• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build your own printer cable LCD Display

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
As you can see i have re-written the guide with my own words so tats how to do it in my own words and the way i did it and got it to work lol ENJOY!!!:D

Now OCAU cant complain im nicking there or even linking t there as this is all my own work.

Phil

Nice guide :D Couple minor issues... ANY LCD display using the HD44780 controller will work. Also, when the LCD is wired correctly, you get a solid line on line 1 if it's a 2 line display, or on lines 1 & 3 on a 4 line display. I personnally own a SEIKO 4x20 Character LCD. Also, please point out the red wire is +5v and the black "middle" wires are the grounds. YOU WILL KILL YOUR LCD IF YOU GIVE IT 12 VOLTS OF JUICE!!!!! So check with a multi-meter and verify the red wire is indeed 5 volts. I have had a molex connector where the +5v and +12v wires were reversed.

::edit:: Just noticed something odd. I wired my LCD in a different fashion than you, and it works. Wierd.

Mr.Guvernment said:
any one have any pics of one of their in use? :D
Nope... Mine died a few days ago due to my dog thinking it was a chew toy. No bite marks though, guess he felt the 1500+ volts the EL inverter dishes out...

OK so I've been reading guides on how do do this. But I'm still a little confused on what is nessecery. I have a 4x20 Backlit LCD. I don't need to be able to adjust my contrast of the level of the backlight. So what do I need to wire? The guides always explain how to wire it for making adjustments.

follow the one tha makes the most sense. I know mine works and i think it is simple to follow, btu at the end of teh day there is lots of ways to do it.

Phil

I just need to know one thing before I begin. As long as I wire the power cables correctly do you think there is any chance of blowing the LCD?

ClarkKent said:
OK so I've been reading guides on how do do this. But I'm still a little confused on what is nessecery. I have a 4x20 Backlit LCD. I don't need to be able to adjust my contrast of the level of the backlight. So what do I need to wire? The guides always explain how to wire it for making adjustments.
Wire pins 1 & 3 together.

ClarkKent said:
I just need to know one thing before I begin. As long as I wire the power cables correctly do you think there is any chance of blowing the LCD?
Not the LCD, but possibly your parrallel port... So test on an old computer. Also, double check your wiring with a multi-meter set. I screwed up like 50 million times before I finally learned how to read the schematic... (never killed my parrallel port or LCD either :D)

OK so I've did some asking aorund and have been practicing my soddering and I'm doing much better now. Just had some questions about the 10k ohm and the 100 ohm pots. Does it matter which way they are soddered? In the schematics I've seen it just shows lines and doesn't explain if there is a right or wrong way. Any help would be great. I should be finished very shortly after I figure out this info. I'll even have some great pcis to post of the process.

ClarkKent said:
OK so I've did some asking aorund and have been practicing my soddering and I'm doing much better now. Just had some questions about the 10k ohm and the 100 ohm pots. Does it matter which way they are soddered? In the schematics I've seen it just shows lines and doesn't explain if there is a right or wrong way. Any help would be great. I should be finished very shortly after I figure out this info. I'll even have some great pcis to post of the process.
I believe it DOES matter which way they are soldered, but I can't tell which way is which :( I just used a wire across pins 1 & 3 to set the Contrast to 100% and my backlight was on a seperate controller.

Well since you think it matters I'm going to have to some more looking around and maybe join another forum to see what I should do. If anyone else has some input it would be nice. TIA.

heres a question that i cannot answer but im sure some else can, can i use a parralel to serial converter plug then it woill work with a serial connection??

Phil

PHILIP1193 said:
heres a question that i cannot answer but im sure some else can, can i use a parralel to serial converter plug then it woill work with a serial connection??

Phil
I dunno... They have those serial backpack things though, but they're a little expensive ($45).

I have used an LCD hooked up like this before and it worked great. I didn't want to take the time to hack up my case to put it in, though, so I'm not using it anymore. Those of you who have access to the Classifieds ought to check there. Occasionally LCDs can be found there.

Ken

Last edited:
Back