• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quake 4 Still Popular?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Herr Rogers

I'm thinking about buying Quake4 for the days that I get bored of wow, but am curious if the game is still popular. Do any of you play Quake 4 that can say that there is a fair amount of servers with a fair amount of players at any given time of the day?

what do u mean by " is still popular?" dude I play games like from the stone age A.K.A. Soldat, and there is still a lot of players and servers on that.

I play quake 4 every once in a while, and yes there are still servers with many players on them.

You can find servers to play in, but where q4 really thrives is competitive play. I'd say out of like 150-200 servers there, about 30-40 have people in them. Pretty close to half of that is 1 on 1 type of stuff. There's normally populated deathmatch servers- I've never NOT been able to find one with more than like 4 or 5 people in them. The deathmatch is still good fast paced fun though! If you get it we should try to play together sometime :D

I might get it. Looks like it has a very steep learning curve. Everyone memorizes where the portals and stuff go and they prefire like every corner. That would have me screaming hax in no time!

A friend of mine just gave me his copy seeing as how he finished it a few weeks ago.
So far I like it better than Doom3, but I doubt I'll be doing any multiplayer with it seeing as how I don't know if he created an account with this CD key or not.
I'm more interested in the singleplayer aspect anyway :)

At Summerfest, Intel and Quake combined to hold a deathmatch all Day every day with a several tournaments as well. I got second place in one so I won a free T-shirt. i had never even played Quake before but my expirence carried over from Unreal :D

i thought the SP game was great! but went online and lagged out straight away. my system couldnt handle it. never tried it with my new system. if loads of ya are planning an OCF meet up, ill reinstall it.

Come now RDX we dont need to bash every game we dont like -_- one liner "this is crap" posts dont help discussions much. How about being more creative, like: I didnt like quake becuase of blah blah, i liked/disliked the older ones and they didnt change enough bleh bleh blah blah i have nostalgia for the old quakes, Q4 didnt deliver, etc. I thought mods were supposed to know this kind of stuff.

Anyway, I thought Q4 was decent, I finished the single player which is saying a lot, but i've already done the whole MP side by playing Q3 almost nonstop for a while when it was still big so i never got into that aspect.

twoeyes said:
Come now RDX we dont need to bash every game we dont like -_- one liner "this is crap" posts dont help discussions much. How about being more creative, like: I didnt like quake becuase of blah blah, i liked/disliked the older ones and they didnt change enough bleh bleh blah blah i have nostalgia for the old quakes, Q4 didnt deliver, etc. I thought mods were supposed to know this kind of stuff.

Anyway, I thought Q4 was decent, I finished the single player which is saying a lot, but i've already done the whole MP side by playing Q3 almost nonstop for a while when it was still big so i never got into that aspect.

What more do I need to say, I started playing the game and it was to buggy and story was horrible. It's a Doom3 with different enemies and weapons and same old boring linear game. I liked Doom3 when it came out because it was something new at it's time, but after you play it one time through it would take an Army to force me to play it again. That's just what Quake4 seemed to me. I didn't bother with MP cause I don't like run/gun shooters.

RedDragonXXX said:
What more do I need to say, I started playing the game and it was to buggy and story was horrible. It's a Doom3 with different enemies and weapons and same old boring linear game. I liked Doom3 when it came out because it was something new at it's time, but after you play it one time through it would take an Army to force me to play it again. That's just what Quake4 seemed to me. I didn't bother with MP cause I don't like run/gun shooters.

See now wasn't that a good use of your time? :beer:

I never got into Doom 3 so maybe thats why i enjoyed it (never even finished it), I thought Q4 was what doom 3 SHOULD have been, it had some totally awesome scenes such as when you're on the conveyor belt being disassembled by the Strogg, and it had some hints of other people, as in the type not trying to kill you throughout the whole game, which made for a more fun experience overall imo.

Back