher/remote, if you have the latest version, it shows that the global profile manager is not yet available, but probably soon. That will help a lot for people with multi-rigs.
what i do is keep like 5 profiles in each cgwatcher, so i can easily click to switch the miner to a different coin. example: vertcoin got profitable again, all i did was click my vertcoin profile in cgremote for all my miners and they switched.

Last edited:
STONITH

We were having a problem at my work with a machine locking up semi-regularly. We got a power strip that plugged into our network and could be set to ping an IP address and if it got no response it would power cycle the outlet for that machine. It worked great until we replaced that machine.

Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/NP-02-Switcha...d_sim_e_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=05H31G0WN50R6W2KJNAZ

Though with a little shopping I think you can find less expensive. We paid like $80 for our version.

I am guessing that my one rig that was having problems has some instability somewhere. I decided to put it on the workbench and hook up a monitor to see why it is crashing, but now it seems to be working ok. Perhaps needs more fans...

STONITH

as for cgwatcher/remote, if you have the latest version, it shows that the global profile manager is not yet available, but probably soon. That will help a lot for people with multi-rigs.
what i do is keep like 5 profiles in each cgwatcher, so i can easily click to switch the miner to a different coin. example: vertcoin got profitable again, all i did was click my vertcoin profile in cgremote for all my miners and they switched.

Thanks, it seems that the developer has some good ideas and seems active at development. I have added a second profile to cgwatcher and it is easy to swap profiles. I think I will work on getting a vertcoin and a litecoin profiles added too.

Thanks, it seems that the developer has some good ideas and seems active at development. I have added a second profile to cgwatcher and it is easy to swap profiles. I think I will work on getting a vertcoin and a litecoin profiles added too.

yeah, they are really really helpful, i actually was thinking of testing out the profitability switcher part of cgwatcher as well.

would setting wake by rtc in the board bios reboot it, or is that to wake it from sleep?

Back