• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got The 1.1a Celly Today

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bonka

I killed my 1.2GHz today when I was using my homemade shim out of plastic. Probably was too thick so it fried the chip. Made this chirp noise in Windows before it shut down. Everything would boot but it wouldn't POST. Oh well. Went out and purchased a 1.1a Retail.

Right now I'm burning in at 133fsb, stable. My friend's house over here is freaking hot so my cpu load temp right now is 48c. I'm hoping for 140+ for this baby. I'll probably still get the new stepping Celerons if they are all that they're cracked up to be.

Hello 1.1, Goodbye 1.2 :/

Last edited:
This chip looks pretty good. Here are the specs:

Retail Malaysia
FPO/BATCH: Q145A705
PACK DATE: 04/0/02

I'm back home again so I reapplied ASIII and lapped the IHS a bit as I noticed a small chip on one of the corners. I'm running at 133fsb*[email protected]. However, this is what baffles me a bit. My load temps are currently 35c using my Thermalright AX-7 and Delta68. From the cpu wattage calculator, I'm putting out about 45 watts of power. With my 1.2, I almost maxxed out the voltage and it put out about 57 watts and it's load was around 37-38c.

Are these temperatures I'm getting with this new Celly good for the voltage I'm running at? Seems high to me. Well, maybe comparisons are bad.

I'm going to try lowering the voltage some more as I think it can run cooler.

UPDATE:

Well, although I didn't burn in all that long at 133, 1.575v seems to be the lowest I can go. If my computer is unstable, even slightly, Prime will spit out errors within 5 minutes. I burned in only for 10min but that was good enough for me for some preliminary numbers.

Anyways, I'm going to overvolt and underclock this sucker. See what it can do. If anything :p

50fsb*[email protected] baby :D

Last edited:
I'm not sure what your room ambient temp is, but there is definitely a deminishing return on cooling using air. When my room temps are around 78F, my CPU temp is usually 36C. This afternoon my room temp got up to 84F and my CPU temp was 39C.

Edward2 said:
I'm not sure what your room ambient temp is, but there is definitely a deminishing return on cooling using air. When my room temps are around 78F, my CPU temp is usually 36C. This afternoon my room temp got up to 84F and my CPU temp was 39C.

Yeah I have inadequate case cooling so my cpu temps are affected by ambient temps. I heard it was suppose to peak at around 21c today, although it is very cool now. My thermometer is busted but I'm sure my ambient temp right now (and usually) is below 20c.

Bonka said:
I killed my 1.2GHz today when I was using my homemade shim out of plastic. Probably was too thick so it fried the chip. Made

Hello 1.1, Goodbye 1.2 :/

Heh ;) :( Sad it had to die. But good you got the real overclocking monster to replace it :D You should be able to replace that noisy Delta with some much less noisier fan...

Bonka, once you have your 1.1 dialed in, I'd appreciate if you do a post on the performance. Like you, I have a 1.2 and I've been thinking of getting a 1.1 to replace it. I ran a post asking what kind of performance increase one would get. The concensus was about 10% increase.

If you can post some benchmarks for your 1.1 compared to your 1.2 that would be appreciated. Also, once you get it going, do you think the performance difference was worth the cost of the 1.1

Thanks.

rayik said:
Bonka, once you have your 1.1 dialed in, I'd appreciate if you do a post on the performance. Like you, I have a 1.2 and I've been thinking of getting a 1.1 to replace it. I ran a post asking what kind of performance increase one would get. The concensus was about 10% increase.

