• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ddr!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Oni said:
Why? It's a great game! It's fun, the music is good, and even beyond all that, it's good for you! I got my mat and a copy of the game on Christmas, and I've played it every day since. I've already started to notice things changing. I don't get tired as much either during the game, or during the day. I don't really start sweating until like, my 8 or 9th song, when before I was sweating like a pig after the end of the first track. I also have more stamina during the day doing daily tasks.

But y'know, everybody thinks like you do at first. They think 'That game is gay. Look at those people dancing.' Then one day, you'll try it, wether by yourself, or on a dare from friends or something. And you'll think 'Hey, this isn't really all that bad.' Then you'll be in the mall alone one day and see nobody in the arcade, and nobody on the DDR Max 9th Mix machine, and you'll jingle your pocket and realize you have a buck or two in there and think 'Why not?' and you'll get on it and dance for about 9 songs. By the end you'll be tired and sweaty and you may have a few people around the machine looking and maybe even cheering you on, and you'll think to yourself: 'Damn, this is like one of the coolest games I've ever played, ever!'.

I know. 'cause I was like you once.

Do not knock it until you've tried it. You'll be surprised. ;)

i wasn't really serious :p is this for ps2? im thinking about getting it for my gf...

it's for all of the systems afaik. for xbox it is ultra-mix and for ps2 it is ddr extreme.

yea I recently got hooked on DDR, play only at the arcade, wish I had it for PS2 though. I really suck, I think Im getting better... I hope lol.

So there's a free version of this for PC? How much do these pads cost anyway? What are the system requirements? Would it be acceptable on a TV out to a 13" TV?

I've been thinking about trying this out. My cousin was always really really fat, and when he started college he picked this game up and lost a TON of weight. I'm getting older (and fatter) and getting less exercise...this seems like it might be a fun way to get into it.

i don't know about on a 13'' TV seeing how your focus has to be on small arrows when they line up at the top of the screen. You can get the free game at www.stepmania.com and look around for the packs with the songs in it. I believe www.bemanistyle.com should have some, you may have to register though.

DDR pwns.. for all you people asking where to get a free version of it for the pc, just download StepMania.. then by a pad :p they arent the best, but it sure as heck beats paying for DDR at arcades!.. i play sm most every day, have ~1100 songs for it (mostly 10-15footers) and its excellent for the fingers ;).. plus you can just crack out the legend of max on pad.. ahh playing lom heavy on pad is so much fun, you slip and slide all over the place

Careface*

EDIT* forgive any mistakes here, i really hate the japanese keyboard layout :p

if you think you're good at dancing games, not to rain on your parade but...no

www.arch0wl.com/bee.wmv

i'm not good but for the higher level players, ddr becomes too easy. In the groove is like DDR except much better, harder, and has a better selection of songs. Pump it up is well...i do know its much harder than both. It's way different though...
instead of
Code:
  <>
<>  <>
  <>
it's
Code:
<>  <>
  <>
<>  <>
which makes the above video even crazier(pump it up video)

Right now i can do 9s and a couple 10s(from itg, itg2 and ddr). I can B sakura on heavy, but even though it's technically a ten, its way too easy to be one...same thing with bag. I'm trying to beat paranoia surviver on heavy, but fail at the death runs at the end. For anybody trying to find songs for stepmania, try ddruk.com. You have to register, but you get access to torrents of bumper packs of ddr songs.

hrhrhrFOOT said:
if you think you're good at dancing games, not to rain on your parade but...no.

i hope that wasnt aimed at me.. never did i say i was good at "dancing games".. im well aware there are very very good players out there at both DDR (arch, yasu etc) and at SM (Nima, Reach etc).. if i thought i was good at dancing games, why exactly would i buy a crappy mat instead of a decent pad? lomh isnt exactly hard to AAA (ill never be able to do it, but for others it is).. if people can fc quasar on foot (which they can) then obviously they are good .. lol if this wasnt aimed at me, forgive me for ranting, but if it was.. uhh, sorry to rain on your parade but... i know.

Careface*

Hehehe, no i was just kinda saying it in general to anyone who thinks they are good :p i would never do personal insults like that. The thing is, there's a lot of people who are like YEAH IM SO GOOD I CAN BEAT <8/9 footer> ON HEAVY YEAHHH. They might not say it exactly like that but ;) just an example of someone who's really good.

It's better than the official DDR games and free. Great way to practice your moves before heading to the local arcade to impress chicks ;)

Only if you like to dance like me... My body kinda just floats..I put my hands in my pockets.. sometimes just do a few cricles.. all on the hardest song on heavy. :D

Its funny when your gf goes. O.O I DIDNT KNOW YOU COULD DO THAT.

Haha, stepmania is good for sightreading practice. other than that, i dun think your feet are capable of that speed.

azu said:
Haha, stepmania is good for sightreading practice. other than that, i dun think your feet are capable of that speed.

lol the understatement of the year. i would marry and have the kids (even though im a guy) of the person who could pass Emerald Sword/Black Dragon/Fury of the Storm on foot. Its just not phsically possible :p i doubt even with 4 people, one on each of buttons would be able to pass FOTS :p

Its always fun to dream though :D

Careface*

Hey!! I got past the first runs of FOTS right up to the minijacks...then my legs were like "WTF U DOIN LOL"

But hey...that video i showed is FOTS speed(196bpm i think vs 200 bpm). Just no mini jacks or well...6 minutes of it rofl. Thats excruciating just on fingers...I still can't A it.

joethemole said:
OP: u going to UPenn by any chance?

If OP means Original Poster, then thats me.

No this is my senior year of HS and I didn't have the scores for UPenn. However, I might consider them for Graduate school.

Though I'll probably be going to Temple Univ or PSU Abbington.

Back