• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help chosing a monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
should i get a 1920x1080 resolution monitor? i was looking at this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...+-+LCD+Flat+Panel-_-LG+ELECTRONICS-_-24005134

or should i get one with a 16:10 resolution? i heard more games support resolutions with that ratio.

If you dont mind the screwy viewing angles and anaemic color pallette FLATRON TN's make exceptional gaming monitors-- especially when the ultra contrast mode is engaged.

As per 1920x1080... games support whatever you want them to. If they don't edit the ini file for 2 seconds.

The one thing that may screw you around is a change in field of view associated with resolution change. Some games screw you on that-- ie WoW gives a poor field of view at 16 9 vs 10

so u do recomend a 16:10 over 9?

Nope.
I'd recommend a 16:9

-Most DVD's are 16:9 as are most current TV shows if you want to watch TV on it.

-If you ever hook a game console up to it (assuming the monitor has HDMI) you want 16:9. Those monitors usually have an audio out for speakers or headphones using a 3.5mm jack just like your computer.

-Same as above goes for hooking up a BLU-RAY player or watching HDTV from a cable/satellite box.

-Any game will do 16:9-- is it optimized for it? Maybe. But it'll do it.

Last edited:
do i need to wory about hz when looking at monitors?

You sound like someone who really cares about your visual experience. You might want to look into what different panel types are available-- not just the backlight.

There are several types of LCD display including TN, IPS, and PVA. The result to the user is better or worse color accuracy, viewing angles, response time, etc. TN monitors have the lowest response times but poor viewing angles (things become discolored or grey if you're not infront of the screen), and typically a lower color range. IPS screens have a higher response time, which isn't a great thing in itself, but they do offer superior viewing angles, a wider color range, and typically better color accuracy. PVA displays are sort of in the middle.

thank you, but is 60 hz good? how many fps can that do? im just learning about screens and i dont really know alot about them.
and i am someone who really cares about my visual experience:)

Last edited:
thank you, but is 60 hz good? how many fps can that do? im just learning about screens and i dont really know alot about them.
and i am someone who really cares about my visual experience:)

You don't need more unless you want to do 3d gaming. Then you want a 120Hz monitor. That uses dual 60Hz engines.

Apparently some LCD's will do 75Hz. Since it's a static image after another static image, sort of like the X264 codec, the refresh doesn't cause eye strain, unlike CRT's which used a sort of top to bottom 'scan' of the image.

actually in some games, 16:9 provides a wider field of view compared to 16:10 where the edges are cropped. some games are the same either way though.

i would like a really high contrast ratio like lg's that are in the millions, above 20", and my budget is around $300. dvi connection.

Last edited:
Back