• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

One of my new peices of hardware is ****ing my PC up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChRiZo

Recently added:

512mb stick (now a total of 2 gigs, 2 same brand, 2 different, but all same timeings and speed)

250 gig hdd (I Think this is it)

Silverstone 500watt element psu

The reason why I think its the HDD, is because even with my overclocked CPU and memory, both run stable, but I get random crashs from windows saying its a new peice of hardware thats ****ing it up. Ram, i think now, and psu, how would that be? The HDD is SATA2 and my P5P800 i think said sataII was the top slot, so I hooked it up. I install everything fine, but the weird part about it is that when I install stuff, its almost the same speed as my other hdd (40 gig ata). But, whenever I unstall something (gta san andreas, as it would crash on load up), it uninstalled almost 5 gigs and deleted them in less then a few seconds. While, it took around 5 minutes to install. What would happen if it hooked the hdd up to a sataI slot on my mobo.. will it **** anything up? Even if its not that.. what else could it be?

Edit:

untitledcx3.jpg

I've never gotten below 90,000 on that test. Even with 1 gig ram, lower CPU clock speeds and ram speeds, same gpu clocks, i still got 93,***

Last edited:
It would probably work OK. Hardware is usually backward compatible.

My guess about the random craches would be RAM first, PSU second. But, more likely is just your overclock. Try setting it back to default and see if the crashes go away.

As far as the installing. It should be a little faster but its not going to really be a night and day difference. This isn't the hard drive, it's the installation program.

G2g to work, i just ran crystalmark again and got 79k. This is starting to really REALLY **** me off. Overclock is fine, i'm 95% sure, 12 hours prime blend.

"both run stable" but you get "random crashes"
yeah.
you arent stable at all boss.
youll notice the sticky, right at the top of general hardware.
ill even provide a link for you, so its easier.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=335813
and untill you get it stable, forget benchmarks and scores.
thay will be alot more random if your computer is too unstable to do the math.
might wanna watch the language before someone more important notices.
allso, what sort of video card are you running?
games crashing on load up are a sign that its a vidcard/power problem.
good luck with it all.

Set everything back to default, I bet your crashes go away. Fact is, prime isn't the end all be all of computer stability.

Its starting to dye off a lot, i mean, yesterday i was crashing at 20 minutes at a time when doing tasks. Now, this morning, i crashed once for the 2 hours i was on. I set the overclock down a little so the memory is on stock, and the CPU is only at 3.75ghz on vcore of like 1.425 (I don't even think it needs that much juice).

I'm sorry for the dubble post, but heres an update:

I went and found out, that timings were 3-3-3-8 on 3 sticks and 3-4-4-8 on another. This prevented my dual channel preformance (thought was mobo issue). Now, i got dual channel, and my mobo won't boot on my overclocked speeds. I g2g to work again then i'll figure out how to get back to where i was. I'm currently running stock 3.0ghz with a 1:1 ram ratio (200 mhz, stock), with timeings of 3-3-3-8. Any help on the problems would be greatly apprecieated! (spelling). And sorry for the cussing, i've got some anger issues. I just put the specs in my sig, incase anyone is curious.

Last edited:
I would remove the new ram. I presume since you added a 512 stick that all of your ram is 512 sticks. I recommend dropping back to the original ram (matching ram) and stock speeds. If you are stable at that point then forge ahead by adding ram and increasing your overclock.

JimmyG said:
I would remove the new ram. I presume since you added a 512 stick that all of your ram is 512 sticks. I recommend dropping back to the original ram (matching ram) and stock speeds. If you are stable at that point then forge ahead by adding ram and increasing your overclock.

all 512 sticks, everyone of them exact speeds and timeings, even with the 133, 166 mhz timeings. the orginal ram is what crashed.. i've been running an hour with no crashs on 3.0ghz and stock ram 3-3-3-8. Only weird part about it, is that my ram is 2.65 for voltage, but for me to boot into windows and run prime blend stable, its got to run at 2.85 voltage. 2.75 will get me into windows, but restarts after about 20 minutes, 2.65 dosn't boot, and auto voltage just... like not even posts to the bios screen. I'll be back in 8 hours to see if i can overclock steady. Also, whats dual channel compared to single channel?

Back