• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Total immersion rig - need rad product advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SodPen

I don't think this question is high-end enough to warrant placement in the extreme cooling section, but if I'm wrong, mods feel free to move me and accept my apologies in advance.

I'm currently planning and ordering parts to build a rig from the ground up to do a custom total immersion oil cool rig. Obviously, it's been done before and there's plenty of info about it available. My problem is that I'm taking this one step further and actually adding fish into the equation.

What I've got going is a 20 gallon aquarium nested inside a 75 gallon aquarium. I just custom fabricated a shelf for the back corner of the larger aquarium (which will be the water / fish tank) and then I'll have the PC rig (the 20 gallon) on that shelf so that the tops of both aquariums are flush(ish).

My concern is that by having the PC rig submerged in the water of the fish tank, I'm going to have a decent amount of radiant heat exchange into the fish environment, which is potentially bad for the fishies. My PC tank is plexi, so it's not the biggest heat loss concern, but I think certainly enough to warrant going ahead and playing it safe and putting an external radiator system on the PC rig /tank and venting the heat outside both tanks.

I've never worked with external rads for PCs, and all of my research thus far has turned up a lot of results that don't tell me what I really want / need to know. What I'm looking for is general product recommendations for an external rad system in this context. Obviously, it'll be pushing mineral oil and not water, so I don't know how much of a factor the viscosity difference will play (if any). Because this is part of an actual working fish tank, noise factor is much less of an issue as I'll have the pumps and whatnot from the fish in the vicinity. A little bit of hum or rumble is okay, just not "nails in a blender."

As far as the actual PC heat generation, I'm not going to be running anything high end. Basic quad core Intel, 550W PSU, SSD HD, and a Radeon 6750 for graphics. I don't think I'll need a monster rad system, but certainly something that can minimize the heat going into the fish compartment a fair bit.

Any advice or product recommendations is certainly welcome. I know as much about external radiation units as I know about brain surgery, so even a poke and jab towards letting me know some reputable company names would be a big help. Thanks in advance!

i don't know anything about what you're going to build but i thought you could play with the idea of getting tropical fish that like warmer water.

Think this should be under extreme cooling as it's not a typical liquid (water)-cooled system. In this thread:

I.M.O.G. links a few threads and Conundrum states that it's usually done with a modified radiator setup. Good luck and hope you create a build log so we can follow-up on a project that does sound intreating!

Please consider running the setup for a while to monitor the temps of the larger aquarium before introducing fish. And also, do try to make sure that the oil won't get into the water or vice versa and that the fish won't be able to jump into your computer tank.

Otherwise, this seems like it would be an awesome idea and I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for a build log. Good luck!

I'm really taking a stab on the dark, but I'd think you would want to pick a Rad that has minimum pressure drop, so it can let the more viscous oil through at a decent rate. Martin's liquid lab shows this on graph form on their Rad roundups/reviews.

With fish? I can see the fish at 70C water temps being fine. Add PC on and gaming. Hmm, even with the main parts cooled I can easily see 80C temps in an hour in the water temps. Nothing at all do do with the WC temps, there are a lot of parts on a MOBO/GPU that dissipate heat. Fish die. Fish don't like massive temp changes.

The next silly thing is the water will short out parts. You add fish/food/poop and. Your water is so impure shorts ruin parts, your corriosion rates.......

I'm just OMG. Sure try it. Kill fish and ruin all the PC parts.

I'm a hard *** and deal with reality. You seen it done before? Got any links? Ain't gonna happen.

Geeze.............................

No way can you even think it's gonna work.

With fish? I can see the fish at 70C water temps being fine. Add PC on and gaming. Hmm, even with the main parts cooled I can easily see 80C temps in an hour in the water temps. Nothing at all do do with the WC temps, there are a lot of parts on a MOBO/GPU that dissipate heat. Fish die. Fish don't like massive temp changes.

The next silly thing is the water will short out parts. You add fish/food/poop and. Your water is so impure shorts ruin parts, your corriosion rates.......

I'm just OMG. Sure try it. Kill fish and ruin all the PC parts.

I'm a hard *** and deal with reality. You seen it done before? Got any links? Ain't gonna happen.

Geeze.............................

No way can you even think it's gonna work.

The computer will be in a separate aquarium inside of the fish tank, the computer parts won't be submerged into the water with the fish.

It could be a great success or a great failure... but you seem committed; I say do your research, take it slow and post lots of pics... /sub'd
PS - :welcome: to the forums!

get some sharks in there and see if all pissed off while you're gaming lol

conumdrum, poke around youtube and you will find that if your thinking about it it's been done.

a phobya 9 120 rad with a stand should keep the fishy side cooled enough to carry the oxygen, warmer water, less oxygen.
the fish tank pump should flow plenty.

cleaning the fishy side will be one long, slow chore.........

please post a build log of this.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the tips, advice, and suggestions.

Going to go ahead and mark this solved. Not sure how, but Phobya didn't pop up one single time in my preliminary research on this, and having seen their products now, I'm fairly confident on going with one of their products. Cheers, Caddi Daddi.

Also, this is not a gaming use build. Mostly just re-purposing an older stock Dell I had gathering dust in storage for use as a media PC for the living room, hence the mediocre-at-best components.

And, to alleviate any fears... I will be running this rig fully assembled sans fish for a week or two to monitor heat levels before adding anything living. Nothing too exotic, just your standard Tetras and the like.

Thanks again, all. Now to figure out a creative way of lighting this so the glass of the PC tank doesn't become a mirror. ;)

Back