• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is netflix really all that?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Angry

Ive become somewhat interested in Netflix here lately. Using Hulu quiet alot and seeing Netflix mentioned alot has sparked it I believe...

How quickly do they get the newest dvd releases online?
Ill probably stream everything....

Im getting somewhat tired of grabbing my TV shows via uTorrent and consuming valuable HDD space for a show I probably wont watch again for quiet awhile.

....And I notice that have all 1-5 seasons of Sliders... Hulu only has seasons 1-3...

i picked it up the last week. and im liking it, theres a lot in the streaming lists, but theres a lot that isnt there either. regardless its a nice way to supplement waiting on discs to come (there is a lot of television shows to stream). the streaming is all very nice quality too.

and for 9 bucks a month thats like 1-2 rentals for me + the late fees i will invariably pay so at the worst i'm breaking even if i stay away from the redbox/blockbuster.

By mail is pretty good. Usual turn-over for me is 48 hours (mail movie on Mon, have new one on Wed) almost every time. Because of the new movie studio agreements, a lot of new releases are now delayed 30 days from release.

Streaming for me has been hit and miss. The quality is okay, but it takes for-ev-er to buffer anything. I though it was my cable, but its that way at work as well, which has a much faster connection. Hopefully this will improve with time. Streaming options are also somewhat limited, so have to take that into consideration.

If I had one of the friend/family codes I'd pass it along, but dont have a recent one available.

Netflix is absolutely amazing for those of us who aren't necessarily into the new releases. I'm always discovering older, foreign, and independent films on netflix I never would have had a chance to see otherwise.

If you are a new release blockbuster movie type, the streaming leaves a bit to be desired.

Streaming for me has been hit and miss. The quality is okay, but it takes for-ev-er to buffer anything. I though it was my cable, but its that way at work as well, which has a much faster connection. Hopefully this will improve with time. Streaming options are also somewhat limited, so have to take that into consideration.

It's got to be your connection. I get instant HD streaming over netflix. Just waiting on 5.1.

I never have problems buffering with netflix, even with HD content. This is on 20Mbit down.

I dig the streaming option. I've had the same dvd sitting here for at least 3 months because for some reason, having to physically put the dvd in the drive is just too much for me. I dunno. Sort of wierd. I expected that I would be watching a lot more of them.

Some of the streaming files are bad quality. A lot of the good movies are Starz films, which apparently means the pimply faced intern with no experience was in charge of ripping the film. I generally stop watching once I see the Starz! logo.

Still, I totally dig the service. My wife and I can watch different shows on different computers at the same time, under one account. I was glad to see that. The limit is two, however.

I use netflix streaming almost daily. I have the two dvd and unlimited streaming package and will soon be adding blu-ray. The turn over for the dvds is 2-3 days, which is pretty fast. The biggest problem for me is remembering to send back the dvds. They are adding more and more HD content which is great and hopefully they will be adding the netflix support directly to the PS3 soon. The disc is kind of a pain and there have been a lot of people having trouble with the them.

I tried their trial a few years back and WOW. Very quick shipping I ordered 2 dvds at like noon and got them the next day :O

I use netflix streaming almost daily. I have the two dvd and unlimited streaming package and will soon be adding blu-ray. The turn over for the dvds is 2-3 days, which is pretty fast. The biggest problem for me is remembering to send back the dvds. They are adding more and more HD content which is great and hopefully they will be adding the netflix support directly to the PS3 soon. The disc is kind of a pain and there have been a lot of people having trouble with the them.

Same here. I've watched a movie every night almost for a while now. Streaming is legit. Between that and ordering movies via mail, you're set.

Ive become somewhat interested in Netflix here lately. Using Hulu quiet alot and seeing Netflix mentioned alot has sparked it I believe...

How quickly do they get the newest dvd releases online?
Ill probably stream everything....

Im getting somewhat tired of grabbing my TV shows via uTorrent and consuming valuable HDD space for a show I probably wont watch again for quiet awhile.

....And I notice that have all 1-5 seasons of Sliders... Hulu only has seasons 1-3...

I've had Netflix for a year or two, and always end up keeping the same DVD for months on end. There's just so much available to stream, it's more than I can find time to watch. Picture and sound quality is great. Highly recommended. I just wish they had a cheaper 'streaming only' option.

Uhh..

DISCLAIMER:playingUnlimitedVideos does not host or upload the contained videos. PlayingUnlimitedVideos only gather links/embeds from hosting sites like Megavideo, Tudou, Youku, Zshare, and the like. PlayingUnlimitedVideos is not responsible for the accuracy, compliance, copyright, legality, decency, or any other aspect of the content of other linked sites. If you are a content owner, please contact the appropriate site where the video is coming from and it will be removed from this site automatically

---

So basically it's pirate site that charges cash :rolleyes:

i love netflix, is only 10 bucks a month, i mainly do stream...i have done the mail one once of twice and is great too.

To get back to this.... I have never got around to subscribing.
I have started using ORB to stream some of my TV shows from the house while Im at work.

Uhh..

DISCLAIMER:playingUnlimitedVideos does not host or upload the contained videos. PlayingUnlimitedVideos only gather links/embeds from hosting sites like Megavideo, Tudou, Youku, Zshare, and the like. PlayingUnlimitedVideos is not responsible for the accuracy, compliance, copyright, legality, decency, or any other aspect of the content of other linked sites. If you are a content owner, please contact the appropriate site where the video is coming from and it will be removed from this site automatically

---

So basically it's pirate site that charges cash :rolleyes:

Playineunlimetedvideos does not charge anything. The host sites do in many cases. There are copyright violations and when reported they are pulled. I have megavideo by default because I use the megaupload service. There is no intent only those who upload content maliciously, many videos are pulled megavideo is legit though a little gray.

the selection is great and they ship fast but the streaming selection sucks. not to say there isn't a lot to watch with streaming but it's a fraction of the whole. overall easily worth the 10 bucks though. they seem to have everything.

I'm just back from vacation and tried Netflix streaming on my sister's PS3. TOTAL FAIL, ABSOLUTE AND UTTER SUCKAGE.

No matter where you wanted to start to view a movie, the entire thing had to be re - downloaded anytime you wanted to go to a different scene. Same if you wanted to rewind or fast-forward. It downloaded the entire movie every time. And that's on top of the fact that the general controls are totally unintuitive. That short experience left a nasty taste in my mouth.

I will not be paying Netflix a single cent until streaming is fixed for all the different types of hardware they plan on utilizing. My sister says she still likes it for the fast turn-around via snail mail, but I'm interested in streaming options.

I'm just back from vacation and tried Netflix streaming on my sister's PS3. TOTAL FAIL, ABSOLUTE AND UTTER SUCKAGE.

No matter where you wanted to start to view a movie, the entire thing had to be re - downloaded anytime you wanted to go to a different scene. Same if you wanted to rewind or fast-forward. It downloaded the entire movie every time. And that's on top of the fact that the general controls are totally unintuitive. That short experience left a nasty taste in my mouth.

I will not be paying Netflix a single cent until streaming is fixed for all the different types of hardware they plan on utilizing. My sister says she still likes it for the fast turn-around via snail mail, but I'm interested in streaming options.

I have not had that problem with my PS3. Granted fast-forward and Rewind are different then say a dvd or blu-ray. But I have not had to download the movie every time. It might need to buffer, but not re download. The player on the PS3 is not that different from the browser based one.

Back