• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD Checkdisk

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Marshmallow64

So I had my OCZ Vertex for about 2 months now, and just more recently 3 out of the 4 times I power on my computer, my windows would do the checkdisk on my SSD before loading windows. The one where it checks clusters on the dos like menu.

I am wondering what is going on and if this is bad.

EDIT: I have 1.3 firmware and I plan to flash it to 1.41 soon. I think it started happening once there was a windows 7 update but I am unsure.

Last edited:
Well thats not a good sign. I haven't seen a checkdisk in ages. Do you see if it recovers files when its running it?

It always test as ok. I plan on updating the firmware tongiht to see if it fixes the problem, unless its another issue at hand.

Normally when an unscheduled check disk (chkdsk.exe) is run it is done by the file or disk management. Most of the time it is because a file or set of files are not closing properly when the shud down command is run.

Have you checked you logs to see if there are are any system or hardware errors?

If not then schedule a chkdsk for the next startup and then restart the computer. See if that helps.

As for the update on the firmware I think I would hold off on doing the update unless you are having the specific problem the firmware update addresses and fixes.

Updating firmware just because there is an update isn't recommened by most manufactures.

I have had seven SSD's installed for over a year and a half now and have not had this type of problem. The Team SSD was a failure out of the box, different story.

HTH...

It always test as ok. I plan on updating the firmware tongiht to see if it fixes the problem, unless its another issue at hand.
The 1.41 has the more aggressive GC right? I also believe that firmware update is data destructive (FYI). But I would move to it as well.

Im hearing the GC at this time, is a bit better than TRIM according to Tony...

To my knowledge everything shuts down properly. I will try to run a scheduled chkdisk next time. I have, however, been getting a virus warning from Avira when I open my steam game client sometimes, its kinda weird but I wonder if it has something to do with it.

1.4 has GC while 1.3 you have to rely on TRIM. If it is data destructive that might be risky... =(

At the risk of being told to create a new thread, I want to point out that I'm having the same problem, but with an Intel X25-M. So if you figure it out, I'd love to know the solution :)

It's one of the new 34nm drives, and I did NOT update the firmware.

Did you start just experiencing it recently like the beginning of this week? For me it just started this week like on Monday.

Yesterday I powered on my computer and it was fine. I usally come back from work, power on my computer and leave it on till I sleep, so I only power on once a day.

I believe in if it isn't broken don't fix it ;)

FW1.3 is GC also 1.41 is just more agressive & yes 1.4 is trim ..1.4 & 1.41 is nondistructive (you keep your data) that said

I have seen corruption more than a few times now from steam games esp with auto save on , don't know why yet it's fairly new problem but thisonly happens with steam games so far ....

Personally I am still using FW 1.3 ;)

I have the same usage pattern: power on once per day, after returning from work. Actually this happened since the beginning for me; I saw checkdisk go by the second time I booted the computer with the new SSD (clean install, not even any applications yet). It doesn't happen as often as yours, but it happens often enough that I'm concerned about it.

I have the HDD power-down thing set to "Never"

Same. I never let my HDD's spin down. I might start doing that since I only data that I have on the HDD's that I have (which I power on myself) is only used at certain times unless I forget to power it off when I finished using them. Raid expecially it could become an issue that I never wanted to risk it with my drives.

I believe in if it isn't broken don't fix it ;)

FW1.3 is GC also 1.41 is just more agressive & yes 1.4 is trim ..1.4 & 1.41 is nondistructive (you keep your data) that said

I have seen corruption more than a few times now from steam games esp with auto save on , don't know why yet it's fairly new problem but thisonly happens with steam games so far ....

Personally I am still using FW 1.3 ;)

guess I'm sticking with 1.3 !:thup:

I want to point out that I'm having the same problem, but with an Intel X25-M. So if you figure it out, I'd love to know the solution :)

It's one of the new 34nm drives, and I did NOT update the firmware.

I just installed my new X25-M this weekend and I'm having the same issue. I thought it might be a prob w/ windows vista, so I installed windows 7 with no luck. Im just useing my SSD as a storage drive with games, music and pictures.

Now I'm wondering if its best just to return it :shrug:

Ugh, I am still getting the same problems, now its like happening on every restart, power up.......Maybe a reformat might help.

Back