If you can post some benchmarks for your 1.1 compared to your 1.2 that would be appreciated. Also, once you get it going, do you think the performance difference was worth the cost of the 1.1

Thanks.
rayik
I dont think that you will see a lot of difference between a 1.2celly or a 1.1a celly (see my sig). I have both chips and get about the same perfprmance as far as cpu mhz goes. The 1.1a will give you a little better memory scores but the 1.2 should go slightly higher on the cpu side. I notice in your sig that you run at 1.5v on your 1.2 @1476. It sounds like maybe you are not setting your memory to 4-4 at higher than 124fsb plus to get your 1.2 to go highr you will surely need at least 1.7v or more. I think maybe you either just got a bad 1.2 or your not setting something right. The fact that you can run your chip at your current speeds is a good sign that your chip will go much higher unless something else in your system is holding you back, like memory or vidcard ??
Just some thoughts, Good Luck

davefred99, thanks for the response. My st6 will not let me run 4:4 divider at less than 133 fsb. I have bios 8a. It will only let 4:4 be set at 133. I can then continually re-enter bios and lower fsb keeping the 4:4. However, shut down and it won't post. Also, for some reason Sandra shows divider as 3.5 when 4:4 or 3:3 at 123fsb.

The divider and ocing the pci and agp bus is probably what's holding me back. It will go into w2k no problem at 128 and 129 fsb 9 (at 1.65 v). Will run Sandra stress test fine. Will crash on anything graphically intensive (3Dmark or game). Will post at 133 fsb (at 1.75 v). However, w2k will start to load but will stop reporting a "kernal error." Lower fsb and w2k loads fine.

Frustrating about the inability to set 4:4 divider especially when I read posts of folks with the same st6 who have no similar problem.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the 1.1 and 1.2. I figured going to a 1.1 will just raise the memory bandwidth and wasn't sure that would make a significant performace difference.

rayik
move your memory out of slot #1 to #2 and or #3. I read a post by ol'man that indicatede that the some of the memory problems were related to wich slot yopu use. Also if you are yousing more than one module try testing with just one until you figure it out. By the way you may not get all the way to 133fsb plus the st6 mobo actualy sets your fsb faster by about one mhz. example 132 actualy is 133.4 or something.

I've been burning in at 550MHz for 4 straight days. I'll burn in for a week total and see where it gets me. That should be enough?

Optimistically, I'm really hoping for a 145fsb or 1.6GHz result :beer:

The Delta stays :p

I'll be gone camping for a couple of days. Hopefully, something good will be waiting when I tinker with this :D

rayik said:
davefred99, thanks for the response. My st6 will not let me run 4:4 divider at less than 133 fsb. I have bios 8a. It will only let 4:4 be set at 133. I can then continually re-enter bios and lower fsb keeping the 4:4. However, shut down and it won't post. Also, for some reason Sandra shows divider as 3.5 when 4:4 or 3:3 at 123fsb.

The divider and ocing the pci and agp bus is probably what's holding me back. It will go into w2k no problem at 128 and 129 fsb 9 (at 1.65 v). Will run Sandra stress test fine. Will crash on anything graphically intensive (3Dmark or game). Will post at 133 fsb (at 1.75 v). However, w2k will start to load but will stop reporting a "kernal error." Lower fsb and w2k loads fine.

Frustrating about the inability to set 4:4 divider especially when I read posts of folks with the same st6 who have no similar problem.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the 1.1 and 1.2. I figured going to a 1.1 will just raise the memory bandwidth and wasn't sure that would make a significant performace difference.

For some reason my infineon ram does not like running async after 163MHz in my ST6 in slot 1. If I put that ram to the back slot it was a little better and I hit 169MHz fsb then in async mode.

I got a new 1.2GHz celery and it acts just like your does in my ST6. I never tried the ram in a different slot than the first one. That may be the problem. All of my other 3 1.2 GHz celeries ran fine under 133fsb at 1/4 PCI!

originally posted by ol' man

For some reason my infineon ram does not like running async after 163MHz in my ST6 in slot 1. If I put that ram to the back slot it was a little better and I hit 169MHz fsb then in async mode.

I got a new 1.2GHz celery and it acts just like your does in my ST6. I never tried the ram in a different slot than the first one. That may be the problem. All of my other 3 1.2 GHz celeries ran fine under 133fsb at 1/4 PCI!

I have 2 256 sticks. Moved them to slots 2 and 3. Same result w/ divider. I had tried 1 stick before but only in slot 1. I'll try 1 stick in slots 2 and 3 when I get some time. Thanks.

Back