• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer doesn't start right

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nyforever

Registered
My computer (after installing this liquid cooling kit) doesn't start up right.

It doesn't leak, and the waterblock is good enough to put the temp down to ~60 degrees C.

When you push the power button, everything starts up. However, before it even goes to the <insert name of that screen that's all black and has white lettering> it shuts off. I push it again, and does the same thing. I have to push the button 3 times until it finally starts right and says "Running Fail-Safe". It tells me to go to BIOS and change settings. So I did. I turn off my computer, turn it again.

Same thing happens.

However, the PC doesn't randomly restart or anything like that when sucessfully loading into Windows. So this means it's not the PSU.

What can it be?

nyforever said:
My computer (after installing this liquid cooling kit) doesn't start up right.

It doesn't leak, and the waterblock is good enough to put the temp down to ~60 degrees C.

When you push the power button, everything starts up. However, before it even goes to the <insert name of that screen that's all black and has white lettering> it shuts off. I push it again, and does the same thing. I have to push the button 3 times until it finally starts right and says "Running Fail-Safe". It tells me to go to BIOS and change settings. So I did. I turn off my computer, turn it again.

Same thing happens.

However, the PC doesn't randomly restart or anything like that when sucessfully loading into Windows. So this means it's not the PSU.

What can it be?

can you list your full pc specs plz, so we can try and narrow down the cause of this problem :D

btw ur binary says ;)
Hello fellow OC Members. Thanks for all the help.

It's a Intel Prescott (;_; <-- crying face)

The auto-shutdown thing's temperature is at 80C

With Air, I got upto 80 C, and the comp. used to always shut off. I needed a case, so I got a case w/ cheap kit just for the heck of it (for a place holder until I get a good liquid cooling). As soon as I installed it, the temp was at 50ish. When under load, 60ish. So I'm just saying it's at 60ish.

Just for the heck of it, I asked one of my friend who's going on vacation to lend me his comp, and he said "yes". So, I took everything out of his case and put it in mine. The temp that was for his comp (air) was 40C. When installed on my comp (w/ the cheap liquid cooling) was 30C. So I know it's not the cooling nor the case responsible for the temp b/c of this experiment. Doesn't matter; the new liquid cooling parts I ordered will arrive Wednesday/Thursday. Here's my parts if you want.

Specs:
*Intel Pentium 660 Prescott (3.6ghz; non-overclocked)
*aBit A8XE Motherboard
*2x 1gb Corsair
*ATI X850 PE
*Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
*2x Western Digital 74gb 10,000 RPM (RAID0)
*Seagate 300gb 7,400 RPM
*DVD Burner
*CD Burner

I think that's all...

The case/kit I'm using is this.

Captain Newbie said:
Replace CPU, return to service.

Insta-edit: Alright, seriously. Make sure you have appropriate thermal interface material applied between the CPU's heatspreader and the waterblock--it doesn't take a lot, and too much is actually bad for the things.

Returned it 5 times already. They will refuse my return service anymore...

I put just the amount to cover the whole CPU.

The thing is, it worked fine when I was on air (until it overheated). It never had problems like this...

twoeyes said:
Is any of your water cooling equipment hooked up to your PSU?

Yea. The whole (cheap one; included in the Tai-Chi case; link is on my last post) liquid cooling is hooked up to my PSU.

It could be that the PSU can't handle all that power, but why doesn't it not randomly restart when it sucessfully boots?

It's a 550 Watt Enermax PSU.

sounds like a power supply issue to me. at start up you will have the largest current draw from your power supply and if it can't supply it right, you maybe getting under voltage conditions on your mother board that is causing it to shot down. I wouldn't doubt that water cooling system draws far more current than an air cooled system. from the sound of it your three tries are getting things moving. if your harddrives are still spinning and you have some water flowing, your power supply will not have to supply as much power to those systems, so the three tries might be the number of tries it takes to get everything moving enough so when the third try comes around you don't have under voltage conditions occuring.

I would try a better power supply if you have one or using two psus to test to see if this is what is happening. put your water cooling system on a second psu and you can hard start the psu, with out causing it damage, by connecting the green wire (there should be only one) to any of the black wires in the mobo connector.

just a thought

Back