• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg's Eggxpert Review Program

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok thanks Silver! That's just another reason I need to pick up a multimeter...

here is a guide.

You can also just shove the probes in the connectors while it's hooked up to the mobo.

For the 3.3v rails, just connect it to your mobo, power it up and put the red probe in one of the orange wire "slots" on the 24 pin ATX connector. then just touch the case with the black probe, or insert it into a black wire "slot" on the same 24 pin ATX mobo connector.

Or just browse utube :p

Haha, I've been getting some good stuff lately. I'm due for a flash drive or a networking adapter. =/

I'd actually love to get another USB 3.0 external drive, or even a nice 3-4TB internal drive. I always need more storage. Recently I started encoding my whole movie collection using the .mkv container and h264 compression. It's starting to take up quite a bit of space on my hard drives. I typically play the movies on a WDTV live media player, which is reading the files directly off of an external USB 3.0 hard drive. I used to run a media server so I could stream the movies over from my PC, but I found that playing them directly off a hard drive is more reliable for high quality rips.

I wish I wouldn't have sold the 1TB Corsair Voyager Air drive they sent me a long while back. I didn't think I'd have use for it, but now I can think of multiple scenarios where it would have come in very handy.

They have 6TB mechanical drives out now and 8TB drives on the way... I'd happily review one of those beasts. I have two 2TB drives, along with two 1TB drives installed now. If I was sent one of the larger internal drives, I'd uninstall the two 1TB drives and put them in an external enclosure for backups.

Anyway, the new motherboard arrived today. It's a really sweet MOBO! Nicer than I expected. First thing I noticed was how heavy the box was, which is due to the high quality heat sinks on this board. I'm really digging these heat sinks (some nice machining here indeed). Can't wait to start testing this bad boy.

5rPmim.jpg

NJWa9E.jpg

bZk7DU.jpg

dTb9tE.jpg

I like orange... :D

Have fun with it slamscaper. :thup:

I ordered a multimeter, soldering iron, and helping hand/magnifying glass. I needed them for various things, but the meter is partly for the incoming PSU.

I can't wait for it to arrive... :D

A DMM is a very useful tool indeed. Once you start using it you'll wonder how you got along without one for so long.

Yeah... I need one to help figure out the fan on my laptop, and there's some future volt mods I might be planning on doing on some older video cards...

Now I just have to learn how to use one. At least I have internet... :rofl:

I run a 4x4TB USB 3.0 external drive box for my media, 8TB available for media the orther 8TB is a mirror.

I got bitten once by a failed 500GB drive, I swore I'd never get caught like that again.

I typically have the latest version of Acronis True Image installed. I image my system drive over once every couple weeks, plus I keep all my important media stored redundantly over two internal hard drives and a third external hard drive. Redundancy is key. I'd love to have a proper RAID controller so I could automate the whole mirroring process with some added performance to boot, but alas I haven't acquired one as of this time. The RAID controller built into my MOBO is a joke really, at least for any config other than RAID 0 (there is a nice performance gain, but obviously RAID 0 isn't reliable).

I've been down the RAID track and had a bad experience with a softraid. I now run ICE mirror on a weekly basis to mirror the drives. I'll only go back to a RAID should I ever get a decent hardware RAID card.

Yeah I feel the same way. Sadly a good RAID controller is quite expensive.

So the X99 boards are now available at the egg... Praying that they'll send me one of these boards to review. I'm gonna be so jelly when other reviewers start receiving them, lol.

There are a lot of enthusiasts that aren't feeling the new X99 platform. I don't really get that, as it's a monster of a chipset. X79 was getting a bit long in the tooth, so a platform update was sorely needed in the high-end segment. X99 isn't bringing any huge performance gains for gamers. However, power users will surely appreciate this new platform update.

*EDIT* Oh and BTW, the new Gigabyte Z97 board I just received has gold heat sinks on it, not orange. Personally I think the gold heat sinks look sweet, but some people aren't fond of that color. They do have an all black version of this same board as well.

Last edited:
I got an invite to review a PSU. I remember the conversation we had early in the thread about properly reviewing PSUs takes specialized equipment... Yes Bobnova, I'm looking at you.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...re=HX850i_(CP-9020073)-_-17-139-083-_-Product

It's an 850W fully modular Platinum Corsair.

Can you blame me for NOT turning it down? :D
:cheers:
I just received my HX750i to review; dang though, would have rather gotten the 850i (since I'm currently running an M12II 850). Though I suppose either is better than a network device. :)
Now the hard part is deciding which one to keep....I like the Platinum over Bronze of the 750i vs the M12II, but then again the M12II gives me wiggle room on wattage.
Going to finally 'install' tonight....don't have any multimeters or hotboxes like JG but I'll surely test to the best of my ability. :D Have no fears that it'll power my rig just fine; according to EO PSU calc lite I should pull around 650ish W fully loaded. Definitely looking forward to using the Corsair Link software to do some monitoring.

Slamscaper, grats on getting a board...you've now joined the mystical club that we all thought was a mirage. :cheers:

Last edited:
Back