• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX285 SLI or new single card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gsrcrxsi

So I've got the upgrade bug. I really don't NEED to as my setup works fine for now, but I'd like to explore my options. I use my computer for gaming and video conversions (DVD ripping, etc).

Basic specs (also in sig)
i7-920 @ 4.1GHz w/ HT
GTX285 flashed to FTW speeds
6GB ram
1000w antec PSU

Now I'm debating on throwing in a second GTX285 or going with a new single card. Really, I just don't know how any of the new cards compare to a GTX285 or GTX285 SLI setup. Another 285 would run me probably about 200.

I also have to consider my water loop. Right now my 285 and i7 are in a single loop with a 3x120 and 2x120 rad in series. Temps are good now, but adding a second 285 would pretty much force me to split the loops up into GPU and CPU loops, and probably upgrade the 2x120 to a 3x120 for the GPU loop. And again I don't know how much heat these new cards put out compared to a 285 or 285 SLI.

So what would you do? Go with 285 SLI or new card? Which new card?

I would go with a single better card. Im not a big fan of SLI/Crossfire though. Thing is, it will be more expensive to upgrade to a new card especially if you are going to put it under water.

Well what card is a worthwhile upgrade from the 285? How do the 460 470 480 compare to a 285 (remember I'm at FTW clocks). How do the heat loads compare?

I went from a 285 to a 470. I would check out the review I wrote for details, but basically its a noteable upgrade. I can run higher settings (more AA) and get better FPS across all games.

The 470 is going to put out more heat, no doubt. When it was in my loop in my signature, It never broke 46C though.

Yeah I'm not too concerned about the temp of the card. More it's influence on the loop temp and hence CPU temps. Think a 2x120 could handle a 470?

Now I know you don't personally like SLI, but how would performance compare between 470 and 285SLI? Heat?

I think 285 SLI will beat out a 470, but the heatload would be more with 2 285's vs single 470.

I have a PA120.2 for my second radiator and like I mentioned it keeps the temps to 46C. I would imagine with a 'normal' 120.2 sized radiator, those temps would be up a couple C.

Yeah and that's acceptable to have a vid card in the 40's-50's. Just don't want it to not be enough and have runaway temps.

Thanks for the info earthdog, anyone else want to put their .02 in?

Here is a Temp chart to give you an idea of the difference between them. I know its air temps but it will give you an idea of how much more hot the Fermi cards are than your current GTX 285.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2977/...x-470-6-months-late-was-it-worth-the-wait-/19
I could not see myself paying $200 for another GTX 285 when there are so many options from both AMD and Nvidia especially when the AMD 6970 and 50 and GTX 570 and 60 are right around the corner.

Last edited:
yea i was looking a prices of a 470 and its nearly in the 250 range. i think ill probably go that route. or wait for 570 if its not too much more (maybe 300 range?) i think it would probably be cheaper than a 285 SLI too after selling the 285+WB. thoughts on the 475? not seeing much info on it.

its crazy, i was looking at the price difference between 480 and 470, and i cant imagine why anyone would get the 480. its nearly 200 dollars more and only has like 32 more cores and a few more MHz on the clocks.

The 570 will probably run around $350 like the 470 was at its luanch :) $150 less than the 580. I went with the 480s because i had the budget for it. When you look at the charts, its an acceptible upgrade from the 470 as well IMO.

That's an age old question, new single powerful card, or SLI\Crossfire the last gens best. Both give good performance, but like ED, I'm not a fan of messing around with multi GPU setups.

Sell your current GTX 285 and splurge on a 6870 or a GTX 470, or GTX 460 1gb SLI. I would really suggest the 6870 over the GTX 470 as it uses 75 watts less power, runs cooler, faster and cheaper. Unless if you are a Nvidia fan boy who can't switch manufacturers than a GTX 470 would be a nice upgrade. GTX 285 has 240 cores at 650mhz while a GTX 470 has 448 cores at 607mhz with whole new architecture. Getting another GTX 285 would be around a GTX 480 performance wise but using 400watts + being even more power hungry than a GTX 480, can you imagine? Crossfire 6870's perform as good as CF 5870's for only $500 so I would really recommend that setup or a GTX 580 if you can afford. What's your price range?

My 285 is actually clocked at 720MHz core speed (FTW clocks).

I'm not 100% against ATI, I've just always had better luck/performance from nvidia cards and their drivers. So I tend to stick with them.

What is FTW ? I can't even get the answer from google!

I'm running 2 GTX 280's by the way and the performance in games like Metro and Crysis for example are very very playable... one card... just playable. In other less intensive games like Dirt 2 or whatever I easily max out my 1920 x 1200 LCD monitor with the SLI... even when I max out the AA at 16, etc..

But if I thought someone would pay me $400 for my two cards... I'd do it in a heartbeat and just go buy a GTX 580 and only be out $150 total. Then I'd be set for a couple of years with DX11... and down the road pick up another GTX 580 and SLI maybe.

Of course I can't lie... I would buy a third GTX 280 if the price was right... $150 or so but that's the tops.

But what should YOU do? You have $$$ invested in the card and the water block. If you do pick up another 285 (from where?) just run the second one on air and back off your OC on the watered one some... it will still perform way better than your 720 one card setup. You should be able to get mid to high 600's on an air cooled card no problem... especially since the fan will not be restricted below.

Well I thought it might be talking about that but it still didn't make sense to me... what the heck does that saying have to do with OC settings.

Is it like when you reach the max OC your capable of you've now crushed the world for the win or something? Like your a monster or somethin??? LOL.

i don't get it.

Still 720 is a nice clock no doubt on that card.

i didnt overclock anything to be honest lol. i bought the card from ebay, pre-flashed to FTW speeds. i bought the waterblock from the same seller.

but you are right. this is a standard edition EVGA card, that is flashed with the FTW bios essentially.

i think when the time comes, i will sell this card and WB as a combo and just buy a new card + WB. ill keep my eye on the 6870 and the 470.

I really like the 6870's massive performance for the $, i just wish stanford had a gpu client that could really utilize the shaders like they do for nvidia, folding tends to make you stick to nvidia :(

Back