• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rebuild for BC2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mathersalan

My current build, is in my sig. But I am running a 7900gtx not a 8800gtx no more. I was looking into upgrading the vid card, but I am unsure about the support for my motherboard to use PCI-E 2.0 or 2.1 video cards. Who here has the P5B-Deluxe standard PCI-E 16x motherboard running a Geforce 260 or 275 and higher?

I'm not sure if I should build a new setup with a quad core, or save the money and get a newer video card and 2 more gigs of ram. I don't know how well the C2D E6600 will run on Battlefield Bad Company 2. Any ideas?

For 64bit OS like windows 7 or vista 4gb is needed but is also more than enuff for 99% of games even at high res. Performance is also MUCH snappier in w7 and vista with 4gb.

BC2 is one of the few games that benefits from quad cores. It also scaled nicely with OC.

If your only going to go for a SINGLE solution graphics card wise get a 5850. Ati is awesome at BC2 with 1 card and I played it happily at 1920x1200 with 2xAA 16xAF dx11 hbao and blur off everything else max. 4xAA was also playable but i have a quad at 4.0 also and that helps out alot fps wise.

If down the road you want more than 1 card go nvidia, as much as I prefer 5800's or gtx 400 series for dual cards sli is better in bc2 than crossfire, too many quirks. if I wanted only 1 card though I would go 5850.

I would start with 4gb of ram and try to grab a 5850. Depending on the resolution you play at you may be happy. If not you could always sell your rig and grab a i5 750/p55/4gb ddr3 1600 and you'd be set performance wise.

Bad Company 2 does indeed use a lot of computations and takes use of quadcores. However you don't need a beefy card to run it quite nicely. I run at 5770 on it and it works totally fine, I run x2 AA not x4 as I rarely see a difference other than I'm now lagging. I've heard some people throwing in an ATI for graphics, and a nvidia card to do their PhyX. BC2 has lots of physics thanks to their explosive...everything!

Don't do what I did when Crysis came out.. I bought a whole new machine because I figured games were all going to be that level of HELL on your computer. I beat it in a weekend, then went back to steam games, oh the shame of it all!

4GB of ram is very <standard> in my opinion. Everyone should have it unless your only going to be using Office and web browsing, anything more would be for more extreme users but given your only DDR2 its quite cheap! I had 8GB in my Q6600 system.

You have the same Heatsink, the same Mobo, same audio card, I had an E6600 before my Q6600.. and your videocard only differs as I had a 9800 GTX

Awesome =)

Last edited:
Right now I am currently running Windows 7 enterprice edition 64bit...

Will the PCI-E 2.0 cards work with my motherboard? It's a standard pci-e 16x..Asus P5B-Deluxe.. I've googled but some say it may need to be flashed.

And yeah, back in 2007 I got stupid and spent all that money on my current build, andquit gaming a few months later after buying Crysis...

Shame on me...should have waited..

PCIe 2.0 cards will work with PCIe1.1, it is backwards compatible. You should not have to flash your bios for support, That doesnt make any sense to me.

What you need to do is get yourself a quad core, get a better GPU, and NOT get a 680i based board like you have listed in your signature (P45 or bust if that is the route you are going) and you will be fine to play BFBC2.

I played Bad Company 2 on a Dual Core E8500 3.2ghz, 4 GB of DDR2 ram, a 9800GT, at a mix of medium and high settings, and rarely experienced a slow down.:attn:

I guess the best method is go buy yourself a new card. Slap that baby in, if it's playable.. WOO! if its not. Well you still have the card for your new build =) And as much as I was an nvidia fan, I love my 5770's and ATI is doing very well in the GPU department right now. I've never been truely biased, I'll flop around whoever has the best price/performance.

+1 just get your self a 5850 and see if you like it, I know you will be happy, if your not happy there is no loss, just upgrade the CPU.:)

get another 2G of ram, then spend as much as possible on a GPU. 5850, GTX470, GTX465 or even the new GTX460 next month should be a wicked buy.

-D

get another 2G of ram, then spend as much as possible on a GPU. 5850,

Agreed! Although as much as possible is $320 usually (5850). I never go for the highest of the highend merely because its so expensive just because its new, not because its $1 for $1 more perfromance >.<

There are still two cards 'above' a 5850 in ATI land so that isnt the 'highest of the highend'. The 5850 is probably the best bang for you buck card available really.

Yeah the information on my sig is like 2 1/2 years old. I'm looking around the classys for a decent Q-core...
Sooo update it! :fight: :bday:

Heh, I got deja vu from this post of yours...^^

Thats not close to being the highest of the higend (do you have deja vu).

Yeah i posted before, and it said it didnt work. I had to wait 30seconds.. so I did.. I guess I posted twice then >.>. I wasn't saying the 5850 was the highest/highend. I ment that in my experience buying the $700 cards is a big waste of money. Theres other cards that are less than half the cost that also run any game. Not to mention when you crossfire you basically slapped them in the face!

Looks like I'm going into the ATI video card, and 2 more gigs of ram of course, can't have memory lag :thup:

I believe my old E6600 will be able to run BC2 pretty well, I can remember BF2 coming out when I was running a single core Athlon 2400+, 1gb pc3200 ram, and a 6600GT, it played BF2 alright, medium/high/shadows off 2x aa, 1024x768 screen res it was more of FPS lag than anything else :fight:

Since the new generation video cards will be able to run with my motherboard, than I'm going for the video card upgrade and eventually a new setup:santa2:

Back