• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i3-530 or i5 750?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I5's wall is around 4Ghz on air. More on water. I haven't discovered the I3's wall yet. Clocked great up to 4.8Ghz where i pussed out till i get on water :)

Either way you go your gonna have a very fast CPU! Since you asked I'd save the money and get the i3!

alright well i already bought my mobo when it was on sale, msi gd65, my original plan was a i5 750 oc'ed to around 3.5 on air. im not doing any rendering just gaming.
since you can get to 4ghz on an i3 easily would you go with that or an i5 @ 3.5?

im not trying to o;c the hell outta anything and have the cpu for a few less years just a solid middle o'c that wont really effect the life of the cpu

So for the revised question, would i notice a difference that is worth 70$ with a quad or save the $ and go with dual?

alright well i already bought my mobo when it was on sale, msi gd65, my original plan was a i5 750 oc'ed to around 3.5 on air. im not doing any rendering just gaming.
since you can get to 4ghz on an i3 easily would you go with that or an i5 @ 3.5?

im not trying to o;c the hell outta anything and have the cpu for a few less years just a solid middle o'c that wont really effect the life of the cpu

So for the revised question, would i notice a difference that is worth 70$ with a quad or save the $ and go with dual?

Depends on the person. I love playing with new tech which is why i went with the clarkdale's. The 750 is better but the 530 is only 124 dollars

I'm right there with the rest of you computer junkies, I just can't say "no". I do know that I'll never go back to dual core cpu again.

I'm right there with the rest of you computer junkies, I just can't say "no". I do know that I'll never go back to dual core cpu again.

At 4.6 it doesn't even feel like a dual core. It feels like my hard drive is the limiting factor now.

Yeah for gaming your really don't NEED 4 cores, but it can be beneficial! If you have the cash go for it and get the 750, if not the i3 will do a outstanding job for you.

You won't be disappointed either way :)

Yeah for gaming your really don't NEED 4 cores, but it can be beneficial! If you have the cash go for it and get the 750, if not the i3 will do a outstanding job for you.

You won't be disappointed either way :)

Brutal-Force Supports this message.

I have to agree with what has been mentioned, for you purposes an I3 is great but the I5 is awesome as well, nothing like opening up the task manager and seeing those 4 processor cores and knowing that you actually have 4 physical cores instead of 2 physical and 2 magical cores. But then again I have a soft spot for new tech so the 32nm duallies look apetizing even though I already got an 750. Not to mention when im not gaming my rig crunches rosetta 24/7 as long as there is power and work to be sent out.

**** the 750. You'll never get one this high on AIR. She boots with 5Ghz @ 1.45v but i'm just too much of a puss to go higher. Water setup will be arriving tomorrow. :) 5.1? 5.2? :)

48.jpg

If your going to buy the I3. Make sure to buy a good board. EVGA P55 is a really great board or you could spring for the FTW

Next question... Is it **** The World or For The Win? Maybe **** The WIn? ;)

But unless you use a lot of hyperthreading ready apps, an i3 or i5 6xx at 5GHz won't measure up to a 4GHz i5 750

Not counting seti@home, I can only count 3 apps I use that could use hyperthreading, and video editing is maybe 5 hours a month. Most of the rest won't be able to take advantage of hyperthreading but they can make better use of 4 physical core of 750

Back