• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win98 Logon to Win2k Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
I heard someone earlier talking about allowing Windows 9x machines to log into Windows 2000 Professional boxes.

However, I can't remember who it was, nor was I able to find it in the forums search.

Basically, I want my windows 98 box to authenticate it's logons to my win2k pro box. (if possible). I already have it borrowing the user list from the 2k box for it's network shares.

I have tried setting up the win98 to log on via the win2k box by typing in the win2k computer's name in the domain box at login, but that didn't work.

This is a "see if I can do it" thing.. any help is appreciated :)

The following MSKB article might be of some help to you su root...

Configuring Windows 2000 Professional to Work in a Peer-to-Peer Workgroup

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q258717

You'll need to create a user account on the 2000 computer that Exactly matches the user account on the 98 computer. If you log onto the 98 computer as "Tom", and your password is "Windows", then create the account on the 2000 computer with exactly the same username - "Tom" and the same password - "Windows". ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply...

I already have them both talking to eachother, they can trade files and the like, however, I want the windows 2000 computer to be a "stand-in domain controller" that the windows 98 computer can log on to (on boot, and when logged off).

However, Windows 2000 Pro cannot be a domain controller. I was wondering if I could get the windows 98 computer to authenticate it's logons with the Windows 2000 Professional computer.

Back